Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll #4 - Sometimes They Come Back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: Pick the three you like best!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [12.82%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [17.95%]
2 [5.13%]
4 [10.26%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.13%]
2 [5.13%]
4 [10.26%]
4 [10.26%]
1 [2.56%]
2 [5.13%]
2 [5.13%]
4 [10.26%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll #4 - Sometimes They Come Back
    Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:10
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

You'll get that. Wink I think I start mid-week, one week from the current one. In the meantime, whoever still wants to vote here, even if you haven't submitted a song, please do!

That's a good point. You don't need to post a song to participate in voting. I only voted in the first one. More voting and commenting the better.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 13:53

You'll get that. Wink I think I start mid-week, one week from the current one. In the meantime, whoever still wants to vote here, even if you haven't submitted a song, please do!

Thumbs Up color me very curious as to what you have up your sleeve...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 01:22

I can do the next one, but if you let me do it, you'll have a theme.
My voting takes times again, as always. Just half way through.

Here's the piece that I missed!

Ok!
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 01:20
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 01:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

hell.. is that everyone's votes in.. think it was.

Lorenzo.. may be no need to sit on this poll for that long.. much less all the way till next weekend. 

What say thee to a different kind of poll.. try one with a theme.. see it is works.. if so great.. if not. .. we'll flog the offender and go back to free form. I like the idea.. what say thee.. say it man.... say it loud and proud.. Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

Ok, the next Interactive Poll will have a theme...

What about music with Latin American influences?

great.. and in case you missed it. Lewian asked if we were to do a theme he'd like to start it. I think he means to surprise us with one LOL.  Besides ..  nothing says disrespect more than flogging a man at his own damned BBQ. 

IMO.. this could be a really neat idea.. or a really bad one. A theme IMO needs to have a light touch.. if people have to think too hard.. it can quickly lose the fun.  I had an idea myself in mind which I think would have fit that.. but I'll sit on it and hold the whip with an evil glean in my eye. Unfortunately for you all.. as the admin team learned long ago.. I only give satanic redheads permission to flog me.

Oh yes, I missed the piece where Lewian proposed to set up a new poll with a theme. It's fine! I had already asked Christian in private to participate in the opening of new interactive polls. So, start whenever you want Christian. Give us a surprise.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 20:29

Lorenzo.. may be no need to sit on this poll for that long.. much less all the way till next weekend. 

What say thee to a different kind of poll.. try one with a theme.. see it is works.. if so great.. if not. .. we'll flog the offender and go back to free form. I like the idea.. what say thee.. say it man.... say it loud and proud.. Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

great.. and in case you missed it. Lewian asked if we were to do a theme he'd like to start it. I think he means to surprise us with one LOL.  Besides ..  nothing says disrespect more than flogging a man at his own damned BBQ. 

IMO.. this could be a really neat idea.. or a really bad one. A theme IMO needs to have a light touch.. if people have to think too hard.. it can quickly lose the fun.  I had an idea myself in mind which I think would have fit that.. but I'll sit on it and hold the whip with an evil glean in my eye. Unfortunately for you all.. as the admin team learned long ago.. I only give satanic redheads permission to flog me.

Edited by micky - June 07 2020 at 20:32
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 19:40
Sounds like a good theme to me! 
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 19:18

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 18:12

I have the Unearthed box set and love it.  You picked a great one though, one of my favorites and there are so many great performances in that set.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 17:03
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

2. Johnny Cash singing Nick Cave.  That song is perfect for Cash, and it is quite amazing how he was able to make so many songs his own when he covered them.  For example, his cover of "Rusty Cage" (originally by Soundgarden) is quite amazing.  It gives the song a whole new life.

The 6 discs of the American Recordings series are wonderful. The fabulous interpretations of Johnny Cash are really many. And the Unearthed box also contains many precious gems. So I was very undecided about which song to choose. I had thought of Rusty Cage, but I feared it was too well known, as was Hurt. 

So I made a selection from a dozen songs and in the end there were Nick Cave's The Mercy Seat and the traditional Danny Boy. The Mercy Seat is characterized by its arrangement on the keyboards that allows a wonderful ending, with a keyboard with a suond similar to the harpsichord that makes the high notes and two (I think) pianos in the background that are played in a very percussive way and create a threatening and pressing atmosphere, with poorly defined outlines. The competitor, however, is a night song, only voice and organ, to be listened to at night in the dark. Johnny Cash's voice seems to come from infinite distances, from the sky itself, and when it goes on high notes ... try to hear ...

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 16:58

3) Holger Hiller. I've realized that this a form of dance music! Yes this is disco dance music, it is experimental music with a completely commercial format. Realized this, he gained a point, because before I thought that music was missing, and while continuing to think that this creativity and this experimentalism could be put at the service of a strong musical idea, to become a small masterpiece song, this song conquered the podium, slightly overtaking the Danish bard.

Very nice discussion, thanks! In fact most of Hiller's work is very minimalist in the sense that he "composes" his ideas just to the point that the intended music becomes perceivable, maybe even only as a skeleton, and then no further. You could say it just reaches the border of something musical (stopping short in the perception of many, going far enough and then some for me, but I'm not a typical listener). And yes, there was an audience around that he served, in certain clubs, and surely they'd have danced. He never made it big but could survive OK. 

