Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yesesisīs & Mortte`s Album Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 19:17
For tonight.. Arrival! 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 19:59
Didn't like that QUITE as much as the one last night, but still definitely enjoyed it. Good album. 

When I Kissed the Teacher - Catchy but not great. 
Dancing Queen - Maybe the catchiest song ever recorded. 
My Love, My Life - Really good flowing slow song. 
Dum Dum Diddle - Another catchy energetic song, what ABBA does best. 
Knowing Me, Knowing You - Obviously huge radio hit.. One of their best. 
Money, Money, Money - Another of their well known songs. Very theatrical feel to this one. 
That's Me - I liked that one. 
Why Did It Have to Be Me? - Another fun song. This band really is great. 
Tiger - Concert staple, obviously good. 
Arrival - What is this.. Scottish bagpipes. Not my favorite but a nice way to close the album I suppose. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 22:41
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Fun album! 

Mamma Mia - One of their most famous songs! 
Hey, Hey Helen - Rock sounding. This is actually really good.
Tropical Loveland - Borderline filler, not bad though. 
SOS - Song everyone knows. One of their very best! 
Man in the Middle - Funky sound to this one. 
Bang-A-Boomerang - This one is really good! 
I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do - One of their absolute classics! 
Rock Me - Yeah! Really fun song.
Intermezzo No. 1 - Wow, very good instrumental.
I've Been Waiting for You - Very good flowing slow song.
So Long - Another fun song. Wow, this is really good. 
SOS is my fav ABBA piece. I have planned many years to listen all official Abba albums, but so far have listened only "Waterloo".

I think you should.. Nordic pride man. 
I am not Abba-hater, I like them, but I think mainstream pop/rock music would have sounded like Abba, Michael Jackson, George Michael etc. without Beatles. And I donīt think I would then ever been so much into rock/pop music as I am now. I hope you understand what I mean. I understand why Abba is so respected, but personally I think theyīre little bit overrated specially these days. There just were so many greater acts in the seventies that are these days almost forgotten. Anyway I just canīt listen at the moment Abba because that radio channel, now I got two weeks in my work without radio and then four holiday weeks really not going to listen any radio, itīs possible I will try some of their albums then.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 22:45

3 Friday`s albums:
Faust: So Far
This is their second album and I have to use that one word about this again! When their first album represented their unique style, in this album they expanded their style! First piece "Itīs a Rainy Day, Sunshine Girl" reminds little Velvet Underground, next "On the Way To Abamäe" is really beautiful acoustic piece and next "No Harm" is very close to other prog of that time, for example King Crimson. But still mostly this really is unique Faust album with very personal, experimental music!

Trumans Water: Of Thick Tum
In this first album of this band you can hear, how they were really adolescent (they have started a year before). Well, I think itīs part of fascination of this album. Also, John Peel liked this album so much that he played it whole through in his show and invented them into make famous Peel Sessions. Anyway here are great pieces like "Disindependence" & "Girlier Too".

Family: Bandstand
Really love also this Family album, but comparing their less or more masterpiece 5 earlier albums, I think this is little bit tame. This sounds like they tried to make more commercial album (well it didnīt succeeded as well as previous, much greater album "Fearless"). What I wonder a little why they faded one of the greatest pieces, "Dark Eyes", so soon? If it was too long for the album, I would have left "Coronation" out instead of it! Because that fading I think the greatest piece is "Top Of the Hill".

I remember all of their albums being legitimately good except the last one. Very pleasing musically as I recall. 
Youīre right, "Bandstand" is much better than "Itīs Only a Movie". But also that is better than any Abba-album Wink
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 06:34

Youīre right, "Bandstand" is much better than "Itīs Only a Movie". But also that is better than any Abba-album Wink

Stop it lol. Where's that Nordic pride? I think we need to switch and I go live in Finland, and you and your family come live here in the US. I'll go swimming in the ice water every morning and listen to nothing but ABBA. And you can listen to lots of Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley, go to a bluegrass concert, and drive a pickup truck. Live the American dream lol.

