Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yesesisīs & Mortte`s Album Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yesesisīs & Mortte`s Album Thread
    Posted: April 25 2020 at 21:42
We just have so much fun to discuss about albums we have just listened in that "The Other Side Of Life" thread, that we decided to start this. Of course we could have continue our discussions into "What albums You have listened thread", but...guess this is easier to us.

You can all join to us if you want, comment albums we have listened, also tell about the albums you have listened, we will comment them too if we have heard them.

Just for fun!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 22:04
My yesterday albums:

The Moody Blues: Strange Times
At first those electric drum bases were quite irritating, mostly album was also quite cheesy, but there where few songs that sounds really "old Moody Blues": only Thomas song "My Little Lovely" and only Edge song "Nothing Changes". But really I think I have listened all the Moody Blues albums I want to listen. Going next into "The Magnificent Moodies" (I have listened it only few times).

Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band: Trout Mask Replica
I have started to listen all Beefheart albums in chronological order and now it was Troutīs turn. Godīs itīs masterpiece and sounded really great again (it was some time for the last listening)! So tight playing (well they rehearsaled a year that album in those terrible conditions), absolutely mad genius a whole album! One of the my top10 all time albums! Fasten Bulbus (Bulbus also tapered)

Little Feat: s/t
Their first album really arenīt their greatest. This was just second time for me and it was last year I borrowed this from the library. Anyway this is quite interesting, not sound quite the same as the other Feat albums. Really a mix almost all the root styles of America (even really originally sounding covers of Howlinīs Forty Four and How many more years, on the other hand little pale comparing the originals), also there are few almost prog pieces with great string instruments (Brides Of Jesus & Takin My Time). Really love also Lowellīs soulful vocals!

Jukka Tolonen: Tolonen!
It was last year I first time listened this Finnish guitar legend first album  really much got praise and even sold quite well when it came). I had always though it is full of guitar solos, but instead the only true "guitar hero" piece is "Ramblin" and others are really beautiful, melodic pieces. Really a recommendation to all Finnish prog friends!

Damon & Naomi with Ghost: s/t
I have quite recently listened all the albums of Japan psych band Ghost, but noticed some days ago theyīve made also this collaboration album. This was really beautiful, quite acoustic, nice and mellow. Really soft ending to my evening!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 23:03
Yep this is something Mortte and I talked about doing, and so here it is. Go ahead and share your 'mini reviews' of albums you've listened to in the last couple days(or whatever).

Here are mine that I wrote at the time I listened to them(I sent the first 2 to Mortte to read before).

Just listened to the album The United States of America. I liked it. It was certainly different, very 60's sounding and with a really experimental aspect to it. The songs I liked the most were The Garden of Earthly Delights, I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife for You, Sugar, Coming Down, and The American Way of Love. Yeah good album, I absolutely enjoyed that.

Kansas by Kansas
Well that was pretty kick butt. I loved all the violins. High energy basically throughout.. no real weak tracks. Good stuff man. Not the best album I've ever heard before but still really good. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Song for America by Kansas
That was good. A lot of it sounded very prog(keyboard heavy). And there were even some rockin tunes like Lonely Street. The last song was really good, I liked it the best. All in all real good album. I definitely enjoyed it.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 23:05
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

My yesterday albums:

At first those electric drum bases were quite irritating, mostly album was also quite cheesy, but there where few songs that sounds really "old Moody Blues": only Thomas song "My Little Lovely" and only Edge song "Nothing Changes". But really I think I have listened all the Moody Blues albums I want to listen. Going next into "The Magnificent Moodies" (I have listened it only few times).

I have started to listen all Beefheart albums in chronological order and now it was Troutīs turn. Godīs itīs masterpiece and sounded really great again (it was some time for the last listening)! So tight playing (well they rehearsaled a year that album in those terrible conditions), absolutely mad genius a whole album! One of the my top10 all time albums! Fasten Bulbus (Bulbus also tapered)

Their first album really arenīt their greatest. This was just second time for me and it was last year I borrowed this from the library. Anyway this is quite interesting, not sound quite the same as the other Feat albums. Really a mix almost all the root styles of America (even really originally sounding covers of Howlinīs Forty Four and How many more years, on the other hand little pale comparing the originals), also there are few almost prog pieces with great string instruments (Brides Of Jesus & Takin My Time). Really love also Lowellīs soulful vocals!

It was last year I first time listened this Finnish guitar legend first album  really much got praise and even sold quite well when it came). I had always though it is full of guitar solos, but instead the only true "guitar hero" piece is "Ramblin" and others are really beautiful, melodic pieces. Really a recommendation to all Finnish prog friends!

I have quite recently listened all the albums of Japan psych band Ghost, but noticed some days ago theyīve made also this collaboration album. This was really beautiful, quite acoustic, nice and mellow. Really soft ending to my evening!

