Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll #4 - Sometimes They Come Back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Poll Question: Pick the three you like best!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [12.82%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [17.95%]
2 [5.13%]
4 [10.26%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.13%]
2 [5.13%]
4 [10.26%]
4 [10.26%]
1 [2.56%]
2 [5.13%]
2 [5.13%]
4 [10.26%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 17:29
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Avarartium...  I do normally love female vocals.. but unfortunately there is one style i detest. and that one hit it.  Pretty good musically though

the band is called Avatarium, it's a female fronted doom metal band from Sweden. I don't know why I chose one of their more mellow songs, they're usually heavier. 

Dare I ask what's wrong with her singing?

I wish you'd try other songs and tell me what you think. 

you know.. I think it was more I thought her singing didn't fit the song if that makes any sense.  Perhaps it would fit a more heavier aggressive style. 

pick one for me.. and I'll defintely check it out

I simple youtube search would have done the trick, their debut album is the most interesting if you ask me. Not exactly a beginners band, their main songwriter is also in the famous band Candlemass. 
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 18:35
Part 1:

The Hu - The Great Chinggis Khaan. Metal meets Mongolian throat singing. Not uninteresting, but tbh. it's not so much me. In fact I am very selective when it comes to things related to metal.

A Covenant of Thorns - If the Heavens Should Fall. Gloomy 80's sounding electropop. The singing is a bit Bowie'ish. Absolutely not bad. Not something I normally like to listen to though, but I fully acknowledge its qualities.

Johnny Cash sings Nick Cave - The Mercy Seat. This sends a shiver down my spine, and in the best possible way. Got a vote.

Van Morrison - TB Sheets. I like the bluesy feel, but considering how minimalistic it is, it drags on for a bit too long for my liking. I can understand its appeal though. I've never been a big fan of Van Morrison's singing style.

Grizzly Bear (ft. Michael McDonald) - While You Wait... Alternative rock as I like it. I slightly prefer it in the original version. If I am not mistaken, they just removed the vocal tracks from the original recording and made the other guy sing over it. Interesting song in any case, and a strong contender for my votes.

Edited by The Anders - June 07 2020 at 07:02
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 18:52
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Part 1:

Grizzly Bear (ft. Michael McDonald) - While You Wait... Alternative rock as I like it. I slightly prefer it in the original version. If I am not mistaken, they just removed the vocal tracks from the original recording and made the other guy sing over it. Interesting song in any case, and a strong contender for my votes.

That is probably what they did, but it was the band that wanted McDonald to sing the lead part, and when he agreed to do it, they jumped at the chance.  It ended up being the b-side to the single.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 19:01
Okay problems are ironed out for now, so I'm going to do my top three now while I have a chance.

1. Hu - The Great Chinggis Khan   Loved this the minute I heard it the first time. 
2. Johnny Cash singing Nick Cave.  That song is perfect for Cash, and it is quite amazing how he was able to make so many songs his own when he covered them.  For example, his cover of "Rusty Cage" (originally by Soundgarden) is quite amazing.  It gives the song a whole new life.
3. This one is tough as it could have gone to any one of the entries.  There was so much to love about this round:  Jano Brindisi, Rickie Lee Jones, Jellyfish, Avatarium and Cake, but I have to go with JJ Grey & Mofro.  Once that track got up and going, it drew me right in.  Great vocals and guitar work.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 19:09
Part 2:

Rickie Lee Jones - The Magazine. Quite a lot of maj7add9 chords in it. Piano ballad, and once again we're in the singer/songwriter area. In the 90's thre was a Danish singer called Randi Laubęk who sounded a bit like this.

Holger Hiller - Ohi oh bang bang. This is simply mindblowing. A bit eccentric of course, and that's just what I love about it. It may be far from prog, but it is definitely progressive. I actually made some recordings as a kid that sound a bit like it, but this is considerably more convincing. I have always liked the idea that everything with a sound can make music. This one got one of my votes.

Edited by The Anders - June 07 2020 at 07:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 19:10
So my votes were for:

Johnny Cash
Grizzly Bear
Holger Hiller
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 20:21
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

My votes went to

The Hu
Johnny Cash
Rickie Lee Jones

Following up with some actual thoughts. Didn't have time to really sit down on this during the day. 

Big fan of the Hu and had listened to them earlier in the week, even considering them for a song until the poll came up. I also had a Nine Treasures song in mind. They are a similar band, but more metal in their brand of Mongolian folk metal. So, voted on the Hu though I am familiar with them. I do recommend them live. The show I went to was a sold out club, packed with around 300 people. 