Edit: I'll have to make sure to never end up under the ice though. I've heard it's almost impossible to find the opening again and you end up drowning.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 07:39

[QUOTE=Mortte]

Edit: I'll have to make sure to never end up under the ice though. I've heard it's almost impossible to find the opening again and you end up drowning.
Are you serious at all?

But seriously, I live in the town where nearest nature water is about 7 KM from my home. Anyway I have always swam first time in April every year, now havenīt done it (am I getting old).

You make America sound even worse than I have ever thought.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:49
Quite proggy Saturday:
Traffic: On the Road
When their first live album hasnīt got anything from their previous studio album, this hasnīt got anything from their great first 3 albums. Naturally this has the most from their latest studio album "Shoot Out At the Fantasy Factor" that I think is least favorite of their 60-70 albums, but versions here are better than in studio. Specially " (Sometimes I Feel So) Un-Inspired" hit me today! Some reviewer from albums release time had said the pieces too long and I donīt disagree with him. On the other there is lots of very good feeling jamming in this album! And really the longest piece, version from "Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys" sounds absolutely great!

Faust: You Know Faust
This is last album where core members, Zappi, Irmler & Jean-Herve Peron were together. As in their previous reunion album "Rien" this has also some really dystopia feeling pieces, but on the other hand this album has also really positive feeling pieces, for example one beautiful acoustic piece. And I believe everyone becomes in a good mood when hearing last, really cheerful "Teutonentango".

Gong: You
This is so cosmic, spiritual album, makes good to your soul! Still itīs really hard to me say which of the albums of Radio Gnome Trilogy is the best, so great this sounded today! But I believe I will next listen their nineties albums that I havenīt listened as much as these great seventies albums.

Ghost: In Stormy Nights
Made a review today about this in PA. Got from this album information about one new, interesting album from 1969: Cromagnon naming bands only album, going to listen it tomorrow!

Magma: K.A
Another masterpiece from this great group! I prefer the first trilogy, but this second one comes also close to it. And this first part is maybe album from Magma, that has most light (if not counting Merci). Second part (Köhntarkösz) is so much darker & heavier and I think last part (Emehntehtt-re) has both, light and darkness. I havenīt heard Magma at all when this album was released, but I can imagine what kind of excitement there has been with Magma-fans, when they started to listen it and what relief they have felt when hearing this came back to the great seventies times!

Airaksinen: Good Jazz Glass Jazz
Really loved this album! Itīs also quite chaotic, but great! I believe Pekka has made most pieces sampling old jazz recordings and adding some electro to them. Sounds stupid, but he really made it works! Really this is more "Jazz From Hell" than that Zappa- album! In two pieces "Donīt Educate Your Children Too Smart" & "Once I Was In Their House" it sounds, like some insane jazzband is really playing in some bar!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 14:08

Quite proggy Saturday:
When their first live album hasnīt got anything from their previous studio album, this hasnīt got anything from their great first 3 albums. Naturally this has the most from their latest studio album "Shoot Out At the Fantasy Factor" that I think is least favorite of their 60-70 albums, but versions here are better than in studio. Specially " (Sometimes I Feel So) Un-Inspired" hit me today! Some reviewer from albums release time had said the pieces too long and I donīt disagree with him. On the other there is lots of very good feeling jamming in this album! And really the longest piece, version from "Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys" sounds absolutely great!

This is last album where core members, Zappi, Irmler & Jean-Herve Peron were together. As in their previous reunion album "Rien" this has also some really dystopia feeling pieces, but on the other hand this album has also really positive feeling pieces, for example one beautiful acoustic piece. And I believe everyone becomes in a good mood when hearing last, really cheerful "Teutonentango".

This is so cosmic, spiritual album, makes good to your soul! Still itīs really hard to me say which of the albums of Radio Gnome Trilogy is the best, so great this sounded today! But I believe I will next listen their nineties albums that I havenīt listened as much as these great seventies albums.

