Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
110 [82.71%]
23 [17.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 12:56
Originally posted by Artik Artik wrote:

I would say: sometimes, but mostly not so much :P

One could say the same thing about Genesis. Ever listen to their last 5 or 6 albums? LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 13:05
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

One could say the same thing about Genesis. Ever listen to their last 5 or 6 albums? LOL

Oh, it's different :) Genesis were totaly prog, and then totaly not :) Pink Floyd were prog occasionaly, but mostly not totaly :)
Swinton MCR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swinton MCR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 13:09
The problem is with genre being linked to the band entity amd not being linked to each specific track as would be the correct methodology to determine the true natural genre of each release...
Swinton MCR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swinton MCR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 13:11
And it would make skipping sh*t tracks a lot easier...🖖
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 13:18

Oh, it's different :) Genesis were totaly prog, and then totaly not :) Pink Floyd were prog occasionaly, but mostly not totaly :)

Genesis was "totally" prog? For Absent Friends? Time Table? I know What I Like? More Fool Me? Half of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway? Follow You, Follow Me? Totally prog? Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 17:34
"Half of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" 

LOL LOL

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 18:55
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

"Half of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" 

LOL LOL

Yep. Out of 23 songs on The Lamb, ten songs are 3 minutes or less, and another six are under 5 minutes. Very comparable to Floyd's The Wall in that regard. Short snippets tied together with filler music.

I am being facetious (for the most part), but it's nonsense when someone says Genesis is "all prog" and Floyd is only "partially prog", particularly when one of those bands gave up on prog entirely for 5 or 6 albums, and every other album they released had a couple standard rocks tunes and sappy ballads on them. It's a compartmentalization of an altered reality.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 22:33
^Depends on your definition of prog. Ravine doesn't sound like much. But having a track of just atmospherics on a double disc narrative concept album that provided time for PG to switch costumes for their live performances is pretty classic prog.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 01:05
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^Depends on your definition of prog. Ravine doesn't sound like much. But having a track of just atmospherics on a double disc narrative concept album that provided time for PG to switch costumes for their live performances is pretty classic prog.

Stage musicals has been doing that for centuries for costume or scene changes. There is nothing "prog" about it -- in fact it is far more Broadway than prog. They even have words for it in several languages, like "intermezzo", "verwandlungsmusik", "entr'acte" or "incidental music", or for more specific play-within-play moments, divertimento or divertissement, or for quicker transitions "vamping", as in "vamp till cue".

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 11:23
Coming up on a year for this thread..13 pages. 
I voted yes because they are listed under 'psychedelic space rock' here which of course is one of the genres listed here at PA , but In the old days at college when we listened to their music in 69-75 no one of course thought about that.
So what is the most progressive LP or track they ever did  that cements their place in this genre?
Question

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 11:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Coming up on a year for this thread..13 pages. 
I voted yes because they are listed under 'psychedelic space rock' here which of course is one of the genres listed here at PA , but In the old days at college when we listened to their music in 69-75 no one of course thought about that.
So what is the most progressive LP or track they ever did  that cements their place in this genre?
Question

Good question. For me Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother bridged the gap between psych and prog and maybe even More. Meddle was more space rock. Dark side is more art rock. WYWH and Animals are pure prog though and the wall is art rock. All imo of course. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 13:34
ummm... no they are not...  calling them a prog band sells them short..

they were far more than a mere 'prog band'.  In a way very similar to Tull... they get lumped in with prog bands but really were in genres in themselves.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 13:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ummm... no they are not...  calling them a prog band sells them short..

they were far more than a mere 'prog band'.  In a way very similar to Tull... they get lumped in with prog bands but really were in genres in themselves.
How long have I been saying that we need a sub genre called "genres in themselves"?.    Welcome back stranger. Hope all's well.

Edited by SteveG - March 06 2021 at 13:44
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 14:48
Heart back at ya Stevie... I've never been one much to talk if I have nothing to say so I've sort of crawled under a rock, 2021 was supposed to be a better year and as we know.. it hasn't been.  I also lost my mother so I have crawled under a virtual rock, brought the Malazan series of books to keep me busy and got fat on mass quantities of beer and Raff's cooking .. and tried to make sense of everything. Tongue

well Magma got its own sub-genre... with its bunches of offshoots and imitators..  Floyd and Tull probably deserve the same.  Perhaps the 3 more unique groups in all rock...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 14:58
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

In that famous interview, when asked if he considered Pink Floyd were progressive, Zappa answered 'sometimes'.  Floyd - absolutely no doubts - right from the get go up until 'Wish You Were Here'.

I watched a clip of Uncle Frank onstage with the Floyd and it was clear there was no rehearsal and that he was not that familiar with the music. They went into a tune, he stood for most of it doing nothing, then came up with a riff in the last half that he did not variate. The tune (I don't remember what it was) was not beyond Frank's ability, he just did not know it. This shows that what they were dong had a sophistication to it that was not easy to pick up on.

Edited by SteveG - March 06 2021 at 14:59
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 15:00
thanks Steve it is long sad tragic story with that.. but I'll save that for a post pandemic beer with you hopefully someday..
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 16:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

thanks Steve it is long sad tragic story with that.. but I'll save that for a post pandemic beer with you hopefully someday..
I'm glad you got the message.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 17:09
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

From the start Pink Floyd wanted to create an audio visual experience and progressed this to the logical conclusion (benefit of hindsight) of The Wall concert, film, album.

Perhaps one of the reasons Floyd get this little query is the blues influences, particularly DG and his guitar. Prog rock usually eschews the blues.

Why do I often read opinions like this one that seem to find the blues necessarily not progressive or less metal?  When Priest made Stained Class, it was filled with the blues! It just found some other great modes and moods to fit in as well so the music wasn't as purely derived from the blues as it had been on Sad Wings. There's also plenty of blues in ELP, who have lots of fun jazzy passages which rely heavily on the blues. The blues isn't something that hold music back from progression, it's just another element to use in your playing and writing. Pink Floyd are perhaps the greatest example of how versatile and progressive the blues can be, honestly.

I didn't say the blues was less progressive or not, merely saying what I'd read so often, that prog rock is usually fused with classical or jazz for fusion in the US. Fusing rock with art music rather than roots music is what causes discussions such as this one.

Me, I find much progression in the blues, including jazz blues. Joe Pass to Johnny Winter.

For blues versatility I might look toward Jeff Beck as his focus is more oriented toward progressing blues while the Floyd used it here and there as they were so busy with a lot of other things.

I probably leapt too harshly at that comment. However I would caution against splitting music into art and roots music and lumping in blues as roots music. The blues is as legitimate an art as anything else.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 22:36

Stage musicals has been doing that for centuries for costume or scene changes. There is nothing "prog" about it -- in fact it is far more Broadway than prog. They even have words for it in several languages, like "intermezzo", "verwandlungsmusik", "entr'acte" or "incidental music", or for more specific play-within-play moments, divertimento or divertissement, or for quicker transitions "vamping", as in "vamp till cue".

And Classical and Jazz were already a thing for centuries and decades respectively. But ELP still drew from that well. It's doing those things in the context of rock that made them prog for the time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 07:14

And Classical and Jazz were already a thing for centuries and decades respectively. But ELP still drew from that well. It's doing those things in the context of rock that made them prog for the time.

Alice Cooper must be prog then. He was doing the Broadway bits like that years before The Lamb came out. Clear back in 1971 with Killer and 1972 with School's Out to be exact. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>