Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters Wacked
    Posted: May 27 2020 at 11:52
I like to think that he lived to a ripe old burned out age with his 9th wife who goes by the name of Moonchild.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 11:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Don't worry Cristi. In the span of 3 short years, the kid in the photo turned into this!

My thought was "Died of complications secondary to leukemia after breathing all that burning vinyl smoke", but yours is a happier thought.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 10:20
^ Prog Jesus.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 09:47
Don't worry Cristi. In the span of 3 short years, the kid in the photo turned into this!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 04:07
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

You would have enjoyed that part of the sixties Jose! Smile

that was religious narrow-mindedness and fanaticism. 
oh, it wasn't that bad. They only burned their albums. There was a time when the Christians would have actually burned the Beatles. LOL

having a closer look, it's a rather disturbing picture as I see adults encouraging the youngsters to burn the albums. 
That was typical 1950s/early1960s adult/youth bonding. Next to the duck and cover drills at school, it was the highlight of the week! And look at how happy everyone in the photo is! Pure bliss!

Edited by SteveG - May 27 2020 at 04:09
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 03:38
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Well, there were tensions between the two Garden Wall members (Tony & Peter), but this was dating pre-Lamb. I read that Tony was really not happy with Peter coming out with the red dress and foxhead (he said it was not concerted with others), while the previous old'man mask (Musical box), the weird angular shape and batwings hadn't ruffled a feather. I guess that never camed down (I read Banks as a very stubborn man, and a control freak). And if reports that Gabe did come in one night and put that anazing slew of lyrics on Epping Forest are even remotely true (this sounds like total fantasy to me), this could be another stepping stone in the feud.

Yes, Tony certainly felt Peter was getting too much attention and probably fely he was taking it purposely (as opposed to thinking that it's normal that the press speaks about the frontman).

No such thing about Floyd, that was often called in the press the "faceless band"

I cited a parallel to Floyd in the sense that the frontman and lyricist Waters' role grew outsize with the success of concept albums.  In fairness to Floyd, they put up with him right until the point he decided to chuck them out of the band after an album he had written all by himself bombed. Whereas, yes, Gabriel's intentions weren't malafide; it was just and always has been about control in Genesis and control rests with Tony and his sidekick Mike. From the docu, it seemed like Mike's rapport with Hackett was even worse than Banks-Hackett. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 01:54
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Genesis wouold've loved to keep Gabe in, while SB +/- kicked their Walrus foul-breath frontman out.

I don't remember if I came across this in a Prog magazine article or in that Genesis documentary but, quite the opposite, Gabe described things as having reached a breaking point.  Years back when I had read a detailed article about Lamb too, it described the rest of the band as feeling Gabe got all the credit and that on this album, all the dramatising got out of control and overshadowed/marred the band.

Well, there were tensions between the two Garden Wall members (Tony & Peter), but this was dating pre-Lamb. I read that Tony was really not happy with Peter coming out with the red dress and foxhead (he said it was not concerted with others), while the previous old'man mask (Musical box), the weird angular shape and batwings hadn't ruffled a feather. I guess that never camed down (I read Banks as a very stubborn man, and a control freak). And if reports that Gabe did come in one night and put that anazing slew of lyrics on Epping Forest are even remotely true (this sounds like total fantasy to me), this could be another stepping stone in the feud.

Yes, Tony certainly felt Peter was getting too much attention and probably fely he was taking it purposely (as opposed to thinking that it's normal that the press speaks about the frontman).

No such thing about Floyd, that was often called in the press the "faceless band"
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 01:31

Genesis wouold've loved to keep Gabe in, while SB +/- kicked their Walrus foul-breath frontman out.

