Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will We Social Distance Forever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 09:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Sorry for not quoting, Captcha issues, and I'd then want to snip posts more than I'd be comfortable with (hopefully people actually take the time to read through the threads -- I tend to like to read them in linear fashion).

While my "Yes, we will social distance forever (which will make making babies a bigger chore than it already is). I predict long distance relationships to become the norm. Safe sex will be taken to a new level, it will now be phone and virtual reality sex, and done through instant messenger and through PA PMs -- so no change there. The very adventurous and fearless will do it in Hazmat suits. Babies will be grown in isolated bubbles for those that can afford it. Most will just have Tamagotchi babies..." et cetera, was hoping to get a smile (I rarely do that I know of, so I should stop trying, or trying too hard perhaps), I actually did in part have a film called Z.P.G. (Zero Population Growth) in mind, where due to extreme pollution and environmental degradation, it was made illegal to have children for one generation (I don't remember exactly how many years) and mothers were sort of given comfort baby dolls to soother them. Failure to comply resulted in the execution of the baby-makers and the child. The premise of the TV show in my avatar was that the world is overpopulated, this is dooming the planet, and drastic means are necessary to bring the numbers down. It is an unpopular opinion, but I also think that there are too many people on the planet, it's been growing uncontrollably, and something should be down about that. I've never been comfortable with abortion, and have been told I have no say in that, but I would like to see more birth control around the world, but I still rather would like to encourage the smartest to have children.

There's a fun comedy film called Idiocracy where the premise is that the more thoughtful and professional people who plan end up having very few children, whereas the stupid end up having lots of children, which results in a dumbing down of the population. Of course there are a world of problems,abuse of power, and ethical issues there, and so I'm not saying that I support a eugenics/ selective breeding campaign even though I would like the species to improve itself (perhaps with gene editing it will, and it's hardly all about smarts). One could write ten thousand pages on that topic easily and still not cover enough ground to look at all the potential implications.

I do think this planet could do with far less people, we're exploiting the planet. I haven't gone so far as to become an anti-natalist though, and am not nearly as misanthropic as some people I know.
Hmm...I think that more babies may be born 9 months from now from those couples who are locked up together and lose their ability to practice birth control because of loss of healthcare coverage from unemployment, which has hit 6 million in the US alone. I hope I'm wrong Greg. This is a terrible time bring unwanted children into our pandemic world.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 09:17
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Sorry for not quoting, Captcha issues, and I'd then want to snip posts more than I'd be comfortable with (hopefully people actually take the time to read through the threads -- I tend to like to read them in linear fashion).

While my "Yes, we will social distance forever (which will make making babies a bigger chore than it already is). I predict long distance relationships to become the norm. Safe sex will be taken to a new level, it will now be phone and virtual reality sex, and done through instant messenger and through PA PMs -- so no change there. The very adventurous and fearless will do it in Hazmat suits. Babies will be grown in isolated bubbles for those that can afford it. Most will just have Tamagotchi babies..." et cetera, was hoping to get a smile (I rarely do that I know of, so I should stop trying, or trying too hard perhaps), I actually did in part have a film called Z.P.G. (Zero Population Growth) in mind, where due to extreme pollution and environmental degradation, it was made illegal to have children for one generation (I don't remember exactly how many years) and mothers were sort of given comfort baby dolls to soother them. Failure to comply resulted in the execution of the baby-makers and the child. The premise of the TV show in my avatar was that the world is overpopulated, this is dooming the planet, and drastic means are necessary to bring the numbers down. It is an unpopular opinion, but I also think that there are too many people on the planet, it's been growing uncontrollably, and something should be down about that. I've never been comfortable with abortion, and have been told I have no say in that, but I would like to see more birth control around the world, but I still rather would like to encourage the smartest to have children.

