Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magma - Retrospective I-II

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these do you prefer on Retrospective 1 and 2?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [46.67%]
1 [6.67%]
7 [46.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma - Retrospective I-II
    Posted: April 14 2020 at 12:03
I don't expect that many here will know this release (at one time more in the forum would have know t), but just based on Rétrospective Vol. 1 & 2/ RetrospektÏw I-II, which of these do you prefer?

I love both, but "Theusz Hamtaahk" off it was revelatory to me when I first heard it. It was one of my earliest Magma acquisitions.

There are few issues of this, I have the RetrospektÏw I-II Seventh Records release, which places "Theusz Hamtaahk" as the first track.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 12:08
They are both amazing! Can't really choose between them.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 12:14
Theusz Hamtaahk.
Aroid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 13:27
Eventually they are more or less 'the same'. Together with Wurdah Ïtah forming the Theusz Hamtaakh triology. Published separately in the early 70-ties and together, I think, not earlier as 2001. That is as far as I know, if you have other info, please share. But which I  love better?? As I fell in love with Magma through Mëkanïk so I choose that one.

Aroid
Tendiwa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 13:49
MDK got me into Magma, but recently I've been enjoying Theusz Hamtaahk more so that's what I voted for.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 13:59
^^ Aroid, I also fell in love with Magma due to MDK -- the MDK studio album from 1973 in my case (I also really like the earlier recorded Mekanïk Kommandöh). Kobaia later became my favourite Magma studio album, but I really like all of them. I hardly ever listen to the MDK studio album anywhere, but I mean specifically the versions off Rétrospective Vol. 1 & 2/ RetrospektÏw I-II in case that's not clear.

I didn't yet have Wurdah Ïtah when I got RetrospektÏw I-II, so that was the first version of it that I heard. I now have several versions of both MDK and "Theusz Hamtaahk" (there was an earlier version still that I heard of MDK actually, come to think of it than the studio).

I have the live BBC version of Thuesz Hamtaahk from 1974, which I also love. And I know they were preferming it live since at least 1973. The version I refer to was recorded in 1980 (I think both of these that I refer to were from 1980 concerts).

Here is info on the album releases that I was referring to specifically: https://www.discogs.com/Christian-Vander-Magma-Rétrospective-Vol-1-2/master/249888

I did a topic years ago about various versions (both live and studio) of "Mekanïk Destruktiw Kommandöh" and ""Theusz Hamtaahk", but this time I just wanted to focus on these particular live versions. Some versions I prefer to others. The BBC 1974 Londres (AKT XIII) is favourite of mine of "Theusz Hamtaakh", which features also "Kohntarkosz". And the 176 concert Opera se Reims is a good one for versions of MDK, Theusz Hamtaahk, Kohntarkosz, de Futura and Sons et chorus de batterie.

Magma has so much good live material and so many good versions of particular material.

Edited by Logan - April 14 2020 at 14:43
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 16:20
Quite possibly my favorite version of each composition.

Can't choose. BOTH !!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 17:07
I don´t think I can choose.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 20:59
TH
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 21:30
As soon as I get a chance I'll have to listen to that first selection good before I vote. But I can't imagine it could be better than the towering MDK.

I consider MDK a masterpiece at this point so there's honestly almost no way, but I will listen to the other one anyway.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 21:39
If you haven't yet heard the Rétrospective Vol. 1 and 2 version of MDK, you might be in for a treat, as well as its version of "Theusz Hamtaahk". I adore both of these versions.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 02:42
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I don´t think I can choose.

Well said Manuel 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 15:23
Ok finally.. gonna log off here and listen to both of these right now. I love Magma so definitely looking forward to this! We'll see what happens.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 15:31
I was lucky to get this 2LP set - the one with Vander’s face on it - from Skullyz Records whilst on hols in New Orleans several years ago. Best version so far of MDK, but I do love Theusz Hamtaahk a smidge more.

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 19 2020 at 15:32
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 16:47
Wow. That first one was really good. Then MDK was great too(of course!) Some of the vocals at the beginning part of MDK were sped up when I wanted it to just like the studio version lol. Although the part starting at 11:10 sounded pretty cool, I have to admit. The second half of MDK was very different and didn't really start to get somewhat back to normal until 32:56. All in all so great hearing that though. But I'm actually going to vote for the first one here. It pains me to do it but I have to be honest. 
 Post Reply Post Reply