Yeah, that's an all time classic of course. A bit of an acquired taste for some but I love it.

Strange Times I thought was too slow, not enough energy in a lot of the songs. I mini reviewed it in the other thread.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 00:12
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Song for America by Kansas
That was good. A lot of it sounded very prog(keyboard heavy). And there were even some rockin tunes like Lonely Street. The last song was really good, I liked it the best. All in all real good album. I definitely enjoyed it.
I think this is my next fav album from Kansas after Leftoverture, mostly because the really great title song in it. Itīs possible itīs even my biggest fav Kansas song. Their next album "Masque" is quite the same level as "Song For a America". It also has one really great, big fav of mine, "Icarus - Borne On Wings Of Steel".
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 00:13

My yesterday albums:

Yeah, that's an all time classic of course. A bit of an acquired taste for some but I love it.

Strange Times I thought was too slow, not enough energy in a lot of the songs. I mini reviewed it in the other thread.
Really great to hear you love Beefheart too! I was thinking it might be so, because you love so much Zappa, but never asked it from you.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 01:45
I listened to The Optimist by Anathema yesterday in its Blue Ray format. Hard to get that excited when I can't think of any outstanding songs. It feels like the band have just hit a creative brick wall after the majesty of Weather Systems and Were Here Because Were Here . Its not terrible though and is extremely well produced and played but just lacking any real inspiration.  

Edited by richardh - April 26 2020 at 01:46
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 11:56
Today:
The Who: Whoīs Last
I remember in the eighties when there came the Who concert in the Finnish television. I think it was on their last tour in eighties where also this album was recorded. Although I got my Who sparkle from that concert, I had got that picture they werenīt at their best in that. So I havenīt listened this album before today. I was really surprised how good this sounded, sound is really rough, if they had done some redoings in studio that hadnīt done anything bad into that great live sound! Also Oxīs great bass sound is easily to be heard! Of course this is not like "Live at Leeds", but anyway in the level of all the other Who-lives I have heard! Really canīt also understand why Roger didnīt like Kenneys drumming, of course he isnīt Moon, but doing really great job, as good as the other Who drummers (well maybe Zak is little better).

Charley Patton: Founder Of the Delta Blues
To me this man is also founder of popular music! Just like Robert Johnson he had almost all the elements in his primitive music I love! Really personal and soulful vocals, really great, rhythmic guitar playing with so interesting, melodic chords, Charley even do interesting rhythms slapping the cover of his guitar! This was time before boring 12-bar rule in blues, you can easily hear the African influences there, also influences from the native Americans (it had said Charley was partly American native just like Hendrix). Robert Johnson has been the biggest blues man to me, but now itīs very hard to decide between Patton, Johnson & Skip James.

Ghost: s/t
First have to say this isnīt that Swedish metal band (not my beef at all). This is Japanese psych bands first album from the nineties. I made a review today in PA, so you can read more there if you want to know what I like this. Just saying Ghost is not my biggest nineties favorites, but very interesting band and differs a great way from the common nineties "sound" that I havenīt ever been so much into.

Van Der Graaf Generator: Pawn Hearts
This is masterpiece! Itīs clear to many here, but hasnīt been to me. It took many years to understand greatness of this album. Today I pay attention how greatly this is recorded, sounds are really colourful, when itīs mostly made from percussions, keyboards and horns & woods. I know Fripp is in guitar, but really I didnīt hear the guitar at all there today. VdGG hasnīt been the greatest progbands to me, but it has risen every day higher...really hope their gig will be in November!

The Beatles: Yellow Submarine (the original version with Martinīs B-side)
This is the only official studio album from Beatles I havenīt got as vinyl. Also itīs long time I have seen that film, and today was the first time I listened this as a whole. Today I paid attention "Only Northern Song" sounded really much the same as Beatles in Revolver/Sgt and watched then from the wiki it really was recorded in Sgt. sessions, just like same sounding "Itīs All Too Much". "Hey Bulldog" came from the radio about year ago and I didnīt recognized what song it is, of course when they say itīs "Hey Bulldog" I remembered itīs from Submarine. Anyway I think Harrison songs are the greatest in this album, Paul has said himself about his song itīs throw-away. I enjoyed the B-side, but canīt say itīs great. The most funny was "Yellow Submarine In Pepperland".

Pere Ubu: The Long Goodbye
This is genius, really disturbed pop-album! One my last year highlights! I believe if Beefheart had lived and made album in 2019, it would have sounded like this (of course he would have gone into cheap sounding synths also). I havenīt ever used LSD, but I believe this album is like bad LSD-trip, last song "Lovely Day" is like next morning just after that trip when there are still some twisting flashes in mind although everything starts to look clearer. I read somewhere this will be their last album, really hope itīs not!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 12:42
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I listened to The Optimist by Anathema yesterday in its Blue Ray format. Hard to get that excited when I can't think of any outstanding songs. It feels like the band have just hit a creative brick wall after the majesty of Weather Systems and Were Here Because Were Here . Its not terrible though and is extremely well produced and played but just lacking any real inspiration.  

