Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How many here listens contemporary classical music
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many here listens contemporary classical music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 15:53
An interesting phenomenon btw. is when people from the classical world are trying to turn rock into classical. The results are not always successful. I once heard a CD with orchestral versions of songs from The Wall and The Dark Side of the Moon; it was insufferable, and very much felt like a trivialization of the original music to me.

I also very much prefer the original Low album to Philip Glass' Low Symphony.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 22:55
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Just listened almost those both through (almost, I just couldn´t wholly) and they´re sounding exactly same as the earlier ones I heard from her. Have to say Saariaho leaves me cold. To me it seems her music´s only meaning is to scary listener and make him feel bad. There is horror in many of my favorite artists music (for example Pink Floyd, Magma, Faust etc.) but if there is nothing else that just leave me cold. Only little bit interesting part is the end of the second piece where that female voice starts to whispering, but that´s not really enough to woke my interest. But of course who enjoys her music, that´s totally ok to me.
Fair enough...there's a point where sometimes one has to conclude that something just isn't going to click. I don't find only horror in Saariaho at all - in those pieces I can hear the birdsong, albeit as one might hear it as a bird - vital assertions about territory and survival. And I can feel a linkage to Messiaen there. But all this is completely subjective, of course.

Do you know Tüür at all?  This is my favourite from what I know of his work:

Also features a percussion solo from Evelyn Glennie that absolutely rocks.
Yes, you´re right, it´s all very subjective. Sometimes some music just irritate you and you can´t exactly know why. Also there artists I think everything they have made is fascinating!

I am not sure have I even heard Tüür´s name. Will listen it today!

How about you, have you heard anything about Pekka Airaksinen? I don´t think he´s put into CCM at all, but anyway he´s really of his own and hard to compare anybody else. I don´t think this great album is fully into net, but here are some pieces from it (also info about Pekka):
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 23:01
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

An interesting phenomenon btw. is when people from the classical world are trying to turn rock into classical. The results are not always successful. I once heard a CD with orchestral versions of songs from The Wall and The Dark Side of the Moon; it was insufferable, and very much felt like a trivialization of the original music to me.

I also very much prefer the original Low album to Philip Glass' Low Symphony.
Just listened symphony version about Who´s Tommy. I quite like it, although the original is better. I think the main problem about collaborations of Symphony Orchestra and Rock music is, that arrangements are too close to the original piece. Metallica´s symphony album is the worst example of that: Metallica plays their songs like they´ve always played them and symphony orchestra just try to do something back of it. I believe that Who is much better for the reason original music already has lots of symphonic elements (and there isn´t rock band at all in it except some guitars). Anyway I think Purple in their Concerto and the Nice in Five Bridges succeeded quite good. Of course "Atom Heart Mother" is masterpiece, but there isn´t full symphony orchestra.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 04:13

How about you, have you heard anything about Pekka Airaksinen? I don´t think he´s put into CCM at all, but anyway he´s really of his own and hard to compare anybody else. I don´t think this great album is fully into net, but here are some pieces from it (also info about Pekka):
I've heard his Buddhas of Golden Light some years ago and thought it was interesting (despite the New Age-y title) but I never got the record. I had sort of forgotten about him. Will check this one out, thanks.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 13 2020 at 04:14
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 07:40
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I've heard his Buddhas of Golden Light some years ago and thought it was interesting (despite the New Age-y title) but I never got the record. I had sort of forgotten about him. Will check this one out, thanks.
Buddhas is great album too, but Afrodipankara is even greater! Pekka was Buddhist, but really his music is far away from ordinary new age music. I really love also his early works in Sperm-collective, Samsa-Trio and also under his own name (album One Point Music) when he used guitar. But it´s sad there is so much music of his not available at the moment in any form, he released it much in CDr-form. I have bought all the vinyls available, I think I will try to buy those few CD:s still available.

