Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Best Game Console Of The Early 90s

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Sega Mega Drive aka Sega Genesis versus SNES aka Super Famicom. Fight!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [16.67%]
3 [50.00%]
2 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best Game Console Of The Early 90s
    Posted: May 25 2020 at 15:51
SMD/SG vs SNES were the epitome of the console war at the time. Let the fair fight decide! 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 21:31
Neo Geo?
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 07:03
I had (and still do have) a SNES and loved it. Never had a Sega Genesis so no vote
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 12:31
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Neo Geo?

I understand your choice! Really! Great design, colourful dynamic games. Everything is big, controllers are top design and top quality. Very classy thing. 

However, the places I am from, the former USSR, hardly ever had a chance to taste the Neo Geo thoroughly. We, much like Brazil, and, probably, Korea, witnessed the grandeur of Mega Drive. Some of could buy Super Nintendo. Most of us only played the cheap 8-bit NES clones. 

Edited by Woon Deadn - May 26 2020 at 12:31
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 12:39
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I had (and still do have) a SNES and loved it. Never had a Sega Genesis so no vote

Sega made faster games. Since I adore scrolling shooters, I should say Sega MD definitely wins in that niche. SNES, in my opinion, on the other hand, had greater Adventures Of Batman, had excellent Super Mario World, three DKC's... 

To me personally, Mega Drive kept a decent balance between retro opportunities and modern day gaming. Thus, I think that in many SNES games melodies sounded too orchestral and too much the same. Similarly, the unique benefits of Mode 7 appeared too often here and there, where they were needed and where they weren't. Just my opinion, for sure. 
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 12:54
Never had a game console, except for the early Atari consoles and a bunch of cheap crappy consoles. I was always an arcade guy. I just love the vibe of it.

Yet, I played on various consoles in my friends' homes, and from time to time borrowed them for a week or so.

If I'm not mistaken, I played on the two that you mentioned, but Sony Playstation's original console was the best. It was simply mind-blowing. One of my friends bought it immediately after it was out in the US, and invited me many times to play together, as I was the best gamer he knew. It was really an awesome game console. My same friend had also a Sega Saturn console, it was also close and very fun. Yet, I think Playstation was groundbreaking at that time.

One of the biggest reasons I never bought a game console is also related to the fact that I hate gamepad control. Jus' gimme arcade joystick and those buttons anytime.

Edited by Shadowyzard - May 26 2020 at 13:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:05
Ah, sorry you said "early" 90s. If 1994 is counted as early, my comment is valid. If not, forget about it. Haha.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:14
Also if handheld consoles are counted, Nintendo Game Boy was also very cool, if you could come across some good games. A version of Super Mario was very fun to play, for instance. Gamepad control is not a problem on such games, but an element of displeasure for me while playing the games that require more complex and specifically circular, semi-circular motions etc. Also I can use my reflexes with my wrists and hands, better than my fingertips. So I prefer joystick control.

Edited by Shadowyzard - May 26 2020 at 13:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 14:08
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Ah, sorry you said "early" 90s. If 1994 is counted as early, my comment is valid. If not, forget about it. Haha.

I can't forget you Smile. No, that was interesting for me to read your recollections. Indeed PS1 appeared a bit later. And it introduced the powerful full 3D epoch. 

The consoles that I've mentioned were 2-D powerhouses, at best. Humble in resources, humble in memory (Sega Mega Drive's natural graphical resolution was 320*224 if I remember it right?), humble in opportunities. Anyway, lots of tricky decisions, lots of exquisite memory management quirks were devised by those days' programmers. And unlike the 8-bit where you can't confuse the screen's picture with real life, on 16-bit consoles like Mega Drive or SNES at best the games did looked like a real professional cartoon. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 14:02
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 14:25
I voted for the SNES which I still have and play occasionaly (unlike the Wii Dead). I was never into shooters so a great part of the Mega Drive catalogue never appealed to me, although I played many hours of Sonic and Streets of Rage.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 14:44
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I voted for the SNES which I still have and play occasionaly (unlike the Wii Dead). I was never into shooters so a great part of the Mega Drive catalogue never appealed to me, although I played many hours of Sonic and Streets of Rage.

I am probably too vivid to play step-by-step'ed RPGs, so the whole bunch of them on SNES are not of any interest to me, at all. My views are not canonic, anyway - for I prefer the first Sonic game, hate Global Gladiators and see nothing special in Golden Axe series. I like the game with specific atmosphere. To my taste, Donkey Kong trilogy was rather about solving the puzzles - the same with Super Mario World 1&2. I played them all a bit - and it always looked to me like "Get! Set! Go! Prepare for the obstacles! Wow, we've made it!". In games like Sega's Tiny Toon or Twinkle Tale or Steel Empire it was for me just playing within the true atmosphere of the world seeming to be true, not solving puzzle number 2 on page number 3. 

But that's my view, personally mine. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 08:14
Hi,

Roomie played all the Final Fantasy series all the way to the end, but I think that was PS2, but honestly I never played these and don't know the difference.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 17:07
PS2 and its generation was when the games were going to look much greater visually than the covers for their cartridges/discs. Because in the 80s' games it was Conan the Barbarian on the cover and the circle with five sticks (the fifth one stood for a sword) in the screen. 

However, Sega 16bit & SNES and their generation happened when the games were becoming realistic cartoon-wise, though obviously not real-life-wise. 

But, hey, the titles like Sega's Disney's Aladdin or rarer stuff like Empire of Steel and Gynoug - I love this feeling that it's realistic but not to the extent of real human life. 

The whole 3D concept is alien to me, then. I like good old 2D computer games. And for me it was Sega Genesis/Mega Drive that kept a pretty nice balance between realism and gaming nature. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 23:17
SNES
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply