Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What about Peter Hammill Voice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about Peter Hammill Voice?
    Posted: April 28 2020 at 07:03
What do you think about it? Just drop your opinions.
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 07:19
‘The Hendrix of the voice’ as I read somewhere.
The way he articulates every word, phrase and mood - unbelievable. Can go from soft to guttural in a split second, can be absolutely bonkers at times. He writes intelligent lyrics and the music is mostly adventurous and unique to match. He’s not everyone’s cuppa, but one of the greatest of our time.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 07:21
All good for me. His rasp and gravelly off-kilter way of singing is unique.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 07:24
Quite useful if you need to clear mice or other small rodents from an outbuilding.

Permanently.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 28 2020 at 07:25
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 07:37
It is one of the most unique voices i've ever heard. The thing is, the dude can actually sing, but he moreso uses his voice as an instrument. He also was sort of doing those somewhat gutteral vocals far before they were expanded on in genres like death metal. Same can be said for the singer of Comus.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 07:39
I love it, but in the beginning it took some getting used to. I think he sometimes overdoes the shouting, he is better when he doesn't. Also he has on some albums that I think he mixed himself not presented his voice in the best possible way (I actually think he should have left the mixing more to others).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 07:57
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

What do you think about it? Just drop your opinions.

Hi,

When ANYONE can specify how they feel, be it in song or film, or theater, it doesn't matter what their "voice" sounds like. 

People didn't like Joe Cocker either, and yet a lot of concert goers ended appreciating someone that really had the quality and the chops to be where he was.

The same thing goes for Roger Chapman, who was capable of doing soft stuff as well as the harder stuff.

It has nothing to do with the "voice" ... it has to do with their delivery and quality of delivery, and PH is one of the best about telling us about his feelings, and his honesty shines all over each and every word he brings out. 

Sad that people get stuck on the voice and can not HEAR the words and their quality! Just separates the rotters from the music appreciation society!

Edited by moshkito - April 28 2020 at 08:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 07:58
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Quite useful if you need to clear mice or other small rodents from an outbuilding.

Permanently.

You must be listening to Yoko One a bit too much! Big smile
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 08:04
pretty horrible---I'm neurotic enough lol don't like neurotic voices or music---what especially bothers me is put on voices---I like a singer to open their mouth and sing and the natural sound to come out and not be too pretentious.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 08:07
I think there is a great difference between 1969-71 records and 1975-77 records.

I love Hammill's voice in Aerosol / The Least / H to to He / Pawn Haerts: in these Lp he touches the higher notes with an angelic and wonderful voice (Refugees) and he touches the more dramatic notes with an expressionist voice.

Instead in Godbluff (partially) /Still Life / World Record (most of all) / The Queit (partially) he is not able to catch the higher notes and so he sings with an hoarse and strangled voice that it is difficult to listen to.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 08:14
I like his vocals a lot, very expressive vocalist. I enjoy classic VDGG quite a bit. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 08:14
Dead there are simply no words.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 08:32
I really couldn't stand it at first but it gradually grew on me
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 08:50
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Permanently.

You must be listening to Yoko One a bit too much! Big smile
I was just joshing; I'm a big Hammill & VdGG fan. Yoko, not so much...
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 08:54
I'd rather listen to nails scratching down a blackboard for a week.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 09:03
Not really my favorite, though he is a good singer, with good technique. I just don't like his tone. 

Edited by Manuel - April 28 2020 at 09:04
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 09:23
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I think there is a great difference between 1969-71 records and 1975-77 records.

I love Hammill's voice in Aerosol / The Least / H to to He / Pawn Haerts: in these Lp he touches the higher notes with an angelic and wonderful voice (Refugees) and he touches the more dramatic notes with an expressionist voice.

Instead in Godbluff (partially) /Still Life / World Record (most of all) / The Queit (partially) he is not able to catch the higher notes and so he sings with an hoarse and strangled voice that it is difficult to listen to.

Yeah I feel very much the same way about this! Enjoy the later VdGG albums as well, but nowhere near as much as the earlier albums and Peter Hammill's debut.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Run Home Slow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run Home Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 20:29
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

‘The Hendrix of the voice’ as I read somewhere.
The way he articulates every word, phrase and mood - unbelievable. Can go from soft to guttural in a split second, can be absolutely bonkers at times. He writes intelligent lyrics and the music is mostly adventurous and unique to match. He’s not everyone’s cuppa, but one of the greatest of our time.

Can't say it better...
If you got ears, you gotta listen — Captain Beefheart
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 20:39
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I'd rather listen to nails scratching down a blackboard for a week.

If I may paraphrase Charles Baudelaire (who was originally referring to Wagner):

I love Hammill, but the vocality I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 21:20
On some songs I love him, others I don't.

PROGMATIC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>