Listened that Tüür-symphony, he´s not also fully my cup of tea, but anyway lot more interesting than Saariaho. Really loved Evelyn´s percussion work in it, it´s really funny I just read again Björk´s book and Evelyn was also in her "MTV Unplugged"-concert! I am not really a big drumsolo-fan, but when it´s as fascinating as it is in Evelyn, I could listen it endless (I think only ones as great I know are Bill Bruford, Neil Peart & Pierre Moerlen). And what´s more fascinating she´s deaf! Really would like to see her play sometime in the future! Also I liked the marimba parts after those great percussion parts. I noticed Tüür´s fifth symphony has electric guitar, I think I will listen it some day.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 12:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

No...don't listen to modern 'classical' material......I do like the old stuff though like Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi, etc...
but maybe it's time to broaden my listening areas.

I love those to but I do listen to Contemporary Classic Music 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 12:26
I got into contemporary classical music after a post here led me to explore the music of 1966 (fifty years ago at the time). Not being impressed by the rock music I started looking at what else an experimental music lover could have listened to back then, and was very surprised to find what had been going on in the “classical” world.

It took a while to get used to the different sounds and structures but my favourites now are Birtwistle, Boulez, Crumb, Ligeti, Nono, Penderecki, Scelsi, Schnittke, Takemitsu, Varese, Xenakis and a few works of Stockhausen. You might find a few free downloads on archive.org to get a bit of a taster.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 13:22
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I like some Philip Glass music. However, I'm not really a fan of classical music, contemporary or otherwise (except perhaps Béla Bartók).

I'm a big fan of Philip Glass, so much so that I started a PA blog for him, although my hopes of finding other Philip Glass fans here were shattered like a Glass House.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 13:44
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I like some Philip Glass music. However, I'm not really a fan of classical music, contemporary or otherwise (except perhaps Béla Bartók).

I'm a big fan of Philip Glass, so much so that I started a PA blog for him, although my hopes of finding other Philip Glass fans here were shattered like a Glass House.

Hi,

A lot of the earlier electronic music was much more difficult to listen to than it is today ... when a lot in our ears has already listened to enough of it, that it allows the listener to make a comment about the music, but the biggest thing about the early day stuff is that a lot of it was experimental, and I go way back to the FORBIDDEN PLANET soundtrack, and then to the 60's with the likes of Beaver & Krause and even the Tibetan Bells series that came out in those early days which were not electronic, but really, almost had the same feel when you were listening ... what is this all about?

Beaver & Krause were, however, more into making sure that the synthesizer was not strange and could create some sounds that your ear could resolve, a lot of nature sounds, and stuff that became well known and respected by a lot of later generation synthesizer folks ... including TD.

Nowadays, I have not heard enough to make a judgement, however there are quite a few exploratory piano/synth players and their stuff is interesting, but I can not say how it fits with electronic music, although it does not "sound" to me as if it was meant to be a classical styled composition ... since the sound side of things is more important, it seems, than the ensuing music put together ... but this is a bit of another story since the ability to mike and amplify these things, now allows for sound creation that was rarely there before ... like for example, it used to be bad and insulting to use your hands to hit the piano itself (not the notes), but after everyone saw KE do it many times (Rachel Flowers shows it well several times -- much more visible in the piano/organ versions of his music), it became normal ... I have albums by one woman in Japan that does this a lot on her work ... and it is amplified and touched up by sound effects to a small degree.

But, honestly, to me, the stuff that Vangelis does, that Ryuichi Sakamoto does (for the most part), the stuff that Kitaro did (and still does? Haven't listened lately to him), was "contemporary classical music" to my ears, as was Tomita, although some folks have commented that he was just an interpreter not exactly a composer! Even Mike Oldfield fits, although I think that in his last few years he has been more repetitive than he has been creative, and I think he just needs to get out and go smell some flowers and enjoy a little more life, and stop being stuck in the cocoon that mostly allows him to only repeat himself ... even his sister has evolved more, and is now much more interesting than he is.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 14:21
My favourite album by Mike Oldfield is his classical album: Music of the Spheres

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 14:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Hi,

A lot of the earlier electronic music was much more difficult to listen to than it is today ... when a lot in our ears has already listened to enough of it, that it allows the listener to make a comment about the music, but the biggest thing about the early day stuff is that a lot of it was experimental, and I go way back to the FORBIDDEN PLANET soundtrack, and then to the 60's with the likes of Beaver & Krause and even the Tibetan Bells series that came out in those early days which were not electronic, but really, almost had the same feel when you were listening ... what is this all about?