Made a review today about this in PA. Got from this album information about one new, interesting album from 1969: Cromagnon naming bands only album, going to listen it tomorrow!

Another masterpiece from this great group! I prefer the first trilogy, but this second one comes also close to it. And this first part is maybe album from Magma, that has most light (if not counting Merci). Second part (Köhntarkösz) is so much darker & heavier and I think last part (Emehntehtt-re) has both, light and darkness. I havenīt heard Magma at all when this album was released, but I can imagine what kind of excitement there has been with Magma-fans, when they started to listen it and what relief they have felt when hearing this came back to the great seventies times!

Really loved this album! Itīs also quite chaotic, but great! I believe Pekka has made most pieces sampling old jazz recordings and adding some electro to them. Sounds stupid, but he really made it works! Really this is more "Jazz From Hell" than that Zappa- album! In two pieces "Donīt Educate Your Children Too Smart" & "Once I Was In Their House" it sounds, like some insane jazzband is really playing in some bar!

Gong and Magma, right on. I agree Magma's a great group. And I know I've listened to that album before but I don't remember it, will have to listen again. I mostly listen to their first two studio albums, and of course.. the towering MDK. 

It's been a while since I've listened to Gong. I should again soon, I really enjoy them! 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 19:06
For tonight ABBA: The Album.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 19:52
All in all that was certainly good, but weakest of the ones I've listened to so far imo. 

Eagle - Very good. 
Take a Chance on Me - My favorite ABBA song. 
One Man, One Woman - Slower but good. 
The Name of the Game - One of their big hits. Obviously good. 
Move On - Good but a little ABBA by the numbers. 
Hole in Your Soul - More energetic song, and different. 
Thank You for the Music - One of their great songs. 
I Wonder - Another good one. 
I'm a Marionette - Not terrible but weakest song on the album I thought. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 21:57

Quite proggy Saturday:

Gong and Magma, right on. I agree Magma's a great group. And I know I've listened to that album before but I don't remember it, will have to listen again. I mostly listen to their first two studio albums, and of course.. the towering MDK. 

It's been a while since I've listened to Gong. I should again soon, I really enjoy them! 
Listen K.A as soon as possible, because I believe you love it as much as I! It has much more in common with M.D.K than those two first albums, although M.D.K. is much darker than K.A
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:02

Are you going to listen also their first album "Ring Ring"? I just noticed they have that also, originally released under name "Björn Benny & Agnetha Frida"and only in Scandinavia & Germany, first version came in US 1995!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:42
6 Sundayīs albums:
Jimmie Rodgers: Never No Mo`Blues
Yesterday started six piece country music document in Finlandīs television and in first one was the Carter Family & Jimmie Rodgers. My brother got Rodgersīs collection in eighties, I donīt think I have listened him after eighties. This is one of the first compilations from 1956, pieces are recorded 1922-33. This album really proves also country music base is in the blues. Also liked this compilation, because here are also his pieces made with orchestra. Liked all the songs here, but faves were "Blue Yodel No. 4 (California Blues)", "You And My Old Guitar", "Blue Yodel No.6" & "Pistol Packin Papa".

The Who: Live At Hull 1970
This was recorded day after the famous Live at Leeds! Thatīs the main reason that songlist is absolutely same as in that Leeds gig. Maybe reason of this releasing after many years is that they play here if possible even better than Leeds gig, the reason why they released instead Leeds pieces in 1970 might be that in this recording there were technical problems with Ox bass recording. But in this new release those problems were solved taking parts of the Ox bass from that Leeds gig. All the way this is really great sounding Who live!

Cromagnon: s/t
I really love albums first piece "Caledonia", it really has been ahead of itīs time with really industrial background, bagpipes, and whispering vocals! But I am quite disappointed to the rest of the album. Really itīs very primitive, some cavemen pieces, one piece with sick laughing, one piece with some primitive synth playing siren etc. Nothing really interesting. Only that is near the greatness of "Caledonia" is "Toth, Scribe I" It has noise that sounds like thunder and also some instrument (maybe bagpipes) playing melody from low. Anyway really experimental album.

