Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How would you rate ItCotCK by KC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: How woukd you rate ItCotCK by KC?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [9.68%]
56 [90.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 10:35
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

My simple test for "is it the best album ever?".
Q "Is it called Music Inspired by The Snow Goose"
A "Yes" - then it is.
A "No" - then it isn't.

This, but for MoonmadnessTongue

Les Cinq Saison is an acceptable answer tooCool

Edited by dougmcauliffe - May 22 2020 at 10:36
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 10:36
Essential album, certainly. Historically important, yes. Greatest? No. There is, after all, about 12 minutes of tinkling and noodling on one song that could be reduced to about 2 minutes of actual worthwhile listening.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 12:51
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

There is, after all, about 12 minutes of tinkling and noodling on one song

That's actually my favourite part of the album.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 12:59
Gots to be #2 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 13:02
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I've said it before, I don't love Court. Schizoid Man is great but for me the rest of the album is just OK. That being said  I understand it's very significant prog rock album, just not one of my favorites.  

Interesting. My opinion is the exact opposite of yours: Every other song is better than "Schizoid." It may be the most well-known, but IMO it's overrated. "Epitaph" is probably my fave. (And ItCotCK is still better than any one Floyd album.)

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 13:07
Its not the best prog album but its a great album its in my top 25 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 13:11
Most important prog album ever but not the best though imo.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 14:37
I don't even think it's the most important prog album. It's one of them though but I would argue that CTTE is more important. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 14:41
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

no, prog didn’t peak 50 years ago. This is like going on an art forum and posting “is the Mona Lisa the greatest painting of all time.”

Here’s an idea for a thread, do an album of the week and chose generally lesser known albums. Every Sunday make a new post for it and have it stickied. Throughout the week members can listen and discus their thoughts and impressions on said album. Possibly only choose albums under a certain rating threshold etc, would be an infinitely more interesting discussion.
Why don't you go off and do that now. We'll be waiting for your posts. Smile
The problem with this is the response would be minimal. Maybe post only a song instead of the entire album?

The fact is...most of the current forum members want to discuss the same album forever. Maybe in 50 years that will change?

Make it a little bit more. The centennial remix will just have been released by then.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 14:43
Excellent album. Broke some ground. Definitely edgy. But not the best.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 15:21
3.5 stars. A couple of cool tracks. Fairly outdated sound and style though. Poseidon is a better effort
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 16:03
'Itchycock' (to quote Dean Big smile) cycles in and out of fashion every twenty years or so in popular culture e.g. when the 90's EDM crowd deemed the Mellotron 'cool' again or in lieu of having any ideas at all, the old gets branded the new new. For me, contemporaneous albums by the Nice, Procul Harum and Arthur Brown have aged rather better. Regardless, 21st Century Schizoid Man, Epitaph and the title track are all still pretty damn indispensable for anyone wanting to trace the path from Psychedelia to Prog. Good albeit rather uneven 3 star album in my book.

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 16:41
Well it's not my favorite, though there's definitely an argument to be made for it being the most important or influential prog album of all time.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 16:44
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

3.5 stars. A couple of cool tracks. Fairly outdated sound and style though. Poseidon is a better effort

I feel like Poseidon is on par with Court until about halfway through The Devil's Triangle, at which point I get pretty tired of it and Court starts to seem like the more appealing listen. I do love the Peace interludes though.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 16:51
Not the best, but one of the most iconic albums of progressive music.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 18:18
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I feel like Poseidon is on par with Court until about halfway through The Devil's Triangle, at which point I get pretty tired of it and Court starts to seem like the more appealing listen. I do love the Peace interludes though.

Personally, I think Poseidon falls off a steep cliff right after Cadence and Cascade. The title track is just a poor mans epitaph, cat food is a bad Beatles B-side and the Devils Triangle is just a snooze fest. Just my thoughts though.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - May 22 2020 at 18:19
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 19:11
I love it, 5 stars for me, but not the best. I too believe that if one album might get a chance of having more positive votes in a thread like this, it would be CttE... perhaps something from Genesis, like Selling England, or even some other album by King Crimson, I guess it would have to be Red. As for the most important, perhaps then ItCotCK might actually take the lead over CttE (at least in my mind), just for being the album that kickstarted the prog genre.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 19:24
Historically important. A landmark album in the history of prog. 21st Century Schizoid Man and the title track are superb, the rest is fairly forgettable.

For historical importance 5 stars. For the album itself 4 stars, and it's not the greatest prog album of all time, it's not even the best King Crimson album.
Songs cast a light on you
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 22:12
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

no, prog didn’t peak 50 years ago. This is like going on an art forum and posting “is the Mona Lisa the greatest painting of all time.”

Here’s an idea for a thread, do an album of the week and chose generally lesser known albums. Every Sunday make a new post for it and have it stickied. Throughout the week members can listen and discus their thoughts and impressions on said album. Possibly only choose albums under a certain rating threshold etc, would be an infinitely more interesting discussion.

And there it is that you kept posting in the thread. It did make an interesting discussion after all! LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 23:31
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Historically important. A landmark album in the history of prog. 21st Century Schizoid Man and the title track are superb, the rest is fairly forgettable.

For historical importance 5 stars. For the album itself 4 stars, and it's not the greatest prog album of all time, it's not even the best King Crimson album.

yep pretty much spot on although Epitaph is very memorable as well. I suppose typical of so many great prog albums it had 3 Marquee tracks and a lot of other stuff. Perhaps Yes realised that you only ever have 3 great tracks for an album when they made CTTE Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>