There's a fun comedy film called Idiocracy where the premise is that the more thoughtful and professional people who plan end up having very few children, whereas the stupid end up having lots of children, which results in a dumbing down of the population. Of course there are a world of problems,abuse of power, and ethical issues there, and so I'm not saying that I support a eugenics/ selective breeding campaign even though I would like the species to improve itself (perhaps with gene editing it will, and it's hardly all about smarts). One could write ten thousand pages on that topic easily and still not cover enough ground to look at all the potential implications.

I do think this planet could do with far less people, we're exploiting the planet. I haven't gone so far as to become an anti-natalist though, and am not nearly as misanthropic as some people I know.

Hmm...I think that more babies may be born 9 months from now from those couples who are locked up together and lose their ability to practice birth control because of loss of healthcare coverage from unemployment, which has hit 6 million in the US alone. I hope I'm wrong Greg. This is a terrible time bring unwanted children into our pandemic world.

That's a very good and worrying point.

Some noodling: I'd like it if he governments would discuss this issue, and maybe send out free birth control (Trojan Man could become the US mascot), but I wouldn't expect it (religious dogma and pandering to religions is one of the impediments). I feel lucky to live in Canada where we have universal health care, but accessing that health care now presents problems.

At the least I hope this causes more people to realise that something needs to change. I might have thought climate change would have already had that effect, but it seems most people continue with their bad habits when it comes to overconsumption -- an economy based on the "overproduction" and overconsumption of goods, and where greed, and getting ahead of everyone else at the expense of others commonly, is seen by many as a sort of virtue or positive quality (more something to be envied than abhorred).

Edited by Logan - April 02 2020 at 09:26
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 09:32

Some noodling: I'd like it if he governments would discuss this issue, and maybe send out free birth control (Trojan Man could become the US mascot), but I wouldn't expect it (religious dogma and pandering to religions is one of the impediments). I feel lucky to live in Canada where we have universal health care, but accessing that health care now presents problems.

At the least I hope this causes more people to realise that something needs to change. I might have thought climate change would have already had that effect, but it seems most people continue with their bad habits when it comes to overconsumption -- an economy based on the "overproduction" and overconsumption of goods, and where greed, and getting ahead of everyone else at the expense of others commonly, is seen by many as a sort of virtue or positive quality (more something to be envied than abhorred).
With Trump and Pence pandering to right wing evangelicals, I think that would be undoable.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 10:09

With Trump and Pence pandering to right wing evangelicals, I think that would be undoable.

Indeed, and that was very much in my mind. So don't expect the propaganda campaign of "Uncle Sam Needs You!" to be replaced with "Uncle Johnny Needs You and Your Willy!" or "Don't be a dick, cover that prick", or "A Patriotic Penis is a Sheaved Penis" And certainly not a gov't ad campaign along the lines of "Rubbers save lives by preventing lives."

Edited by Logan - April 02 2020 at 10:12
Just a fanboy passin' through.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 11:36
Well I don’t think the wife would be much in favour of my f**king everything and body on Tinder, but I do know one thing.

When the local pub reopens, it will be the mother of all piss upsApprove
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 11:40
Yes, this virus will be responsible for many alcohol related casualties, I'm afraid. LOL
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 11:52

Unfortunately, many say "So hows Medicare-4-All working in Europe, especially Italy and Spain"

Some people will never understood nuance. Correlation is NOT causality.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 12:02
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Unfortunately, many say "So hows Medicare-4-All working in Europe, especially Italy and Spain"

But that's to be expected. It's the opposite argument of Dems saying "I thought you hated socialism" when republicans say they're happy about getting their government bailout checks issued to prop up the economy. Just politics. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 12:38

Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

But that's to be expected. It's the opposite argument of Dems saying "I thought you hated socialism" when republicans say they're happy about getting their government bailout checks issued to prop up the economy. Just politics. 