Faust: Faust Wakes Nosferatu (vinyl)
Listening this again. Although Faust hasnīt made any ordinary album, this is maybe the most experimental of them, but what a difference is this and previous experimental album for that how interesting you can make it! The best piece at the moment is ending "Todesshiff", it has really strange sound from Irmlerīs own made keyboards that goes in the front and back during the whole piece.

Meat Puppets: Sewn Together
Another really good & spiritual country punk/ alternative rock album from this very underrated band! After wild years Meat Puppets really found their own style and continue making great records! There are now only two albums that I havenīt heard and really there havenīt been any bad ones! Faves from this album are "Sapphire", "Clone" & "Smoke".

Nina Simone: High Priestess Of Soul
1967 was a great year in popular music! In that year Simone released this and two other albums that I havenīt yet heard. I think this is a little bit more cheerful and lighter comparing her great 1966 "Wild Is the Wind" album. But naturally Nina has really soulful vocals and has made really own sounding versions from the very known pieces like Berryīs "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" & "Work Song. Greatest Simone composition is African-style "Come Ye".
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:20

6 Sundayīs albums:
Jimmie Rodgers: Never No Mo`Blues
Yesterday started six piece country music document in Finlandīs television and in first one was the Carter Family & Jimmie Rodgers. My brother got Rodgersīs collection in eighties, I donīt think I have listened him after eighties. This is one of the first compilations from 1956, pieces are recorded 1922-33. This album really proves also country music base is in the blues. Also liked this compilation, because here are also his pieces made with orchestra. Liked all the songs here, but faves were "Blue Yodel No. 4 (California Blues)", "You And My Old Guitar", "Blue Yodel No.6" & "Pistol Packin Papa".

The Who: Live At Hull 1970
This was recorded day after the famous Live at Leeds! Thatīs the main reason that songlist is absolutely same as in that Leeds gig. Maybe reason of this releasing after many years is that they play here if possible even better than Leeds gig, the reason why they released instead Leeds pieces in 1970 might be that in this recording there were technical problems with Ox bass recording. But in this new release those problems were solved taking parts of the Ox bass from that Leeds gig. All the way this is really great sounding Who live!

Cromagnon: s/t
I really love albums first piece "Caledonia", it really has been ahead of itīs time with really industrial background, bagpipes, and whispering vocals! But I am quite disappointed to the rest of the album. Really itīs very primitive, some cavemen pieces, one piece with sick laughing, one piece with some primitive synth playing siren etc. Nothing really interesting. Only that is near the greatness of "Caledonia" is "Toth, Scribe I" It has noise that sounds like thunder and also some instrument (maybe bagpipes) playing melody from low. Anyway really experimental album.

Faust: Faust Wakes Nosferatu (vinyl)
Listening this again. Although Faust hasnīt made any ordinary album, this is maybe the most experimental of them, but what a difference is this and previous experimental album for that how interesting you can make it! The best piece at the moment is ending "Todesshiff", it has really strange sound from Irmlerīs own made keyboards that goes in the front and back during the whole piece.

Meat Puppets: Sewn Together
Another really good & spiritual country punk/ alternative rock album from this very underrated band! After wild years Meat Puppets really found their own style and continue making great records! There are now only two albums that I havenīt heard and really there havenīt been any bad ones! Faves from this album are "Sapphire", "Clone" & "Smoke".

Nina Simone: High Priestess Of Soul
1967 was a great year in popular music! In that year Simone released this and two other albums that I havenīt yet heard. I think this is a little bit more cheerful and lighter comparing her great 1966 "Wild Is the Wind" album. But naturally Nina has really soulful vocals and has made really own sounding versions from the very known pieces like Berryīs "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" & "Work Song. Greatest Simone composition is African-style "Come Ye".

