Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

progressive electronic and mental pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: progressive electronic and mental pictures
    Posted: May 10 2020 at 20:56
friends of progressive electronic will probably agree with me that the music can evoke mental pictures, even tell a kind of story. they will most certainly be different for everyone. and if a track is quite long there will perhaps be more than just one mental image; a series of pictures, like episodes in a story.

the idea of this thread is coming up with titles for the different episodes, just as "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" by Van der Graaf Generator, "Supper's Ready" by Genesis or "Eruption" by Focus have. I will give an example I mentioned in my poll about "Encore" by Tangerine Dream.

the track "Desert Dream" on this album does for me have six different parts:

1) In the Ghost Town
2) Across the Desert
3) Sol caliente y fatamorgana
4) At the Grave of the Unknown Soldier
5) The Apparition
6) The Ghost Rider in the Sky

now it is your turn. enjoy

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 22:51
The only one that springs readily to mind is Tangram Part One . Its a life cycle from birth to death but I think that is clearly knitted into the structure of the music.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 05:27
Jethro Tull’s “We Used to Know” has a fantastic guitar solo by Martin Barre, which always made me think of somebody “crying of sadness,” and that’s what I’ve always called that solo. Steve Hackett’s solo on Firth of Fifth has always given me the impression of “floating in an ocean of imagination,” which would be the name I would give it. Jon Anderson’s Olías of Sunhillow has many parts which I could name, but specially “Moon Ra/Chords/Song of search “ has the solo which I would name “Cosmic Storm.”

Edited by Manuel - May 11 2020 at 07:02
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 09:43
there is a real movie going on in my head during "Desert Dream". at first I am in a ghost town on the edge of the desert. the new day is dawning. I walk in and out of the houses, see the layers of dust, the cobwebs, the general rot and decay. for some reason I decide to cross the desert. at first this is no problem, but as the sun rises it gets hotter and hotter, and I can hardly move anymore. there is a fata morgana of a graveside with a wooden cross. I gather all the strength I have left in fear of dying too, and I finally arrive at the graveside. the sign on the cross reads: "unknown soldier. ?-1863". I bend forward and touch the cross, and suddenly there is an apparition of a young soldier in blue uniform. he speaks to me with urgency, but there is no sound; I only see his lips moving. finally he gives up, turns and mounts the apparition of a horse with which he rides away into the sky. I look back at the cross, and it now reads "Joseph Baxter. 03-18-1843 - 05-20-1863"

Edited by BaldJean - May 11 2020 at 09:45

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 11:50
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 15:51
When music inspires me to visualize, it is mostly in abstract forms of color and shape in turn inspired by album art. For example, with Close to the Edge I see a mix of shades of green, jungle-like but not in enough detail to be a jungle.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 18:30
Hi,

I've written a lot of poetry to TD's music ... but visualizations for me, is different, in that the next day, or next time, it is not the same ... it's a different time and place even if the music is the "same". The results will vary.

I have written many things off my visualizations, and a lot of my comments on music and the arts come out of those bits and pieces, and they are tough, since putting them "down" is not enough for me ... you want the full movie and monty and can't ... only a breadth comes out of it all ... and while I can EASILY (in the writing) see the poem again, if I only played the music, the poem would be different this time.

I'm not even sure that I have posted many of these, but I have written many of them for the YGDRASIL JOURNAL OF POETIC ARTS.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 22:42
Tangerine Dream

Rubycon, Part 1

The intro, those claustrophobic, stunted chordings remind me of the atmosphere Tolkien described in the mines of Moria, the faint tappings echoing, the very faintest sounds amplified.

Pippin drops the stone down the shaft. It seemed many beats of the heart before it could faintly but clearly be heard, splooshing into some unknown, unknowable, unimaginably great depth.

The mellotron washes that follow the intro are sufficiently beautiful to sound like emerging from the dark depths into Lothlorien, the wind washing through the trees.

The bestial VCS-3 sounds, the chilling calls of the Nazgul.

The sequenced section, the pursuit of the Fellowship by the Ringwraiths through Eriador.

The concluding prepared piano part the confrontation of Gandalf and the Balrog.

The second side, although less evocative in this way, does appropriately end up at the sea. The Grey Havens.

I was reading The Fellowship Of The Ring for the first time when I was listening to Rubycon for the first few times.

If you couldn't tell.
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 06:48
Originally posted by Frankh Frankh wrote:

Tangerine Dream

Rubycon, Part 1

The intro, those claustrophobic, stunted chordings remind me of the atmosphere Tolkien described in the mines of Moria, the faint tappings echoing, the very faintest sounds amplified.

Hi,

This is so strange for me, because a book, has as many "visuals" as a piece of music, and for me, they are not the same ... I have too many visuals with TD music, for a book to mix in ... and this one is a bit rare for me, and not likely. I "live" inside the book, just as much as the music, thus the same music would not happen for me.