I don't remember if I came across this in a Prog magazine article or in that Genesis documentary but, quite the opposite, Gabe described things as having reached a breaking point.  Years back when I had read a detailed article about Lamb too, it described the rest of the band as feeling Gabe got all the credit and that on this album, all the dramatising got out of control and overshadowed/marred the band.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 01:10
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Anyway...didn't waters think that educating children was a bad idea? Sounds very like most fundamentalist religionists to me...they definately don't want children asking awkward questions...and most don't want girls to be educated at all...surely the wall missed the zeitgeist completely?

you sir, are trolling aroundStern SmilePigNuke

unless an idiot (and I don't believe you're one, but yoyu're playing one), there is no possible way you could misunderstand what Waters meant in that song, and opt for the exact opposite of what he meant...
Just look at the video of the film and you shall understand that he hated the way of the old school was enforced on kids. 

You're right Sean, talk about someone completely oblivious to the words of the song, the intent of the words, or the teacher in the movie smacking around the student. So I've altered the lyrics just to fit M27:

Barney needs more education
Barney has no self control
Can't read the lyrics off the album
Barney leave Pink Floyd alone --
Barney! Leave Pink Floyd alone.
All in all you're just a troll slinging
sh*t on The Wall --
More or less you're just a-nother
Troll soon to fall.

If you don't read the lyrics,
You can't be taken seriously.
How can you be taken seriously
If you don't read the lyrics?

LOLLOLLOL   
ClapClapClap

^ Aye. Didn't Neal Morse also leave after "snow"? Not sure for the same reasons as the other two tho...

Well, one could see a parallel between SB and Genesis (frontman leaving and drummer stepping out front), but it was for different causes

The Gabe had family issues (a son that needed a lot of meical attention) and didn't want to leave his wife alone , while touring around the planet, and the Walrus's (mose in French) religious proselytism that was terribly annoying the rest of the band. All the man was talking about was his newly fpound christian fauth and that's all ha wanted to write about, if memory serves.

But in either case, this has nothing to do with Floyd

And while one of the protag' in Supertramp was also named Roger, wanting out and have the rest of the band not using his songs live, little resemblance

Edited by Sean Trane - May 27 2020 at 01:21
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 23:25
And I am not trolling...which is usually vitriolic diatribe made agin fellow posters. I'm not particularly familiar with the lyrical content of the wall...just remember that Waters hated school and the hook of children singing "we dont need no education" and bad teachers like hammers in the video. Isuppose as with all lyrics...they could be interpreted any way the listener chooses....possibly why I disliked English Lit at school, preferred calculus over "Tess o'th Durbavilles" every day of the week..

Edited by M27Barney - May 26 2020 at 23:26
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 23:15
^ Aye. Didn't Neal Morse also leave after "snow"? Not sure for the same reasons as the other two tho...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 22:07

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

So I understand where MZBarney's complaint is coming from, the problem is only that he overstates it and completely dismisses Floyd's genius in putting together great studio albums, something that they were far better at than any of their prog peers.  The other bands just wrote a bunch of compositions they loved and released it (Lamb being the only exception and for which Banks and Rutherford duly rewarded Gabriel by firing him). That is why they don't have a particular point of view or story to tell.  But musically, they have more depth than Floyd's 'classic' phase and I would likewise say the first two PF albums had more depth than the 70s classic phase.

Uh!!....Confused

Peter was leaving the band in his head before the end of the recording the album, he announced mid-tour he was leaving, returned for a while after being busy on a William Friedkin project, then finally left for good. Wink

He left also because of the unbearable resentment, the constant griping from the others that only Gabriel was getting the press attention.  That is why concept albums didn't work at that time, because the one who devised the concepts became the dominant force (this happened all over again with Waters and Floyd). Genesis wanted to go right back to just writing a bunch of nice compositions and releasing a compilation thereof called 'album'. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 21:02

that was religious narrow-mindedness and fanaticism. 
oh, it wasn't that bad. They only burned their albums. There was a time when the Christians would have actually burned the Beatles. LOL

having a closer look, it's a rather disturbing picture as I see adults encouraging the youngsters to burn the albums. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 20:59

Too many floyd fanboys getting their knickers in a twist...floyd are in my second division, they are never going to threaten Genesis, Yes, ELP, Focus, IQ, Flowerkings, Spocks Beard, Glasshammer...ad nauseum...

funny that you criticize fanboys when you are the ultimate Genesis fanboy here, you may have even ruined Genesis for a few people. 

