Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FINAL RACE: Which genre of prog do we prefer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Choose your favourite genre
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [37.88%]
6 [9.09%]
3 [4.55%]
5 [7.58%]
6 [9.09%]
4 [6.06%]
4 [6.06%]
10 [15.15%]
3 [4.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 13:42
A consideration. In the first POLL, the genre RIO/Avant-prog had obtained only 15 votes, and up to 5 genres could be voted. Now he has already obtained 6 votes, this makes me think that fans of RIO/Avant-prog genre are very avid fans, who consider RIO/AvantProg a genre in its own right compared to the rest of the prog.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 14:00
RIO
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 14:44
RIO / Avant
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 14:47
I still give the edge to symphonic, but I am growing a much stronger appreciation of RIO/Avant in recent years. Still have a lot of interest in many of the other subgenres.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 15:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Symphonic prog is winning despite few claim to have voted for it ... 

It's like between Biden and Sanders: nobody said to vote for Biden but in the end Biden won!

Come on SP voters, have the courage for your actions! We will beat you!

Haha. It's rather like so how so many shoppers over here wont admit to shopping at WalMart, yet the place is always bustling,not that I would know.I would never shop there. ;) In my experience, Symph fans make up the vast silent majority, but then that's not really surprising as they also make up the majority of prog fans. I have found fans of the more niche genres to be more vocal in polls percentage-wise, which is also not surprising. The minority is often louder in a sense as individuals and groups so they can be heard. The mainstream doesn't have the same struggle in being noticed.

As for me, I really don't have a favourite category. Had Krautrock or Electronic made it through, I might have given either of those a vote. And poor Zeuhl, and even poorer Indo-Prog/Raga Rock. Canterbury Scene/Sound is the most consistently good to my ears of those listed, but I love so much RIO/Avant, and it does have Art Zoyd. Then again, I love JRF such as Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock. I often say that I'm a folky at heart, and my heart is telling me Prog Folk. Prog Folk it is.

Oh yes, you are right.

Making another comparison: In Italy the Christian Democracy (CD) party ruled for 50 years consecutive.

And nobody said he had voted for the CD party. 

But there was a way to understand who voted for it. If you asked: What did you vote for? And the answer was: I can't tell you, the vote is secret, here's to you the CD voter!LOL

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 17:14
Still Symphonic . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 14:43
RIO / Avant is what I tend to seek out the most these days so that's what I voted for. Canterbury and jazz fusion are up there for me as well.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 14:54
Probably symphonic, but love eclectic too, and canterbury scene, and jazz fusion, and prog folk... god I love it all!

Apart from that RIO/Avant stuff. What's that all about?
Songs cast a light on you
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 01:01
Ask me a year ago I would have said Symphonic. Now I find myself listening more and more to Crossover. 
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 03:31
I'll give eclectic a vote, because of VDGG love. But symphonic could've taken it too.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 05:40
Voted crossover because, if I get it right, it covers a lot of what is normally considered art rock. Krautrock and prog-related would have been other options, but they are not in the poll.

I see symphonic prog is the big winner here. While I do like some music within that genre, it is not really my home ground.

Edited by The Anders - April 28 2020 at 05:41
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 05:45
Does this pan look like it's just for decoration???
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 13:31
Symphonic Prog 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 17:04
Anyone else?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 16:43
And the winner is... symphonic prog!

Ok, it was predictable.

But the new is the second place: RIO / Avant prog is the real competitor of symphonic prog.

it seems to me that the fans of RIO /Avant prog are those who more than others constitute a hard core, which arises as an alternative to other forms of prog.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 10 2020 at 16:45
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 17:43
A quite... conservative choice for an area of music that is labelled progressive Wink
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 01:31
I voted for Symphonic Prog too, although I never would have guessed that RIO/Avant-Prog would be in second place. I would have voted for Psychedelic/Space Rock (no surprise there!) as my second choice, even though it's not included in the list. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 11 2020 at 01:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12