Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Based on your appreciation, which of these ratings comes closest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [53.92%]
18 [17.65%]
18 [17.65%]
5 [4.90%]
4 [3.92%]
2 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Being that there is no 4.5 star rating on this site I voted for 5 stars. Smile

I hadn’t meant how you would rate it for the album page in PA, but which option in the poll most accurately reflects your enjoyment of the album. My PA album page rating might well be higher than how I would rate it in this poll.

Edited by Logan - May 20 2020 at 11:27
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:26
Today 4.5 stars....maybe 4 tomorrow.... I don't think I have ever given anything 5 stars...most of my favorites get 4 though it would be nice to have half point ratings added....so a 4.5 could be given. 
CTTE is currently at 4.66 on the top 100 list.
For me there really isn't a perfect masterpiece album...does anything really meet 5 stars..? I think some come close but it's human to be imperfect. 
But then I'm probably overthinking this...
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:29
On a scale of 1 to 5 it's easily a 10. (Said the man who hasn't listened to it in years.)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:35
^^ You are not overthinking it, the more thinking the better. ; ) I wish I had put a little more thought into the preparation of this poll. I especially wish I used the word enjoyment rather than appreciation for the poll question.

I am listening to the whole album again right now, I should be concentrating. But I’m only on the title track, and that one I have returned to many, many times. Dig that. Will see if the rest of the album resonates more this time. My appreciation of music often does vary very much depending on mood, inclination at the time, what I’m particulsrly into at any given time....

Edited by Logan - May 20 2020 at 11:38
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:38
The thing about CttE is that it's one of those albums that you can hold up as being a cornerstone of prog rock. It's almost legendary. I don't know if that makes the music better but it does seem to help.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:39
Now, ItCotKC actually is  legendary. Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:43
Well, it’s kind of like how I see ELP as quintessential Prog and can really appreciate ELP from that perspective but I don’t necessarily enjoy it much. I am enjoying the album more this time around than I usually have.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:49
Side 1 5*
Side 2 3*
Overall 4*
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 12:09
So I just listened to the whole album again, and rIght now, and this despite listening to this album many times since I first heard it in the 80s, I don’t know how I’d rate it. It seems messy. There are parts throughout the album that I love and parts that irritate me. I’ll have to listen again without any distractions to hear if it gets better for me. I’ve heard it called safe before, but that’s not how I would describe it. I do like contrast in music, and can enjoy jarring justpositions. I am a little surprised that some who find, say, King Crimson’s Lizard suite (which of course features Jon Anderson in part) find that to be too much, but find this album easy to listen to. My tastes are rather less out there than they used to be on the whole. I like my loungey Muzak.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 12:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Being that there is no 4.5 star rating on this site I voted for 5 stars. Smile

I hadn’t meant how you would rate it for the album page in PA, but which option in the poll most accurately reflects your enjoyment of the album. My PA album page rating might well be higher than how I would rate it in this poll.

Ok, well I'll stand by my five star rating regardless because I don't think there is another album I would rate higher(except maybe relayer and even then I'll admit it's subjective). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 20 2020 at 12:39
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 12:46
It's certainly a very good album and if anyone asks me "what is prog rock?" I think it's the best album to define the genre stylistically. I have a ton of albums I'd rate ahead of it in the masterpiece category. A solid 13 (4.5) for me.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 12:49
See the source imageMy favourite Yes Album 5 stars
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 13:00
Had to go with 5 stars on this one, it is easily the best Yes album IMO and is a quintessential album for any progressive rock fan to experience at least once. Any album that can be described like that generally would deserve nothing less than 4.5/5 stars. Though Relayer is my personal favorite of theirs, CttE is easily the most balanced, emotive and well-constructed album they made as a creative unit. Whether I'm just popping it on for a casual listen or pouring my "undivided attention" into it, I find CttE the easiest Yes album to completely lose myself in and I always come out the other side noticing something about the record I had never heard before.
Up there with ITCHYCOCK for sure.  
The most dangerous man in America.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 13:20
5.0/5. I am one of those guys who have this album on top of his overall ranking.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 13:21
It took me a second listen to get into but after that I loved it. It's otherworldly, and insanely catchy too. It tends to battle with The Yes Album for my favorite Yes album. I'd give it five stars any day of the week, and 6 on Christmas.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 13:28
3 stars for me, but as an album it is essential in the prog Parthenon. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 13:48
4.25 for me. Never liked And You and I.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - May 20 2020 at 13:48
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 14:30
4 stars. it is too "normal" (for prog that is), not challenging enough to get 5.

"Relayer" on the other hand - now that's a 5 star album

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 14:43
I think I’d give The Yes Album and Fragile top marks for Yes. After a second listen Today alone, I am giving CttE a three. I do think it’s an essential album for those delving into Prog to hear, but it doesn’t rank anywhere close to my favourite albums either generally or in the Prog sphere.   Never-the-less, I now appreciate it more than I did and may well come to enjoy it quite a bit more. I love various music on it, but it doesn’t gel quite as much as I might like or resonate deeply with me.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 14:43
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

3 stars for me, but as an album it is essential in the prog Parthenon. 

I noticed after looking at your ratings though you gave it 5 stars. There's no rule that says you have to give certain albums 5 stars if you don't feel that way(especially since your review seems to indicate you really do think it's a 3 star album). Wink Just out curiosity though which albums do you genuinely feel deserve 5 stars?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>