Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Police???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 15:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Zolo is a term I first heard around 1999 or 2000 or so which is right around the time I first rediscovered prog on the internet. It's usually applied to quirky bands like Oingo Boingo, Split Enz, Sparks, XTC, The Tubes, Devo and pretty much any artist or band who doesn't fit into a neat little box but mostly stuff that isn't really full blown prog. I've seen Frank Zappa described as Zolo also. I would say it's pretty similiar to art rock but not quite the same thing. There probably is some overlap though. I heard the term about maybe a year ago or so but before that I hadn't heard it in nearly 20 years. It's not super well known term(even among music fans)but it is apparently a real thing.

I just happened across this strange tag on RYM, which contains several favorites of mine - Cardiacs, Gentle Giant, P-Model, even Moonriders. But what the hell is this genre? Some kind of New Wave/prog/buzzysynth hybrid? What albums fall under this definition?

This is how RYM describes it:

The term "zolo" was first coined by Terry Sharkie via his "Zany Zolo Muzik Hour" radio show to describe a cross-section of bands and artists with similar approaches to music. Zolo is characterized by hyper, jerky rhythms, synthesized bleeps and boings, polka-dot percussion, chipper falsettos, zany imagery, and a Zappa-esque sense of humor. While Zolo contains elements associated with Progressive Rock or New Wave, Zolo itself is a creative thread that runs independently of both of these genres.

Finding its beginnings in the 1970s with the quirky prog of Gentle Giant and comic art-pop of Sparks (produced by another Zolo godfather, Todd Rundgren), Zolo reached its apotheosis during the late 1970s and 1980s, with XTC's Go 2, Split Enz's Second Thoughts, and Godley & Creme's L often considered the best examples of the genre. Other albums high in Zolo content include Bill Nelson & Red Noise's Sound-On-Sound, Devo's Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!, Wazmo Nariz's Things Aren't Right, Snakefinger's Chewing Hides the Sound and Greener Postures, Debile Menthol's Émile au jardin patrologique, and numerous works by Albert Marcśur. Zolo was particularly popular in Japan, spawning bands like P-Model, ヒカシュー [Hikashu], Uchouten, Wha Ha Ha, 人生 [Zin-Säy!], and Picky Picnic.

Thanks for the info but people will insist on putting any old wine in new bottles won't they? Wink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I would normally count Roxy Music as art rock. The one song that does sound proggy to me in some way is "The Bogus Man".

The difference is Roxy Music are on this site(under crossover prog). Many of the bands considered Zolo aren't. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 16:36

I would normally count Roxy Music as art rock. The one song that does sound proggy to me in some way is "The Bogus Man".

The difference is Roxy Music are on this site(under crossover prog). Many of the bands considered Zolo aren't. 
IMO Roxy’s first 2 albums are Prog, even Proto-Punk, the first 2 Split Enz albums are full-blown quirky Symph-Prog, and the first 2 Devo albums have strong Progressive traits, especially their 2nd.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 16:47
^Frank Zappa doesn't consider Devo to be progressive rock so I guess they aren't. Wink He also doesn't(or should I say didn't)consider Procol Harum or Traffic to be prog rock either. I agree with Devo not being prog but not PH or Traffic(especially not Traffic). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 09 2020 at 16:47
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 16:53

^Frank Zappa doesn't consider Devo to be progressive rock so I guess they aren't. Wink He also doesn't(or should I say didn't)consider Procol Harum or Traffic to be prog rock either. I agree with Devo not being prog but not PH or Traffic(especially not Traffic). 
Sometimes 🙃
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 17:24
I say FECK THE POLICE! hehe

Somebody start a New Wave Archives and they'd be perfect for there but PA? nah

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 17:31
For those who are wondering why some bands are in prog related and some are not. It works like this, if a well respected and well connected site member who really knows what he or she is doing and has a long track record of working the system here and getting things done without pissing off too many people and they push hard enough and develop well considered arguments, then there is a slight chance they may get the band on here.
Without all the other stuff I mentioned, the band does not stand a chance.
These are not rules, this is just what i have observed happen in my time here.

Edited by Easy Money - May 09 2020 at 17:36
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 18:05
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Sometimes 🙃

No, he said sometimes for the others not for Devo, Traffic or Procol Harum. Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 18:14

Sometimes 🙃

No, he said sometimes for the others not for Devo, Traffic or Procol Harum. Wink
O.K. I can’t recall the finer details, only sometimes.....but agree, Traffic are Prog and Procol are (sometimes).
The Police are not, nor did tyey even want to be......
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 18:55

IMO Roxy’s first 2 albums are Prog, even Proto-Punk, the first 2 Split Enz albums are full-blown quirky Symph-Prog, and the first 2 Devo albums have strong Progressive traits, especially their 2nd.

I would have thought that the songs on the first two Roxy albums were too straight forward to be considered "prog". The music is clearly progressive, as in innovative, forward thinking and so on, but I think it lies more with the sonic textures (courtesy of Eno) rather than f.e. song structures.

