Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Blue Öyster Cult Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [9.80%]
5 [9.80%]
17 [33.33%]
3 [5.88%]
2 [3.92%]
2 [3.92%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.88%]
6 [11.76%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 17:17
The winning album: "Secret Treaties" (1974)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 08 2020 at 17:18
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 04:41
'Secret Treaties' seems like the obvious winner though 'On Your Feet or on Your Knees' also has some scorching rockers, I like this one especially:
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 08:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ yeah the shear awesomeness of Golden Age of Leather and Nosferatu raise the level of Spectres to greatness.  The rest of songs are good enough to keep it there.. ie no junk to bring it down.  though Goin' Through the Motions walked a fine line of doing that. Not bad.. just not the very good you expect and they delivered on pretty much everything to that point (their first 4 albums. .with no a single damn weak spot)

I got into BOC when 'Some Enchanted Evening'* was released. On subsequently hearing 'Spectres' I found it disappointing by comparison. The versions of Godzilla and (especially) RU Ready 2 Rock on 'Some Enchanted Evening' smoke the studio versions. I don't think it's just because I heard them first.  Similarly I thought the album before 'Fire' - 'Cultasaurus Erectus' was their best 77-86 studio album, but it never gets any love for some reason.

* In the late 70's era of ubiquitous double live albums, 'Some Enchanted Evening' is one release that really should have been a double!

Edited by Braka1 - June 09 2020 at 08:35

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 09:00
Two more classic albums:-

Agents of Fortune (1976)

Mirrors (1979)

Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 12:54
I remember an interview with BOC in 1980 when Cultosaurus was released, and the band said they hated 'Mirrors' so much they were using copies of it as frisbees.  It wasn't that bad.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 13:12
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

I remember an interview with BOC in 1980 when Cultosaurus was released, and the band said they hated 'Mirrors' so much they were using copies of it as frisbees.  It wasn't that bad.

I gave it an attentive listen yesterday and it's definitely their most mellow work.
Some of them are good but some...well, others have done it much better
I'm not a big metal or hard rock fan so am a bit biased but I think they did their best work in the confluence of those styles with a more melodic rock slant, and that is basically most of Fire of Unknown Origin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 13:44

no it wasn't bad..honestly... BOC simply did not make bad albums... but the production of it they did detest. it was the first album they did without Sandy producing it and they didn't like the overly polished sound of it so they went more to their classic sound with Cultosaurus.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 13:54
^^ I love the "Mirrors" album. It's Blue Oyster Cult's "Club Ninja" album which I thought was most disappointing of all.
Here's the next available full album in the sequence.....
Fire of Unknown Origin (1981)

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 14:04
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^^ I love the "Mirrors" album. It's Blue Oyster Cult's "Club Ninja" album which I thought was most disappointing of all.
Here's the next available full album in the sequence.....
Fire of Unknown Origin (1981)

disappointed.. what did one expect of it..   Secret Treaties???  It was much like the vast majority of their post FOUO albums...  none bad. again. BOC DID NOT MAKE BAD ALBUMS.. they were that good a band

perhaps none were truly great.. but all contained really good songs..even great pnes. When the War Comes for example..  classic BOC.. a f'ing great song... and Dancing in the Ruins has always been a favorite of mine.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 14:10
"Imaginos"  is by far my favourite Blue Oyster Cult album, which is surprising, considering it's a late-1980's album released long after their classic early era. Thumbs Up
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 14:12
None of BOC's albums is even remotely bad. Even when they took a more AOR turn, they managed to sound vastly different from other bands lumped under the same umbrella. For one thing, they did not have the stereotypical, soaring-tenor vocals (think Steve Perry or Lou Gramm), and their lyrical matter was always edgy and intriguing. Club Ninja's final three songs are excellent, and The Revolution by Night also has quite a few gems, such as "Shadow of California". As for Cultosaurus Erectus, the first three songs are simply killer, though the rest of the album is not quite on a par with them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 15:14
Cult Classics (1994) - Re-recordings of classic Blue Oyster Cult songs

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 15:38
Tyranny and Mutation is my favourite studio album and Some Enchanted Evening my fave live album. Also very fond of Cultisaurus Erectus. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 15:51
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Tyranny and Mutation is my favourite studio album and Some Enchanted Evening my fave live album. Also very fond of Cultisaurus Erectus. 

Unfortunately, none of those three albums are available on YouTube at the moment, but this one is......

The Curse of the Hidden Mirror (2001)

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 16:11
Ermm  wow man.. i need to fire one up after reading that
at times Paul.. I do wonder if you are Pedro's long lost son... perhaps you'll tell me which planet you all came here from... and don't pull a Pedro on me and tell me you don't heavily smoke you some mother nature man..

you do know that even if whole albums may not be.. the individual tracks are..

here..man.. ranked as my #6 blow thy speaker song ever recorded..

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 17:12

Similarly I thought the album before 'Fire' - 'Cultasaurus Erectus' was their best 77-86 studio album, but it never gets any love for some reason.

Easily! It's also better than Revolution by Night and Club Ninja. 

So you must be the other guy who voted for it! Cool! Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 17:19
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

None of BOC's albums is even remotely bad. Even when they took a more AOR turn, they managed to sound vastly different from other bands lumped under the same umbrella. For one thing, they did not have the stereotypical, soaring-tenor vocals (think Steve Perry or Lou Gramm), and their lyrical matter was always edgy and intriguing. Club Ninja's final three songs are excellent, and The Revolution by Night also has quite a few gems, such as "Shadow of California". 

A big ditto from me on all these points! "Take Me Away" should have been a humongous hit, and "Shadow of California" is superb.

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As for Cultosaurus Erectus, the first three songs are simply killer, though the rest of the album is not quite on a par with them.

Here I must disagree, as "The Marshall Plan," "Lips in the Hills" and "Unknown Tongue," all on Side B, are songs I like a lot. I love the whole album.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 17:26
LMAO!!!

indeed darling.. ok.. we've well established this group ruled and had so SO many great songs.

but let's flip this..

what.. in everyone's opinion.. is the WORST song BOC ever did.

to me.. and her.. there is only one option.. but curious as to what others think.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 02:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

no it wasn't bad..honestly... BOC simply did not make bad albums... but the production of it they did detest. it was the first album they did without Sandy producing it and they didn't like the overly polished sound of it so they went more to their classic sound with Cultosaurus.

Yes, I'll go along with that.  But it was Martin Birch, wasn't it? It's not like his production style was unexpected.

It had a very clean style, which made the proggy-metal tracks like 'The Vigil' sound very BIG, but there were a couple of tracks (e.g. 'In thee') that just sounded MOR.  Mind you, that song would have been MOR if it'd been recorded on a mono cassette deck in someone's garage.

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 08:45
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

"Imaginos"  is by far my favourite Blue Oyster Cult album, which is surprising, considering it's a late-1980's album released long after their classic early era. Thumbs Up
It might be appropriate if I repost this interesting video about it, which I also posted in the 'What are you listening' thread a while back:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>