Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I don't like Neo Prog, change my mind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:47
Categories or subgenres or whatever you want to call them are good for figuring out what you like and can give you a rough idea(sometimes very rough)as to what something sounds like. I think sometimes people use it as a crutch though to avoid discovering something they might otherwise possibly be into. I'm guilty of this myself as I tend to stay away from stuff labelled "RIO" or "avant" as well as maybe a few other genres. So it because a matter of convenience but it can be taken too far imo. If you think you might like something listen to it on youtube regardless of how it's labelled here. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 04 2020 at 09:48
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:58
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

My personal perspective is that it's better to try to classify music on the album or even track level commonly rather than classifying bands, which may well have diverse discographies.
I can follow this rationale much better than the dumping rationale........ie, I Think I'm Going Bald is nothing like The Necromancer.
LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 10:08
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

My personal perspective is that it's better to try to classify music on the album or even track level commonly rather than classifying bands, which may well have diverse discographies.

I can follow this rationale much better than the dumping rationale........ie, I Think I'm Going Bald is nothing like The Necromancer.
LOL

True. And keeping with Caress of Steel, "Lakeside Park" is little like "Bastille Day". Thank you, by the way, you just chose my album to listen to again -- love that album, been too long.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 10:39

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

LOL

True. And keeping with Caress of Steel, "Lakeside Park" is little like "Bastille Day". Thank you, by the way, you just chose my album to listen to again -- love that album, been too long.
I spun it twice last night....also thanks to another forum and thread on the album. We discussed the awesomeness of the album and that got me in the same mentality as you.

I think of that album and in the context of their whole catalog, I remain amazed. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 12:40
Riverside...now there is a mighty fine band...prog metal if you ask me more prog than metal tho....not neo prog...???
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 14:14
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Riverside...now there is a mighty fine band...prog metal if you ask me more prog than metal tho....not neo prog...???

Nobody said Riverside is neo-prog. I said they were influenced by it (big difference) on their early albums, I for one hear Marillion and even IQ on their first 3 albums. That's all.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 16:00
Okay, after seeing nothing but glowing reviews for the new pendragon album, I just ordered the CD. Perhaps this will change my mind on Neo Prog
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 16:14
I wouldn't order based on reviews unless the descriptions in the reviews make it look like it should be the kinds of music I like (oh, in some categories I love I wouldn't be that worried). I'd be particularly wary if it's in a category that I haven't liked.

I'm commonly more interested in the details of specific reviews (say if it references music I like) than some general sense of them, or quantity.   I'm more interested in the descriptions of the music than how much people like the albums commonly (the descriptions and reference points are what get me interested-- that demonstrates to me if this should be music up my alley).

Also, there are some reviewers I trust more than others because I know we share similar tastes. There is a fanboy mentality often when it comes to reviews of new albums. I made the mistake of getting a few albums that people seemed to be raving about not long before I joined this site, and had only myself to blame when the music didn't at all appeal. I now almost always try to listen before I buy -- well, except when it comes to second-hand vinyls, which I might buy just because of the cover. I have found that you can often judge a book or an album quite well by the cover, contrary to popular cliché.

Edited by Logan - April 04 2020 at 16:19
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 16:23
I'm not super picky when it comes to music but I guess i'm taking a risk anyways. It has a good review from BrufordFreak and hes a reviewer I often find myself agreeing with so I figure eh, what the hell. Also, maybe its silly, but If I actually buy a physical copy I find I am more likely to keep re-listening to it even if I don't initially like it as a way to get my moneys worth. So i'm excited to try this band out!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 16:26
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I'm not super picky when it comes to music but I guess i'm taking a risk anyways. It has a good review from BrufordFreak and hes a reviewer I often find myself agreeing with so I figure eh, what the hell. Also, maybe its silly, but If I actually buy a physical copy I find I am more likely to keep re-listening to it even if I don't initially like it as a way to get my moneys worth. So i'm excited to try this band out!

well, you like Camel, you might enjoy Pendragon's last work.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 16:37

Now I'm thinking I might give it a try too, but then there are some games for the Switch that I'd rather buy first, including a Breath of the Wild expansion pack. Hmm, games first, Neo-Prog later.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 16:55

Now I'm thinking I might give it a try too, but then there are some games for the Switch that I'd rather buy first, including a Breath of the Wild expansion pack. Hmm, games first, Neo-Prog later.

If its the motorcycle DLC I say 100% go for it
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 17:13

If its the motorcycle DLC I say 100% go for it

It is, the Champion's Ballad, and will do. :)
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 01:00
The last few Pendragon were one spin and no WOW (so in the one spin bin) like the new IQ ...will get the new one for my birthday...

Edited by M27Barney - April 05 2020 at 01:02
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 01:05
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

I think I don't like Neo Prog because it is way too outdated and has a very 80-90ish sound : too much clearness, a lack of emotion, a digital sound (not an analogic one). This is definitely not my cup of tea for a 70's prog lover as me but the fact is that I don't dislike 80's and 90's music but I like it punk, so the Neo Prog domain is maybe too Pop for me, too clean. I don't know. But I feel like making a mistake when I see the high ratings of Neo Prog albums such as IQ's, Marillion's or Flower King's.

the early IQ albums (Tales From The Lush Attic and The Wake) were a bit rough ( not clean and polished as you suggest) and there was also a bit of a punk vibe going on with the band. I can't imagine these 2 albums could be described as 'pop'.
After that it did change certainly and there is more polish to the music.

A lot of people don't like Neo Prog and you have explained some of the reasoning.

For me it works well when the vocals are strong and there is plenty of atmosphere. I don't need music to sound 'rough' but I'm wondering that if you don't like music sounding too 'clean' then how do you get on with a lot of prog rock that was made in the seventies? It's not as if ELP, Yes, Genesis or Tull were particularly punkish in any way shape or form.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 02:38
Soft and wet....you cannot possibly like DSOTM then...😂
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 03:09
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Soft and wet....you cannot possibly like DSOTM then...😂

that's off topic
Dead
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 04:26
Change your mind? Why? Is there something wrong with the one you have? All I know is i was a fan of Marillion with Script For A Jester's Tear and then didn't really follow any albums after that.  We are talking pre-internet days after all. Then a friend I made on AOL reintroduced me to them.  This was after Afraid Of Sunlight came out, which I think is still my favorite.  I really liked Brave as well.  Got to know some of the albums after Script and there are a few I really like and some that are men. I think I may have heard some IQ when AOL had a progressive rock streaming station but they never caught on.  I just recently heard their new 2019 album and I am liking that one a lot.  So if you really want to be convinced, start there. Wink If not don't sweat it.  Ii doubt it will ever be one of my favorite sub-genres and I really don't care.  I know what I like and I like what I know.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 05:09
I am probably not the best person to win you over to the Neo side...but I do like me some early Marillion, IQ as well as the post punky outfit I always seem to forget from around the same time..errr..the singer’s name is something with Mann methinks
Aaanyway once in a while I come across artists that I like...like I and Thou fx:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_vHNHMOpIKA
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 06:28
^ Geoff Mann - Twelfth Night 👍🏼
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>