This one looks like it might be interesting, and also maybe the Meat Puppets. Just too many albums to get to lol. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:22

Are you going to listen also their first album "Ring Ring"? I just noticed they have that also, originally released under name "Björn Benny & Agnetha Frida"and only in Scandinavia & Germany, first version came in US 1995!

Yeah I guess that counts as an ABBA album.. Listen to right now! 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 14:06
That really hit me!! I just thoroughly enjoyed that! It had a very innocent, happy sound to it that the later album are somewhat lacking imo. I thought that was just great!! 

Ring Ring (Bara Du Slog En Signal) - Understood almost none but jamming tune obviously. 
Another Town, Another Train - Very nice innocent sounding song. 
Disillusion - I like this sound. 
People Need Love - Nice happy upbeat song. 
I Saw It in the Mirror - filler
Nina, Pretty Ballerina - Cool song. 
Love Isn't Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough) - Very good catchy song! 
Me and Bobby and Bobby's Brother - Good innocent happy song. 
He Is Your Brother - Very good happy upbeat song! 
Ring Ring (English version) - Yeah, jammin out to that! 
I Am Just a Girl - Very innocent sounding, really good. 
Rock'n Roll Band - Some rockin guitar in this.. what a fun song. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 19:12
Alright let's keep it rolling with ABBA, so for tonight it's Voulez-Vous!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 20:05
Strong album. Some of the lyrics were a little depressing as much of the innocence from the album this afternoon seemed to be gone, but still a very good album I'd say. 

As Good as New - Fun song, some classical.. a lot of disco.. 
Voulez-Vous - One of their big hits, really cool song. 
I Have a Dream - Slower but very good obviously, another big hit. 
Angeleyes - Good but not great. 
The King Has Lost His Crown - Good sound on this one. 
Does Your Mother Know - Definitely not my favorite but one of their hits. 
If It Wasn't for the Nights - Wow, this is good. Even for them this song is really good. 
Chiquitita - Good happy upbeat song. One of their huge hits. Great piano at the end of that! 
Lovers(Live a Little Longer) - This one sounds great. 
Kisses of Fire - Pretty good. 

And I noticed right away that their sound had changed a lot from that first Ring Ring album from earlier today. Much more disco sounding on this one, the other one sounded very early 70's and innocent. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 02:01

That really hit me!! I just thoroughly enjoyed that! It had a very innocent, happy sound to it that the later album are somewhat lacking imo. I thought that was just great!! 

Ring Ring (Bara Du Slog En Signal) - Understood almost none but jamming tune obviously. 
Another Town, Another Train - Very nice innocent sounding song. 
Disillusion - I like this sound. 
People Need Love - Nice happy upbeat song. 
I Saw It in the Mirror - filler
Nina, Pretty Ballerina - Cool song. 
Love Isn't Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough) - Very good catchy song! 
Me and Bobby and Bobby's Brother - Good innocent happy song. 
He Is Your Brother - Very good happy upbeat song! 
Ring Ring (English version) - Yeah, jammin out to that! 
I Am Just a Girl - Very innocent sounding, really good. 
Rock'n Roll Band - Some rockin guitar in this.. what a fun song. 
I believe this was originally their sideproject, but become main when become so popular!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 11:16
1 Mondayīs album:
Os Mutantes: s/t
This Brazilian Beatlesīs first album mix really great way psychedelic pop, Zappaish foolishness & humor & Brazilian folk music, so I like to use again that one word about it. Not a weak track in this, but my faves are cheerful opener "Panis Et Circenses", sad & beautiful "O Relogio" & "Le Premier Bonheur Du Jour" (both has really great Rita Lee vocals) & swinging ending piece "Ave Gencis Khan". Also have to mention "Bat Macumba" made itīs way into "Nuggets II"-box, I donīt think there are many bands from South America. Well, that piece is the most groovy one from this album. This album is not for too serious listeners!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>