Unfortunately, most can't seem to define even the simple political terms, making it very difficult to engage in a simple political conversation. It's very petty how half the country seems to complain about pennies, but ignore TRILLIONS spent on murder and lies.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 15:53
As long as it’s not from the opposite sex 😛

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 04 2020 at 15:54
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 22:35
I am not an expert of this COVID-19 (read about it, but not really much, reading about music is still much more interesting), so I donīt know is it really "killer-virus never been this planet before" but I think this kind of pandemic has been in the world before? My work mate looked from the google there had been "Asian"-virus in the 1957 and it had killed 2000 people in Finland. Yes, I know there are lot more people in the world today and we move from land to land, but anyway if this goes as it has gone before, will there just be (half year?) and itīs over? I donīt think there were any vaccines in 1957 for that pandemic.

Anyway this hasnīt been really a big catastrophe in my life so far, me and my family have always liked to be much time in home. I was going to have three gigs where I played, I was going to go in Yes, VdGG & Nick Masonīs gigs, VdGG is already moved to November, I believe those two are going also to move or cancel. If there really not going to be any possibility to play to live audience and also be in the concert in the future I think I will miss that a little, but I believe I could live with it.

Edited by Mortte - April 04 2020 at 22:42
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 01:56
^the so called 'Spanish Flu' outbreak back in 1918 was the biggest killer before - about 50-100 million people lost their lives.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 03:11
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I am not an expert of this COVID-19 (read about it, but not really much, reading about music is still much more interesting), so I donīt know is it really "killer-virus never been this planet before" but I think this kind of pandemic has been in the world before? My work mate looked from the google there had been "Asian"-virus in the 1957 and it had killed 2000 people in Finland. Yes, I know there are lot more people in the world today and we move from land to land, but anyway if this goes as it has gone before, will there just be (half year?) and itīs over? I donīt think there were any vaccines in 1957 for that pandemic.

just after WW1, the "Spanish Flu" killed 20M people over two years, but the transport offer and mobility  were much scarcer than what today's offer is. EDIT:  never heard of Richard's figure, though

the  black and/or bubonic plague tok decades to spread and killed millions as well during the middle ages

Edited by Sean Trane - April 05 2020 at 03:13
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 03:47
"Will we social distance forever?" - No, of course not.

We are social creatures, and being social is part of our DNA.

There have been plagues and pandemics throughout human history, but they have never stopped us returning to our social instincts.

There may be a period of re-adjustment once the virus has passed, but, in ten years time, we will be socialising just like we always have done.
Songs cast a light on you
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 08:44
Get off my lawn!
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 08:34
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

"Will we social distance forever?" - No, of course not.

We are social creatures, and being social is part of our DNA.

There have been plagues and pandemics throughout human history, but they have never stopped us returning to our social instincts.

There may be a period of re-adjustment once the virus has passed, but, in ten years time, we will be socialising just like we always have done.

My instincts didn't tell me to be social last year.. I go online to pinpoint my interests, and after this is all over, I have no interest in meeting new people, or seeing old people.

Edited by MortSahlFan - April 06 2020 at 08:35

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 08:51
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

just after WW1, the "Spanish Flu" killed 20M people over two years, but the transport offer and mobility  were much scarcer than what today's offer is. EDIT:  never heard of Richard's figure, though

the  black and/or bubonic plague tok decades to spread and killed millions as well during the middle ages
There are estimates of up to 100 million deaths from Spanish Flu and around 500 million people were infected, but of course hygiene and medicine have advanced a lot since then.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 09:33
It definitely will change the outlook of rock lyricists....

Come on, come on, come on
Don't touch me, babe
Can't you see that I am still afraid
Chances are I never will get laid
Why won't you maintain your distance?
Wasn't that the promise that you made?

Now I'm gonna love you
But my mask will still remain
I'm gonna love you
But stay six feet away
Till judgement day...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 16:00
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

It definitely will change the outlook of rock lyricists....

Come on, come on, come on
Don't touch me, babe
Can't you see that I am still afraid
Chances are I never will get laid
Why won't you maintain your distance?
Wasn't that the promise that you made?

Now I'm gonna love you
But my mask will still remain
I'm gonna love you
But stay six feet away
Till judgement day...

The Dirty Doorhandles