Beaver & Krause were, however, more into making sure that the synthesizer was not strange and could create some sounds that your ear could resolve, a lot of nature sounds, and stuff that became well known and respected by a lot of later generation synthesizer folks ... including TD.

Nowadays, I have not heard enough to make a judgement, however there are quite a few exploratory piano/synth players and their stuff is interesting, but I can not say how it fits with electronic music, although it does not "sound" to me as if it was meant to be a classical styled composition ... since the sound side of things is more important, it seems, than the ensuing music put together ... but this is a bit of another story since the ability to mike and amplify these things, now allows for sound creation that was rarely there before ... like for example, it used to be bad and insulting to use your hands to hit the piano itself (not the notes), but after everyone saw KE do it many times (Rachel Flowers shows it well several times -- much more visible in the piano/organ versions of his music), it became normal ... I have albums by one woman in Japan that does this a lot on her work ... and it is amplified and touched up by sound effects to a small degree.

But, honestly, to me, the stuff that Vangelis does, that Ryuichi Sakamoto does (for the most part), the stuff that Kitaro did (and still does? Haven't listened lately to him), was "contemporary classical music" to my ears, as was Tomita, although some folks have commented that he was just an interpreter not exactly a composer! Even Mike Oldfield fits, although I think that in his last few years he has been more repetitive than he has been creative, and I think he just needs to get out and go smell some flowers and enjoy a little more life, and stop being stuck in the cocoon that mostly allows him to only repeat himself ... even his sister has evolved more, and is now much more interesting than he is.

I enjoy classical guitar, and I love how guitarists used to incorporate classical guitar into progressive rock pieces.  It was part and parcel of a lot of 70s prog, but these days there is a tendency toward heavier sounds and more atonal character.  One of the subtleties of classical guitar is that some notes will ring out and remain present during and following chord changes (sometimes they are pedal tones), whereas these days the chord changes are, more often than not, very abrupt and harsh on the ears.  Kitaro!  Now that is a name I haven't heard in quite a long time.  Do you think of Kitaro as being more classical or New Age?  When, you mentioned the person hitting the piano, that reminded me of the late Michael Hedges, who used to do that with guitar to create percussive effects.  I highly recommend his album "Aerial Boundaries", especially the song "Ragamuffin", on which he does use this percussive effect.  

I can't get the link to work, but if anyone is interested, they can copy and paste:
Studio version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv20EbwIhTE&feature=youtu.be
Live version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulWPVb8t44&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Jaketejas - June 04 2020 at 14:33
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 14:46
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I enjoy classical guitar, and I love how guitarists used to incorporate classical guitar into progressive rock pieces.  It was part and parcel of a lot of 70s prog, but these days there is a tendency toward heavier sounds and more atonal character.  One of the subtleties of classical guitar is that some notes will ring out and remain present during and following chord changes (sometimes they are pedal tones), whereas these days the chord changes are, more often than not, very abrupt and harsh on the ears.  Kitaro!  Now that is a name I haven't heard in quite a long time.  Do you think of Kitaro as being more classical or New Age?  When, you mentioned the person hitting the piano, that reminded me of the late Michael Hedges, who used to do that with guitar to create percussive effects.  I highly recommend his album "Aerial Boundaries", especially the song "Ragamuffin", on which he does use this percussive effect.  