Edited by Lewian - June 07 2020 at 17:00
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 16:38
After listening to the podium candidates once again,

Here's to you my Top 3:

1) Ricky Lee Jones. Little masterpiece. Brilliant and melancholic ballad. Great vocal performance, and wonderful arrangement.

2) Jellyfish: very pleasent commercial song.

3) Holger Hiller. I've realized that this a form of dance music! Yes this is disco dance music, it is experimental music with a completely commercial format. Realized this, he gained a point, because before I thought that music was missing, and while continuing to think that this creativity and this experimentalism could be put at the service of a strong musical idea, to become a small masterpiece song, this song conquered the podium, slightly overtaking the Danish bard.

------

4) Sebastian

5) Jano Brindisi

6) Grizzly Bear

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 07 2020 at 16:44
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 16:28
Cake: interesting sound, almost hard-rap music. Nice guitar riff. But it is not a genre that excites me.

Parliament: again we are in the field of funky, a very psychedelic funky that takes on a dance rhythm with a hashish cigarette incorporated in the reggae style ... very invanate, but more to get high than to listen. 

JJ Gray and Mofro. Live song with recited voice for most of the time, very refined with a nice musical ending with guitar solo. But it didn't hit me. 

Avatarium: almost ambient song, very slowed down, reaching climax in the end with space guitars. It didn't convince me. 

Holger Hiller: completely experimental song based solely on rhythmic sequences obtained with various types of objects. Composition based on percussions, and on the timbre of percussions, the musical score has nothing to do with the melody but only with the sequence of rhythms and timbres. Great creativity even if to take flight, in my opinion, this experimentalism should then be functional to music, that is, the percussive experiment should then be an instrument for making music, while here it ends as it begins, which makes it look like an exercise of style, excellent exercise in style, both clear, original and creative, but music is missing. I dont know.

Ricky Lee Jones: piano ballad, splendid vocal performance, excellent ending. Candidate to podium

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 15:58

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 15:45
I think you nailed exactly why Holger narrowly edged Sebastian for my 3rd vote.. perhaps I haven't heard enough Danish in that context. .where the language .. the singer is primary. Loved the arrangement as I noted.. but the shear audacity of what Holger and the tossed beer can was enough to edge him out..
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 15:33
Narrowly beaten:
Grizzly Bear: Has a somehow lame start but gets going big time. Ultimately it's a good song, but I like the original version more (would probably have been top 3). It sounds as if McDonald tries to show a bit too much to say thank you for the invitation, and I don't like his voice that much.
Parliament: Now that's not my kind of music by any stretch, but it surely made me smile.
Cake: Very sharp, I like this. Ultimately it hasn't gone the distance that well; at the end I thought they could've made more of the second half. Still good but narrowly didn't make the cut.

And the winners are...
Johnny Cash: I needed three attempts to get how good it is, before I saw it on rank 4 or 5. But ultimately he absolutely has the voice for this kind of thing, and composition and arrangement rule.
Rickie Lee Jones: The surprise of the bunch. Started like the kind of pop song that bores me to death, but developed into a very intricate composition. Well done!
Sebastian: Actually I have my problems with the "musicality" of the Danish language, but if I ignore that it is just a very delicate song with a truly magical arrangement.

Oh by the way, for me music is 99% about sound and 1% max about lyrics. This time (and usually) my voting comes with the guaranteed quality stamp that there was absolutely zero lyrics influence in it. Ask me what the songs are about after the experience, and I can just about still name Dr Funkenstein, that's it!

Edited by Lewian - June 07 2020 at 15:44
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:51
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

In Italy, when we don't understand a language, we say it's Arabic Wink.

Anyway, we need to ask Ian to contribute to these polls. He's got a great taste in music, and his input would be very valuable. He's recently become a grandfather, and his photo of him - proudly wearing a Motorhead T-shirt and holding his tiny granddaughter in his arms - was one of the nicest things on Facebook for a long time.

Speaking of what, Nickie, I need to send you a friend request there. I don't really post much, but I've seen you around, and know we have at least one mutual friend - the irrepressible Redhead Rick D. from Baltimore.
  Very good, Raff, but do be warned there will be bad puns.  Yes, I regularly notify people to listen to Rick's shows every week.  Good guy with good ears, too.  

I agree, if I "see" Ian in one of my usual places today, I will ask him if he's seen these.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:47
oh I miss Rick in my long self imposed exile from FB.. what a doll he is...
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:41
In Italy, when we don't understand a language, we say it's Arabic Wink.

Anyway, we need to ask Ian to contribute to these polls. He's got a great taste in music, and his input would be very valuable. He's recently become a grandfather, and his photo of him - proudly wearing a Motorhead T-shirt and holding his tiny granddaughter in his arms - was one of the nicest things on Facebook for a long time.

Speaking of what, Nickie, I need to send you a friend request there. I don't really post much, but I've seen you around, and know we have at least one mutual friend - the irrepressible Redhead Rick D. from Baltimore.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:36
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Sebastian - this one has a language barrier for me since I don't speak any French

French?

at least he didn't call it Greek...
When I don't speak a language, isn't it all Greek to me.  LOL

amen to that LOLBeer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>