FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

80's vs 90's prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 04:28
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^ So far i'm digging Univers Zero and Art Zoyd a lot. I wasn't around, but compared to the lackluster 80s prog scene I can only assume the 90s resurgence felt specialLOL

Myth. Time to broaden your focus, son. WinkLOL

I think it's hard to argue that it was probably the weakest, or least significant decade for prog music. But I could very well be wrong. Plenty of good releases in the mix though.

Hahaha, just posted this on the top 10 prog albums ever thread elsewhere:
Holger Czukay - Movies
King Crimson - Discipline
Kate Bush - The Dreaming
Camberwell Now - The Ghost Trade
.O.Rang - Herd of Instinct
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees
Can - Soon over Babaluma
Manfred Mann"s Earth Band - Nightingales and Bombers
Brian Eno and David Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

Decades:
Three from 70s
Five from 80s
Two from 90s => 80s were the best prog decade ever.

Edited by Lewian - May 13 2020 at 05:02
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 02:46
Although it's considered that the 80's killed prog and the 90's was some kind of a revival (which is basically true), there are tons of bands in the 80's still playing adventurous music. I think in general the 90's generated bands that were more consistent and more well known because of their...let say "Mainstream" approach rather than the 80's which were still maintaining an experimental approach, for example bands like DT, Ozric Tentacles, Pendragon, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Anglagard, Anekdoten, Spock's Beard, Pain Of Salvation and a lot of other metal bands enjoyed moderate success and interest. A lot of the 80's bands didn't make it to the 90's like Marillion did and vanished. Furthermore I think 1981 was as good and important to prog as the late 70's years. 

Here's a small list of bands that I remember but there are so many more...

80's - Dun, Eskaton, However, Present, 5uu's, Abus Dangereux, Altais/Apsara, Amenophis, Anamorphose, Asia Minor, Bacamarte, Bi Kyo Ran, Cai, Eider Stellaire, Equilibrio Vital, Isildurs Bane, Jean Paul Prat, Kultivator, Paga Group, Pablo El Enterrador, Patrick Gauthier, Plj Band, Serge Bringolf, Shub Niggurath, Solaris, Terpandre, This Heat, Zamla Mammaz Manna, Mars Everywhere. 

90's - Il Berlione, Kingston Wall, Xaal, 5uu's, Ayreon, Bi Kyo Ran, Bondage Fruit, Djem Karet, Echolyn, Eclat, Happy Family, Isildurs Bane, Landberk, Mansun, Orphand Land, Pangee,  Pan.Thy.Monium, Finnegans Wake.

Edited by Sagichim - May 13 2020 at 02:51
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 23:20
Again. People are claiming that stuff like the cardiacs is prog...lets face it neither Genesis nor Rush priduced prog in the eighties...and a lot of the so called neo-prog bands were forced to water diwn their prog to try and sell it...just coz your taste includes pop does not make the eighties great....only when prog became less commercial in the 90's, did we see proper prog again be released....so 90s it is by a mile...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 22:36
^Koenji Hyakkei, Bondage Fruit, Tipographica and Happy Family were Japanese prog bands from the 90's. Symph prog was the main prog for 80's Japanese bands while in the 90's the avant bands like those I just mentioned seemed to take center stage.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 12 2020 at 22:37
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 21:40

How I view these two decades:

1980s = Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Eloy and Rush kicked a lot of ass.

1990s = Japanese prog and fusion bands kicked a lot of ass.

Thanks for this!  I was an active musician in the 80s and 90s, and I thought jazz-rock fusion had a great run during both decades.  Bands I saw live in the 80s included Al Dimeola, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, etc.  90's saw the reunion of Dixie Dregs, great shows by Brand X, tons more. 

However, I'm not familiar with Japanese prog, could you be specific? 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 18:46

The 90s wasn't a resurgence. It was the "Third Wave." Prog never went away.