I can't get the link to work, but if anyone is interested, they can copy and paste:
Studio version:
Live version:
I listen to some Philip Glass, also quite familiar with Michael Hedges.  I feel that Kitaro moves in and out of both classical and New Age (and enjoy some of his work as well).  Another composer I enjoy who seems to do both, at least to my ear, is Ludovico Einaudi.  I like some New Age, but want it to not be too airy and light.  I'm not fond of super-discordant modern classical, however, either.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 15:39
^^ I also like Einaudi, Vangelis, Kitaro, Karunesh, Tomita & Yanni. and several other artists who are known by just one name, including Madonna. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 04 2020 at 15:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 15:47
Definitely a Vangelis fan, too.  Smile
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 18:41
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Studio version:
Live version:
I listen to some Philip Glass, also quite familiar with Michael Hedges.  I feel that Kitaro moves in and out of both classical and New Age (and enjoy some of his work as well).  Another composer I enjoy who seems to do both, at least to my ear, is Ludovico Einaudi.  I like some New Age, but want it to not be too airy and light.  I'm not fond of super-discordant modern classical, however, either.

Yes, there is definitely an interface between prog and New Age, as well as prog and classical.  As far as straight up classical guitar goes, I love the usual suspects:  Andre Segovia (RIP), Christopher Parkening, Julian Bream, Scott Tennant, Liona Boyd, Elliot Fisk, Narcisso Yepes (RIP), John Williams (the OTHER one, who incidentally was in a nice Prog band called Sky), Kim Chung, among others.  My all-time favorite is Christopher Parkening, as he could play pieces by Bach like nobody's business.  But, I like different guitarists for different pieces.  Julian Bream plays my favorite Bach piece, BWV1000, really nicely.  Segovia and Kim Chung played Recuerdos de La Alhambra beautifully.  Still, Parkening was so good at changing his tone based on hand position, especially on pieces like Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 18:54

Yes, there is definitely an interface between prog and New Age, as well as prog and classical.  As far as straight up classical guitar goes, I love the usual suspects:  Andre Segovia (RIP), Christopher Parkening, Julian Bream, Scott Tennant, Liona Boyd, Elliot Fisk, Narcisso Yepes (RIP), John Williams (the OTHER one, who incidentally was in a nice Prog band called Sky), Kim Chung, among others.  My all-time favorite is Christopher Parkening, as he could play pieces by Bach like nobody's business.  But, I like different guitarists for different pieces.  Julian Bream plays my favorite Bach piece, BWV1000, really nicely.  Segovia and Kim Chung played Recuerdos de La Alhambra beautifully.  Still, Parkening was so good at changing his tone based on hand position, especially on pieces like Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring.
[/QUOTE]
My husband's mom took him to a Segovia concert when he was five and he asked her if she would get him a guitar.  She did, and also found one of his proteges to teach him (grew up in the Los Angeles area).  We have a boxful of signed Segovia LPs.  We listen(ed) to many of these fine guitarists.  There is a reason why they are so noted! And thank you for remarking on the intersections of these various genres.  

Edited by Snicolette - June 04 2020 at 18:55
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 18:58
I recently ordered a Tony Banks classical cd(six pieces for orchestra). Also, Mike Oldfield has a good one called Music Of The Spheres which some of you might like. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 04 2020 at 21:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 19:06
Second time today I've heard of the Oldfield Spheres recording (which I have not heard, so will look it up).  I've really enjoyed Anthony Phillips latest "Strings of Light," recording.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 19:28
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

My husband's mom took him to a Segovia concert when he was five and he asked her if she would get him a guitar.  She did, and also found one of his proteges to teach him (grew up in the Los Angeles area).  We have a boxful of signed Segovia LPs.  We listen(ed) to many of these fine guitarists.  There is a reason why they are so noted! And thank you for remarking on the intersections of these various genres.  

[/QUOTE]

You’re telling me that he experienced all that AND he is married to a Prog enthusiast? Your husband is, to quote ELP, a Lucky Man!

Edited by Jaketejas - June 04 2020 at 19:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 19:35

You’re telling me that he experienced all that AND he is married to a Prog enthusiast? Your husband is, to quote ELP, a Lucky Man!

Well, we were both very lucky, although he's gone to the other side, now.  Still, I smile every day when I think of him, because of how we changed each other's lives for the better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>