Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hemispheres vs Moving Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which Rush album do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [48.21%]
19 [33.93%]
6 [10.71%]
4 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 12:09
Even Steven.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 12:41
Hemispheres 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 13:56
Moving Pictures, easily.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 14:23
I rate both five stars, but Hemispheres has long been my favorite Rush album The storyline of the title epic fits well within my love for both science fiction and Greek mythology. The concept of balance between two polarities is one of Peart's most astute observations and fits in well with my studies in Asian philosophies. The music rocks, too. So, that piece resonates well with me. The two shorter songs are also prime Rush, while La Villa Strangiato is the best instrumental they have ever done, if not the best piece of music they have ever done. MP has a bunch of really good songs. Ying Yang
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 14:24
Moving pictures is anologous to Wind & Wuthering...Genesis and Rush both went downhill faster than a greased rhino on a glacier after both releases....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 15:35
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Interesting that two people have picked MP but it only has 1 vote.

Anyway, I've never really got the love for MP, Hemispheres is much better.

Tom Sawyer
YYZ
Limelight
Red Barchetta

admittedly the album takes a slight dip after delivering 4 masterpieces but hardly drops off the end of a cliff.

Hemispheres just has that feeling to me that the formula was becoming a tad stale. Change was a coming. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 15:37
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Moving pictures is anologous to Wind & Wuthering...Genesis and Rush both went downhill faster than a greased rhino on a glacier after both releases....

lol , Permanent Waves - Freewill , Spirit Of Radio , Jacobs ladder. Yep what a pile of sh*t! LOL
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 16:55
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

lol , Permanent Waves - Freewill , Spirit Of Radio , Jacobs ladder. Yep what a pile of sh*t! LOL

Except Permanent Waves was before Moving Pictures.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 20:11
Moving Pictures. Hems has grown on me a lot over the years, but I still hold it's sound is a bit sterile. MP is very nearly faultless.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 20:40
Overall, I prefer Hemepheres over Moving POictures, so it got my vote.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 00:14
Hemispheres. My all time favorite Rush album. Nuff said
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 00:26
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Aye...I think lockdown has played havok with his chronological prog module...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 00:27

Just addressing the idea that Rush went downhill after Hemispheres when they clearly didn't. Permanent Waves was a new lease of life for them and then came one of the best albums ever made imo.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 00:37

Just addressing the idea that Rush went downhill after Hemispheres when they clearly didn't. Permanent Waves was a new lease of life for them and then came one of the best albums ever made imo.
in all honesty  things were always on the incline up until signals it was after that where the band started to struggle. But Hemispheres is still my favorite Rush album because though not being as sophisticated as Moving Pictures or Signals its captures the bands essence perfectly. Tongue
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 00:40

I'm with you. Signals and Grace Under Pressure are great albums. In fact I would argue that Rush have a better post Moving Pictures discography than Genesis's post W&W discography.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 00:46
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I'm with you. Signals and Grace Under Pressure are great albums. In fact I would argue that Rush have a better post Moving Pictures discography than Genesis's post W&W discography.

I'm also a fan of Power Windows. After that it gets a bit sketchy. Genesis - I actually love ATTTW and 70% of Duke but after that it was all a bit depressing. I often play the 1980 Lyceum gig from the Duke Tour , probably my favourite live recording by any band ever. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 00:58
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Signals and Grace Under Pressure are great albums. In fact I would argue that Rush have a better post Moving Pictures discography than Genesis's post W&W discography.

Without a doubt. Power Windows is amazing, too. That wave they rode went higher and higher and only on Hold Your Fire did things finally begin to plateau. It still has a bunch of awesome songs and rightfully enjoys a "classic" status in their discography.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 01:01

Genesis - I actually love ATTTW and 70% of Duke but after that it was all a bit depressing. I often play the 1980 Lyceum gig from the Duke Tour , probably my favourite live recording by any band ever. 

Same. I also like the first side of the '83 album. After that, they're toast until "Fading Lights." And then they're toast. LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 01:04
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Genesis - I actually love ATTTW and 70% of Duke but after that it was all a bit depressing. I often play the 1980 Lyceum gig from the Duke Tour , probably my favourite live recording by any band ever. 

Same. I also like the first side of the '83 album. After that, they're toast until "Fading Lights." And then they're toast. LOL

Yep Fading Lights was weirdly very good until they just threw the towel in altogether
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 01:55
Hemispheres, but it's close.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>