I agree. Same thing with the 80's. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 18:41

^ So far i'm digging Univers Zero and Art Zoyd a lot. I wasn't around, but compared to the lackluster 80s prog scene I can only assume the 90s resurgence felt specialLOL

I think it's hard to argue that it was probably the weakest, or least significant decade for prog music. But I could very well be wrong. Plenty of good releases in the mix though.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - May 12 2020 at 18:42
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:45
I guess 90's for me, though I still have some checking out to do on both decades, but specially on the 80's... I guess mostly on Neo and Prog Metal, to begin with.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:33

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:29
The 90s wasn't a resurgence. It was the "Third Wave." Prog never went away.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:05

It's funny how so many people refer to it as a resurgence. Yeah, I suppose technically it could be called that but it was mostly just people rediscovering prog and saying to themselves "wow, this stuff is still around." I don't think prog really got many younger or newer fans(if polls are to be believed)until the 2000's. But I suppose the influx of bands who started out because they got the word through the burgeoning internet could be considered a resurgence(for lack of a better term).
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 16:57
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 16:11

I'm really getting into 80s RIO/Avant Garde, but the 90s were a very special time for prog. You had Death, Dream Theater and Opeth doing genuinely awesome prog/tech death metal. A bit of a Symphonic resurgence and no, I don't think Anglagard is retro prog. I think they have their own sound but whatever you think, dropping that album in 92 was pretty damn balsy! We have post rock coming in (Slint, Sigur Ross, Godspeed), as well as many other great releases (OK computer, Rajaz, Cardiacs etc)

Wait a second. What year were you born again? WinkLOL I didn't know babies or toddlers listened to prog! I joke of course. Anyway, what 80's RIO/avant do you have in mind? There was Univers Zero, French TV, However, Rascal Reporters, and Art Zoyd. What else? 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 12 2020 at 16:12
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 13:41
How I view these two decades:

1980s = Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Eloy and Rush kicked a lot of ass.

1990s = Japanese prog and fusion bands kicked a lot of ass.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 12:20
I have to say that there`s a positive/negative view point for 80/90`s bands there are a few excellent, great and some not so good ones.  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 10:40
I'll add a big movement in Polish prog was initiated in the 1980s but flourished in the 1990s with Collage, Albion, Annalist, Quidam, Abraxas, and others
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 10:15
There weren't a lot of newer bands in the 80's because no one told them they could do it. In the 90's bands decided they were going to do it anyway. Wink Actually, some of them started in the 80's but didn't really get going until the 90's. The first proper Ozric Tentacles album was released in 1989(they had cassettes before that). I think the lesser known bands were more visible in the 90's because of a growing awareness of an underground scene(even before the internet caught on and separate from it) so they maybe got a bit more exposure than the underground bands from the 80's. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 12 2020 at 11:24
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 09:48
I'd have to sit down and make a list anyway to give an accurate response from my perspective but I tend to agree that there wasn't so much in the way of new prog bands in the 1980s but some of the older bands were still producing higher quality.  In the 1990s a lot of new bands came in.  

In the 1980s, the Germans were still going great guns, with Eloy and Novalis still doing good work in the first few years, and Anyone's Daughter producing most of their work in the 1980-1983 time frame.  plus a few bands like Amenophis.

In the 1990s, the prog revival in Italy was helped along by bands like Eris Pluvia, Ezra Winston and Il castello di Atlante, the latter of whom were actually a much older band that never did an album until the 1990s
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 09:14
I just woke up and am tired so no long essay here, but I don't distinguish "classic" prog from "modern prog." I divide prog into two categories: prog I like, and prog I don't like. That said, there was more prog I like in the '90s.
PROGMATIC
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 06:27
In Finland I think nineties was better time to prog than eighties. Prog was really bad word here in eighties. But of course then Jukka Gustavson made one really great album and Pekka Pohjola made 6 really good, although most of them have quite bad eighties synth sounds. But in the nineties here were also kind of alternative moving in prog, YUP made really great punkprog album Toppatakkeja ja Toledon Terästä, also Absoluuttinen Nollapiste started and make some good and one great prog-related albums. Wigwam made comeback and made one ok album, Haikara made comeback and made really great album. Pekka Pohjola released his first symphony and two others really great albums, Jukka Gustavson made two really great album and one ok jazz-album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>