Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Based on your appreciation, which of these ratings comes closest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [53.92%]
18 [17.65%]
18 [17.65%]
5 [4.90%]
4 [3.92%]
2 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?
    Posted: March 09 2021 at 09:11
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

^ Behind The Ladder & Talk....Mmmmmmmm, Interesting...Wink

Only by a Fragile margin though. Smile
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 08:51
^ Behind The Ladder & Talk....Mmmmmmmm, Interesting...Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 06:28
It's a 5-star album for me and 4th on my list of Top 7 YES albums, just behind 1. The Ladder; 2. Talk; and 3. Going for the One. Thumbs Up
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 04:58
Please don't kill me, but 4 stars. I think Fragile and The Yes Album are superior, the last one being in my top 5 albums and my favorite Yes album.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 03:38
4.5 with a very strong inclination to 5, so this makes 4.75. LOL
Let's say 5 stars, it is a fantastic album that I never get tired of. A true legacy album.

Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 02:42
I rate it 4 stars, which is as good as Yes get for me. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 02:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I would say close to the edge is to prog rock what dark side of the moon is to classic rock. I would say 4.5 maybe 5 not sure.

Classic rock is  sales format not a genre or style. E.g how does one play a guitar solo in a classic rock style? Fleetwood Mac or Black Sabbath and bands like these? All lumped in as they recorded in the 1970s and this tag, or headstone has been imbued with meaning without definition.

Dark Side was probably the primary prog rock album to break through into popular culture possibly way more than ITCOTCK or CTTE.

Anyway for those interested (no one) And You And I is incomparable. Khatru pretty much the same level of brilliance. The suite is terrific (I even once had the single...). Colourful creative music. Not going to put Yes in the public pantheon the way Dark Side did; far too specialized i.e. not universal though And You And I could work on the public in that way. It's as brilliantly timeless as the great classical melodies.

Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 15:53
4.5 for me. Really enjoyed the first and third tracks, very stirring and exciting pieces of music! And You and I is not quite as consistently gripping of a song from start to finish in my opinion, but it certainly isn't bad.

If I reviewed the album and had to choose between 4 and 5 stars, it would be a 5.
May God bless you all in Jesus' name. No matter who you are, you're special, you're loved, and you matter.
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 04:51
5/5. But Tales is a 5.5/5 Wink
All is but God in God to God revealed;
and so all is, for naught but God is real.
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 20:50
5/5 its perfect.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 10:53
4.5..............because nothing  deserves 5 stars.

Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - July 18 2020 at 10:54
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 06:39
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The voting is not even Close to the Edge  so far. Yes, it's five stars all the way for me too, baby. Smile

It is not surprising. A lot of us believe it is the quintessential progressive rock record! TongueStar
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 15:47
The voting is not even Close to the Edge  so far. Yes, it's five stars all the way for me too, baby. Smile
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 14:04
For me, it has to be five stars, any way I cut it. Let me give you one very simple reason: 
I consider Siberian Khatru a bit, just a bit less exciting than And You And I and Close to the Edge suite. So, logically, this one is the "weakest" track, according to my taste... but it's still a five star material. It has great melodies, sense of danger, unique sounds, very tasty twists and turns. Very Fragile like composition, but better than Roundabout.

Yes, this album is easily 5 stars worthy.

Edited by thief - July 16 2020 at 14:06
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 10:16
CTTE was the first Yes album I ever heard back in 74. I loved it then and I still regularly play it when exercising each morning. CTTE is a fantastic piece and even if SK is a weaker track, the album is still superb.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 05:58
Right - I’ve just spun my record of CTTE - it has been quite a while. Just felt like it this eve. I stand (or rather, sit, here, currently) and it is indeed up there with the BEST, that Prog has to offer. It’s definitely an enduring CLASSIC. Everything in the right place.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:12
To me its a solid 4 stars, i prefer Fragile over CTTE
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 06:13
I've given it 5 stars when I reviewed it long time ago. I haven't changed my mind.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 23:43
Absolutely beautiful.

However many stars that is.

And Tales, too.

( felt like Dorothy Gale adding that )

Edited by Frankh - May 22 2020 at 23:45
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 23:39
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

To me is a 5 stars album, but not the master piece of all master pieces. One of the most important albums of the gloden era of progressive music, but not the ultimate progressive music album. 

there is no such thing though. For the time and considering that symphonic prog dominated , then its as close to anything else that I can think of. Maybe if Genesis had made LLDOB a single album , then that would be it. Possibly Wish You Were Here wrapped up everything in a nice package as did TAAB. Beyond that what else? GG were just too quirky and VDGG off the scale weird.
CTTE is accessible, perfectly performed and easy to listen to while retaining enough complexity of ideas to be a proper prog album. Yep it's numero uno in my book.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>