Thanks for posting your mini review here Richard, so people like me know to avoid this album in the future lol. 

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 12:48

Today:
The Who: Whoīs Last
I remember in the eighties when there came the Who concert in the Finnish television. I think it was on their last tour in eighties where also this album was recorded. Although I got my Who sparkle from that concert, I had got that picture they werenīt at their best in that. So I havenīt listened this album before today. I was really surprised how good this sounded, sound is really rough, if they had done some redoings in studio that hadnīt done anything bad into that great live sound! Also Oxīs great bass sound is easily to be heard! Of course this is not like "Live at Leeds", but anyway in the level of all the other Who-lives I have heard! Really canīt also understand why Roger didnīt like Kenneys drumming, of course he isnīt Moon, but doing really great job, as good as the other Who drummers (well maybe Zak is little better).

Charley Patton: Founder Of the Delta Blues
To me this man is also founder of popular music! Just like Robert Johnson he had almost all the elements in his primitive music I love! Really personal and soulful vocals, really great, rhythmic guitar playing with so interesting, melodic chords, Charley even do interesting rhythms slapping the cover of his guitar! This was time before boring 12-bar rule in blues, you can easily hear the African influences there, also influences from the native Americans (it had said Charley was partly American native just like Hendrix). Robert Johnson has been the biggest blues man to me, but now itīs very hard to decide between Patton, Johnson & Skip James.

Ghost: s/t
First have to say this isnīt that Swedish metal band (not my beef at all). This is Japanese psych bands first album from the nineties. I made a review today in PA, so you can read more there if you want to know what I like this. Just saying Ghost is not my biggest nineties favorites, but very interesting band and differs a great way from the common nineties "sound" that I havenīt ever been so much into.

Van Der Graaf Generator: Pawn Hearts
This is masterpiece! Itīs clear to many here, but hasnīt been to me. It took many years to understand greatness of this album. Today I pay attention how greatly this is recorded, sounds are really colourful, when itīs mostly made from percussions, keyboards and horns & woods. I know Fripp is in guitar, but really I didnīt hear the guitar at all there today. VdGG hasnīt been the greatest progbands to me, but it has risen every day higher...really hope their gig will be in November!

The Beatles: Yellow Submarine (the original version with Martinīs B-side)
This is the only official studio album from Beatles I havenīt got as vinyl. Also itīs long time I have seen that film, and today was the first time I listened this as a whole. Today I paid attention "Only Northern Song" sounded really much the same as Beatles in Revolver/Sgt and watched then from the wiki it really was recorded in Sgt. sessions, just like same sounding "Itīs All Too Much". "Hey Bulldog" came from the radio about year ago and I didnīt recognized what song it is, of course when they say itīs "Hey Bulldog" I remembered itīs from Submarine. Anyway I think Harrison songs are the greatest in this album, Paul has said himself about his song itīs throw-away. I enjoyed the B-side, but canīt say itīs great. The most funny was "Yellow Submarine In Pepperland".

Pere Ubu: The Long Goodbye
This is genius, really disturbed pop-album! One my last year highlights! I believe if Beefheart had lived and made album in 2019, it would have sounded like this (of course he would have gone into cheap sounding synths also). I havenīt ever used LSD, but I believe this album is like bad LSD-trip, last song "Lovely Day" is like next morning just after that trip when there are still some twisting flashes in mind although everything starts to look clearer. I read somewhere this will be their last album, really hope itīs not!

I absolutely agree about that album. It's one of the few albums where it seems every time I listen to it I respect it even more.

I have all of the Beatles studio albums, but not Yellow Submarine. I've obviously heard Hey Bulldog, and also
Only a Northern Song and like them both a lot. Anyway, thanks for this review.

Later today or tonight I plan to listen to Kansas' 3rd album and post a mini review of it on here.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 21:34
Ok, Masque by Kansas

I thought that was very good. Only weak track I thought was Two Cents Worth. The Pinnacle, Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel, and Mysteries and Mayhem were all fantastic. Loved the violins in It's You. All in all great album. Maybe my favorite yet from them, either it or that second one.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 21:56

Thanks for posting your mini review here Richard, so people like me know to avoid this album in the future lol. 