I'm just thinking that what you said is a result of the "not reading" thing in schools ... people don't bother anymore, and it's hard to see a "picture" when it is not COMPLETE. I really don't know how folks think that Wiki is so great, when what it does is hurt what is known as "literature" or "art". I do appreciate it helping folks find and see it more, but to make people think that they know the "visual" now and that it will be the same tomorrow ... suggests that one's attention is not to the "seeing", but to the Wiki information, or someone else's vision/idea which is far out. And what the ladies and some folks mentioned here is far out, but that is about them, not the music, although the music helps bring about some landscapes.

Edited by moshkito - May 13 2020 at 07:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 00:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Tangerine Dream

Rubycon, Part 1

Hi,

This is so strange for me, because a book, has as many "visuals" as a piece of music, and for me, they are not the same ... I have too many visuals with TD music, for a book to mix in ... and this one is a bit rare for me, and not likely. I "live" inside the book, just as much as the music, thus the same music would not happen for me.

I'm just thinking that what you said is a result of the "not reading" thing in schools ... people don't bother anymore, and it's hard to see a "picture" when it is not COMPLETE. I really don't know how folks think that Wiki is so great, when what it does is hurt what is known as "literature" or "art". I do appreciate it helping folks find and see it more, but to make people think that they know the "visual" now and that it will be the same tomorrow ... suggests that one's attention is not to the "seeing", but to the Wiki information, or someone else's vision/idea which is far out. And what the ladies and some folks mentioned here is far out, but that is about them, not the music, although the music helps bring about some landscapes.

Hi,

I was, as I posted, reading Tolkien for the first time when I was also hearing Rubycon for the first time. This was also my first exposure to Tangerine Dream, I do believe.

It was a very long time ago.

lol

There was no Wiki involved. No Wiki about it.

lol

There may have been some other influences involved. I can neither confirm nor deny.

No. No, make that I will neither confirm nor deny.

lol

Either way, regardless, it was all quite an experience, and I have continued to love both these things, Rubycon and Tolkien's trilogy, and both of these artists, Tangerine Dream and John Ronald Reuel.

To my own personal great enjoyment.

Thanks for responding!
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 07:44

There was no Wiki involved. No Wiki about it.

lol

Hi,

Now I have to read it again ... I hope I did not infer that ... but the idea of your mentioning it ... yeah ... nowadays it would be that ... in those days it was Cliff Notes!

There may have been some other influences involved. I can neither confirm nor deny.

No. No, make that I will neither confirm nor deny.

I came from a literary family (over 40K books of Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian materials), and while I loved the music, I had already paralleled the universe ... creative was not only in music, but also in writing, in theater, film (I still review foreign films), and other arts.

Influences are strange, but if you study the dreaming, it's not quite the visual that seems to influence you as much as the "personal expression" that is used ... since in the end, it is a person that is doing it, and I think, that too many times we get lost in the "message" and forget the "medium" ... 

I kinda synthesized this later when don Juan told Carlos (Castaneda) that drugs were not necessary, but you were one of those that wouldn't shut up so we had to give you something else to look at! And shut he didn't as he kept writing! (hehehhe)

From that point on, I understood "influences" a lot better ... and it is not just memories and such ... because those are way too fleeting ... there is "meat and bones" behind it ... so to speak!

Either way, regardless, it was all quite an experience, and I have continued to love both these things, Rubycon and Tolkien's trilogy, and both of these artists, Tangerine Dream and John Ronald Reuel.
Thanks for responding!

You are welcome ... I'm not an "authority" on these things and don't want to be, but what I have written has been my experience.
www.pedrosena.com
ShroomZed View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShroomZed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 18:05
Tangerine Dream - Birth of Liquid Plejades

- Part One: Draught of Ultramarine Light 
Starts at 0:00. The volume and mass of the music slowly grows as we see of the blue light of the Pleiades come into view. 

- Part Two: Density of Stellar Miasma 
Starts at 2:02. The music becomes heavier and much more enveloping, and eventually distorting sounds come into the mix, communicating the haze of the reflection nebula the Pleiades is located in (although in real life nebulae on this scale are far too tenuous to see as a cloud or haze when travelling through it!). 

- Part Three: Cool Viscosity of Resonance 
Starts at 6:57. The strings are replaced with a much colder and darker droning moog accompanied by a deeply piercing higher tone. At this point we view the major stars of the Pleiades in a calming and meditative harmony. 

- Part Four: Transfix of Limitless Medium 
Starts at 10:36. We start to hear quavering and whispy tones behind the major moog, conveying the stellar winds passing by us from the lot. 

- Part Five: Convection of Fluidic Dynamism 
Starts at 15:04. The dominating sound now is a keyboard pulsating in a constant period. This is us feeling the fluxing of the stars and their immense power, brought to the surface partly by convective properties (in the dominating Pleiades stars, convection happens just above the stellar core). 

- Part Six: Symmetry of Radiative Pulsation 
Begins at 17:41. We start to hear warping sounds over the pulsating tones and the music becomes more mellow in tone. As we look back to the Pleiades, we imagine the stars pumping out electromagnetic radiation in spherical symmetry and travel on  back through the interstellar medium as the music quietens. 

Edited by ShroomZed - May 29 2020 at 18:06
 Post Reply Post Reply