I would not compare Floyd with ELP or Yes, apples and oranges, Genesis as well. 

BTW, IQ is definitely influenced by Floyd LOL

Why do you misspell names of bands you say are favorite of yours? LOL

Oh, and Glass Hammer is one of the most tedious (to put it gently) retro-prog bands I've ever heard. 

Crisi. I AM not a Genesis fanboy. Am I? I do not listen to any Genesis after 1977...and at the moment I prefer Yes...and as for spelling...what law of physics says I can't like a band if I cannot spell their name? Eh?

I was making a simple observation, it's just what i see and well, I saw you making a big fuss anytime someone talks ill or disagrees with you on Genesis especially (and a few other bands you like). 
Maybe I am wrong. Or maybe you are trolling us LOL

Simply misspelling band names it's just... lazy. Confused
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 15:30

^ christians have form for burning rival cultural books way before the nazis did...The burning of the library at alexandria was their biggest crime...set western civilisation back nearly 1800 years....we may have put a man on the moon in the dark ages, rather than bend our feckin knees to iron age ideas...

Oops, I think you may want to check your history sources here LOL.
The Christians had nothing to do with this liberary. According to Plutarchos it burned down in the year 47 before christ. There are different takes on this but anyway you twist it - there were no christians around to accuse at the time.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 15:26

Anyway...didn't waters think that educating children was a bad idea? Sounds very like most fundamentalist religionists to me...they definately don't want children asking awkward questions...and most don't want girls to be educated at all...surely the wall missed the zeitgeist completely?

unless an idiot (and I don't believe you're one, but yoyu're playing one), there is no possible way you could misunderstand what Waters meant in that song, and opt for the exact opposite of what he meant...
Just look at the video of the film and you shall understand that he hated the way of the old school was enforced on kids. 

You're right Sean, talk about someone completely oblivious to the words of the song, the intent of the words, or the teacher in the movie smacking around the student. So I've altered the lyrics just to fit M27:

Barney needs more education
Barney has no self control
Can't read the lyrics off the album
Barney leave Pink Floyd alone --
Barney! Leave Pink Floyd alone.
All in all you're just a troll slinging
sh*t on The Wall --
More or less you're just a-nother
Troll soon to fall.

If you don't read the lyrics,
You can't be taken seriously.
How can you be taken seriously
If you don't read the lyrics?

Edited by The Dark Elf - May 26 2020 at 21:12
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 14:24

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 14:01
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:35

Dang it!!! I love bonfires Clap......s'mores anyone?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:33
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

Gee, that was rejuvenating. I feel like it is 1995 again and I'm in high school  arguing with my friend. With whom we stayed friends all that time. 
What are we discussing is mainly history. Did Roger sue his colleagues and lost? Yes, he did. Thirty five years ago. Did David carry the torch since? Yes, he did. Pink Floyd recorded two not-as-good-as-the-old-ones albums and ceased to record and tour in 1995. Twenty five years ago. Did they rejoin for one act? Yes, they did so in 2005. Fifteen years ago. Was the Reunion of the band possible (regardless with or without Waters)? Well, it cannot happen since Rick's death. Twelve years ago. And yet, Roger reconciled with Nick, and they have even performed with David for one rendition of Comfortably Numb in 2011. 
Pink Floyd is simply a history now. 
We are discussing two guys in their seventies. How much time they are left ahead? Some fifteen, twenty, let's say even thirty years. What's the use of playing the oh-so-long-ago lost and won wars again and again? Instead, more mature would be remembering the common twenty years of great history together and just let Roger Waters have his place on the bands site. Just because of what he did in good old days. Forget the bad, remember the good.
Unless, of course, something happened between these two gentlemen in recent days, which we are not aware of. 
Or, maybe, Mr Gilmour wants to prove again that he is the real Pink Floyd and is preparing some new stuff of the band. If it is so, he can take my money in advance.
David Gilmour stated recently in an interview with CBS that Pink Floyd is no more, there is never going to be a new Pink Floyd album, he said that is the past its done.

To the balance of your post which is very good.....what else are we going to talk about here on PA?? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>