Personally I find it a bit difficult to figure out where the line is drawn on this site between prog (as a genre) and rock music that is progressive in one way or another. Before joining this site, I had a much more narrow concept of prog (the likes of Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Rush, King Crimson and so on), and there was no way I would think of f.e. Brian Eno and Kraftwerk in that category.

It's the first time I ever hear the term "zolo"...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 20:14
Yep - the ol’ Prog versus Progressive argument......when will it end ??
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 20:55
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by zeuhl1 zeuhl1 wrote:

While personally I wouldn't include the Police despite an established prog history that goes deep into the roots of the foundation years of the genre and more recent lps with Fripp, I was a bit gob smacked to see a review of Metallica today? How did a thrash band slip past the goalie?
I did buy the Strontium 90 single when it originally came out and bought each Police Lp upon release. But Metallica?
A highly respected collaborator, who i will not name because he left long ago, was very persistent about Metallica's inclusion and could site specific musical samples etc. All of this is probably still on the forum somewhere.
If not for his efforts, I doubt many would have bothered to consider them.

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

For those who are wondering why some bands are in prog related and some are not. It works like this, if a well respected and well connected site member who really knows what he or she is doing and has a long track record of working the system here and getting things done without pissing off too many people and they push hard enough and develop well considered arguments, then there is a slight chance they may get the band on here.
Without all the other stuff I mentioned, the band does not stand a chance.
These are not rules, this is just what i have observed happen in my time here.

Metallica were rejected for Prog Related by the site owner (Max) on 30/05/07 but subsequently added on 13/10/2008

Those with sufficient intestinal fortitude can follow that bun fight here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29489&PID=2928809#2928809

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29489&PID=2996639#2996639

and the re-match here, where all manner of heinous subterfuge, including bun tampering was alleged:Shocked

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52554&KW=Metallica&PN=1

It's not a case of 'the Police for PA' but lack of policing for many previous Prog Related additions Wink

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 09 2020 at 21:19
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 21:41
^ I take it you don’t like Metallica then ??
They are my least favourite Thrash band. Megadeth are more Prog than Metallica ever.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 22:05
^ I'm not a fan but that's not the reason I believe their inclusion in Prog Related, like many other bands who I do like, is at best, dubious. There's no benefit to be gained by dredging up the past as long as we can learn from our mistakes moving forward.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 22:43
Scrap the entire ‘Prog Related’ category all together ?
When an album rates as 4 stars - excellent addition to any ROCK collection.....
Do they really need to be here at all ??
And, yes, I admire many artists in this division.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 22:50
^ That would be a welcomed move, but I wouldn't hold my breath there. 

Edited by Man With Hat - May 09 2020 at 22:51
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 08:12
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The Police are one of the biggest bands in rock music, they were at the top of the world for years. I think they would be in my Top 10 Bands of all time.

Both Andy and Stewart came from progy bands, but I really don't think they created any of The Police music with prog in mind. They don't need to be listed on PA database, in any sub genre.

This.

Great band, but they are not prog and are barely bordering on prog related. Same goes for Talking Heads.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 08:18
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The Police are one of the biggest bands in rock music, they were at the top of the world for years. I think they would be in my Top 10 Bands of all time.

Both Andy and Stewart came from progy bands, but I really don't think they created any of The Police music with prog in mind. They don't need to be listed on PA database, in any sub genre.

This.

Great band, but they are not prog and are barely bordering on prog related. Same goes for Talking Heads.
I totally agree. Next thing you know, there'll be calls for the Stranglers to be added to ProgArchives. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 15:13

Sometimes 🙃

O.K. I can’t recall the finer details, only sometimes.....but agree, Traffic are Prog and Procol are (sometimes).
The Police are not, nor did tyey even want to be......

So you are disagreeing with Frank? How dare you! Wink LOL I disagree with him too though. PH might be proto prog for the most part but Traffic were prog imo. The police were sort of beyond categorization but maybe new wave or art rock. 

Anyway, here's how I see it. Most of us on here are big music fans in general and have a knowledge and appreciation for music that goes way beyond prog so we don't need to have certain bands on here just so we can say we like them more. That's just silly. There are many bands on here most of us know(and like) that aren't prog. The Police and the Talking Heads are just two. I'm sure if the Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin and the Doors weren't on here it wouldn't make them any more obscure to most of us either.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 10 2020 at 15:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 02:15

Anyway, here's how I see it. Most of us on here are big music fans in general and have a knowledge and appreciation for music that goes way beyond prog so we don't need to have certain bands on here just so we can say we like them more. That's just silly. There are many bands on here most of us know(and like) that aren't prog. The Police and the Talking Heads are just two. I'm sure if the Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin and the Doors weren't on here it wouldn't make them any more obscure to most of us either.

I'm in complete agreement with you (especially the 'silly' partSmile) but whether we like it or not, there is a pervasive and stubborn perception out there that Prog Related is tantamount to 'Honorary Prog' status. I'm not sure how we combat this misunderstanding so that moving forward, additions are evaluated under the generally agreed criteria
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>