Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camel Vocals ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: How would you rate Camel vocals ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.00%]
10 [20.00%]
36 [72.00%]
3 [6.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camel Vocals ?
    Posted: April 07 2020 at 04:48
Well the choice is yours Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 04:55
they're fine, good, ok
but not great

and I love Camel.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 05:00
I love the music of Camel but for some reason I`m not really into the vocals .. I suppose they are OK Tongue
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 05:36
Well they have had several different vocalists. I would say their best vocals were by Richard Sinclair and Colin Bass. However I assume this poll is mostly referring to Bardens and Latimer and I take no issue with either of them.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 05:49
Somewhere between fair- very good. I prefer Richard Sinclair, though Bardens had a decent voice as well. Latimer is O.K. and Ferguson is kind of bland - pleasant, inoffensive etc.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 06:17
I dig them . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 07:07
From what I remember their record company were shocked when The Snow Goose had no vocals. When they were making Moonmadness they decided they should have vocals but there is a reason why they were "electronically enhanced" so I'm going to say "fair".
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 07:21
Somewhere between bad and fair I guess. They were great instrumentally, but the vocals are the weak link IMO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 07:51
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Somewhere between bad and fair I guess. They were great instrumentally, but the vocals are the weak link IMO.

I agree. Voted for bad because they are (not really bad) but under the average. 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 07:55
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Are you reading in my mind?

Yesterday I wrote my Moonmadness' review saying that the vocals are the weakest point of the album.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 08:16
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Yesterday I wrote my Moonmadness' review saying that the vocals are the weakest point of the album.

Hi,

Considering how different the album is from the previous one, I think that the main issue here might have been a rush job ... if not the lack of funds to record something properly. To me, and my listening, when hearing Camel's albums in order (1st, Mirage, SG and then Moonmadness), I think that something is missing between SG and Moonmadness ... all of a sudden, they were a bit more ... FM radio (American!) oriented, to try and get an audience, and not get buried with a piece they could not sell in America, which, at least in Santa Barbara, Snow Goose got a lot more attention and appreciation, and no complaints on the phone ... than Mirage ... which at the time we brought in as an import ... it had not been released yet! It's almost like Moonmadness was the first American release (not quite, but SG got no help and Mirage showed up late) by the band that got some attention!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 08:44
I've no problems with Latimer vocals on Camel. He has a deep voice but it's ok for me.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 11:01
can't really answer.  Technically not very good but they work for the music.  And their early 80s incarnations had Chris Rainbow and (possibly) Dave Paton who were2 good vocalists.  Also, who sang "Rose of Sharon" with Mae McKenna?  Seemed pretty good
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 11:42
Richard Sinclair, Chris Harley and Colin Bass are (or sadly were in the late Chris Harley's case) excellent singers. Bardens and Ferguson were OK and Latimer has matured from competent to a very good performer. But Pete Jones is absolutely amazing, both as a singer and an instrumentalist.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 12:56
Somewhere between average and very good
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 13:43
The vocals are varied in style from album to album, and obviously vocalist to vocalist. I would put them in a 'Good' category (between 'fair' and 'very good' - as at the extremes they are in either category, but mostly they lie between them).
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 14:20
Average really, but the quality of the musicianship more than compensates.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 15:07
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Hi,

Considering how different the album is from the previous one, I think that the main issue here might have been a rush job ... if not the lack of funds to record something properly. To me, and my listening, when hearing Camel's albums in order (1st, Mirage, SG and then Moonmadness), I think that something is missing between SG and Moonmadness ... all of a sudden, they were a bit more ... FM radio (American!) oriented, to try and get an audience, and not get buried with a piece they could not sell in America, which, at least in Santa Barbara, Snow Goose got a lot more attention and appreciation, and no complaints on the phone ... than Mirage ... which at the time we brought in as an import ... it had not been released yet! It's almost like Moonmadness was the first American release (not quite, but SG got no help and Mirage showed up late) by the band that got some attention!

Mirage was held up in the US by issues regarding the cover art and the bodged deal over the supposed sponsorship deal between Camel cigarettes and Geoff Jukes And Max Hole, Camels managers.. but it cant have been for long.. ive got US radio 'banded' promo copies of all three lps and Mirage was released on Janus records around the same time as Snow Goose if not a little earlier and featured the awful 'moon-dragon-thing' coverWink

Sorry, back to the OP.. ive always found the vocals on the earlier albums a little under-stated but perfectly in keeping with the music and spirit of the band so i'll go Fair. 

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 15:08
There's some stuff for which their vocals work very well, even among the old work, like Air Born. They had some technically good solid singers and some (Latimer) who have improved over time. I, too, like Richard Sinclair most. They have always been good at writing melodies that suit their singers. That said, none of them stands out, nobody would ever think of a singer's quality first when it comes to Camel, and that's for a reason. They're nowhere near a Gabriel, Anderson, or Stratos when it comes to uniqueness and character.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 15:16
If you listen Camel for the vocals mostly, you're doing it wrong. Of course they are not anything fantastic, but they serve their purpose perfectly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>