LOL. But seriously, metal hasnīt been a long time my beef at all (I read something about Anathema and know metal is too easy to say about them, but I am just lazy at the moment to put all the genres wiki said them to do, any of them didnīt interest me).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 21:57

Ok, Masque by Kansas

I thought that was very good. Only weak track I thought was Two Cents Worth. The Pinnacle, Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel, and Mysteries and Mayhem were all fantastic. Loved the violins in It's You. All in all great album. Maybe my favorite yet from them, either it or that second one.

Mysteries & Mayhem is also my big faves from them! Leftoverture next? I am sure you will love that album!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 22:00

I absolutely agree about that album. It's one of the few albums where it seems every time I listen to it I respect it even more.
Same to me, yesterday it just sounded huge!! I listened quite recently all VdGG-albums and have to say there arenīt any weak ones. VdGG is those rare prog bands, who never went any commercial thing.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 02:52
Listening now Anathemas Fine Day to Exit-album a little bit. It`s not much of metal, more of some kind of alternative music in some Radiohead way. Not interesting anyway.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 02:55

Listening now Anathemas Fine Day to Exit-album a little bit. It`s not much of metal, more of some kind of alternative music in some Radiohead way. Not interesting anyway.

none of the albums after Judgement are metal. And even Judgement is not that heavy. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 11:40
Two very different albums today:

the Rolling Stones: Goats Head Soup
When talking about best Stones album, itīs many Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main St. Itīs also Beggars to me, but Goats goes really close too! Itīs just the best period of Stones was when Mick Taylor was in it (+Beggars). Also, this album is highly recommended to those, who are bored for radios overplay of some certain Stones songs - Hereīs only "Angie" to skip to them (to me also it sounds still great). Here are dirty, great Stones rockers: "Dancing With Mr. D", "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker), "Silver Train" and Berryrocker "Star Star", acid-sixties-style pieces "100 Years Ago" & "Can You Hear the Music" and great ballads "Winter" and my fav Keith-sung piece "Coming Down". All the Stones fans original vinyl version with "Goat" poster is must!

Yes: Union
There was a thread of this album - I think I said there this is weakest Yes-album IMO. The reason is production, I donīt think there isnīt colder sounds made in 1991! But today I noticed I have started to get used to them, album sounded really great! Only songs I donīt care much are "Saving My Heart" and "Dangerous" (sounds to me they tried to do "Owner Of a Lonely Heart" of 1991). I can say only that Yes hasnīt made a bad album! I havenīt got any Yes-studio-vinyls after Big Generator (except Open Your Eyes), but the great cover of Dean is really not the only reason to get this!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 16:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

none of the albums after Judgement are metal. And even Judgement is not that heavy. 

True

Weather Systems leans a little bit towards Post Rock . That's the album I get really excited about by them and is a modern masterpiece imo. I would also check out their DVD 'Universal' of a gig that came after Weather Systems in Bulgaria and with an orchestra. I play that more than any other DVD (by any artist) in my collection.  
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 19:26

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

True

Weather Systems leans a little bit towards Post Rock . That's the album I get really excited about by them and is a modern masterpiece imo. I would also check out their DVD 'Universal' of a gig that came after Weather Systems in Bulgaria and with an orchestra. I play that more than any other DVD (by any artist) in my collection.  

Ok now, THAT makes me want to check this deal out sometime.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 19:34

Two very different albums today:

the Rolling Stones: Goats Head Soup
When talking about best Stones album, itīs many Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main St. Itīs also Beggars to me, but Goats goes really close too! Itīs just the best period of Stones was when Mick Taylor was in it (+Beggars). Also, this album is highly recommended to those, who are bored for radios overplay of some certain Stones songs - Hereīs only "Angie" to skip to them (to me also it sounds still great). Here are dirty, great Stones rockers: "Dancing With Mr. D", "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker), "Silver Train" and Berryrocker "Star Star", acid-sixties-style pieces "100 Years Ago" & "Can You Hear the Music" and great ballads "Winter" and my fav Keith-sung piece "Coming Down". All the Stones fans original vinyl version with "Goat" poster is must!

Yes: Union
There was a thread of this album - I think I said there this is weakest Yes-album IMO. The reason is production, I donīt think there isnīt colder sounds made in 1991! But today I noticed I have started to get used to them, album sounded really great! Only songs I donīt care much are "Saving My Heart" and "Dangerous" (sounds to me they tried to do "Owner Of a Lonely Heart" of 1991). I can say only that Yes hasnīt made a bad album! I havenīt got any Yes-studio-vinyls after Big Generator (except Open Your Eyes), but the great cover of Dean is really not the only reason to get this!

With Yes I really don't listen to anything after Big Generator either. But it sounds like you think this album is decent... hmmm maybe I'll listen to it again sometime. I did listen to it once(or twice) quite a while ago and thought it was ok, but not impressed enough to ever listen again lol. Maybe I will sometime though.

The Rolling Stones I... I'm a Beatles guy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>