And Johnny Cash could sing just about anything. He could rattle off COVID-19 shelter in place guidelines to a tune and make it sound good. (And agree with TCat, I really like his cover of Rusty Cage. Makes the song bad-ass outlaw.)

Rickie Lee Jones choice had something to do with the time of day. I listened off and on to all the selections through the week, with a re-listen this morning, and Rickie and her voice just stood out for a Saturday morning. If it was at night, could have been someone else.

So, a few impressions on some of the tracks. 

I always feel like I should like Jellyfish more than I do. They have elements of bands I like, plays power pop, worships 70's rock, and this track feels like ELO meets Queen, but they just seemed too slick and clever. 

Jano Brindisi - Gorilla Girl would have been a possible late night choice. Listening to it made feel like I should be in a smoky room with cocktail. The imagery and the underlining tone of the guitar was late night for me.

With Holger Hiller, the video kept me listening/watching. Not sure if it would have worked for me without it. It's creative stuff, but it felt like Bobby McFerrin on acid, which could be good for some people, just not me.

The Avatarium track was one in which I felt like it should have just gone bananas at the end after the long slow build. Sure, there was that guitar solo, but I was wanting epic multi-tracked guitars with break-neck speed and banshee-like vocals. 

So, this week's bonus vid is Nine Treasures w/ Liberation (Mongolian metal core band).

The harsh vocals are from Liberation and the clean from Nine Treasures, though the guy from Nine Treasures also does some guttural throat stuff on their own tracks.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 21:14
For a few years, Jano lived upstairs at a well-known club in Santa Cruz, CA, The Catalyst.  Neil Young will use it for shows he announces a few hours in advance to do pre-tour shows in, as it's just down the road from Broken Arrow Ranch, and also close to San Francisco.  So interesting you got the smoke-filled room with cocktails.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 21:35
I have heard of the Catalyst and passed by it, but never went to a show there. My ex-wife grew up in Woodside and was neighbors with Neil. They shared a common stalker at one time. A guy was stalking Neil and decided he also liked the nearby teenage girl.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 21:39
Wow,a coinkydink! Will listen to your bonus when I'm not using my phone to post, btw.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:04
I remember I went to see Bob Dylan at the Shoreline Ampitheater like 89 or 90, and toward the end, a guy gets on stage and is playing guitar and we think it's Neil Young. The guitar sounded like it was Neil, and he had long hair and was hunched over like Neil, but since he never turned around and faced the audience through two songs, we weren't certain. At the end he walked off and it sounded like Dylan said it was Neil Young. But we weren't sure since it was Dylan talking.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:49
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I remember I went to see Bob Dylan at the Shoreline Ampitheater like 89 or 90, and toward the end, a guy gets on stage and is playing guitar and we think it's Neil Young. The guitar sounded like it was Neil, and he had long hair and was hunched over like Neil, but since he never turned around and faced the audience through two songs, we weren't certain. At the end he walked off and it sounded like Dylan said it was Neil Young. But we weren't sure since it was Dylan talking.
  I will bet it was.  Neil has a pretty distinctive guitar style, if you thought it was him, it probably was.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 04:30

Part 1:

The Hu - The Great Chinggis Khaan. Metal meets Mongolian throat singing. Not uninteresting, but tbh. it's not so much me. In fact I am very selective when it comes to things related to metal.

A Covenant of Thorns - If the Heavens Should Fall. Gloomy 80's sounding electropop. The singing is a bit Bowie'ish. Absolutely not bad. Not something I normally like to listen to though, but I fully acknowledge its qualities.

Johnny Cash sings Nick Cave - The Mercy Seat. This sends a shiver down my spine, and in the best possible way. Got a vote.

Van Morrison - TB Sheets. I like the bluesy feel, but for that type of minimalistic music it drags on for a bit too long for my liking. I can understand its appeal though. I've never been a big fan of Van Morrison's singing style.

I agree with a lot of things written by The Anders.

I add: 

- The HU: very good music but I dont like the vocals. 

- A Covenant of Thorns: good electronic music but the electronic percussions are not for me. 

- Van Morrison: I love his voice and his vocals, but here the composition is too simple and repetitive. 

- Grizzly Bear: agree with the Anders in toto. A candidate? 

- Jano Brindisi agree again with the Anders. Possible candidate for my Top 3. 

- Jellyfish: The Anders has heard music similar to Toto: wow, the same for me. He will probably go on the podium. I like it. 

- Sebastian: Dear friend, this is a true French chansonnier-style singer-songwriter, like Brel or Brassens!

Melancholic, a bit boring too, but a deliberate, refined boredom .. ... He can aspire to the podium.

Now the second part of the list.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 05:34
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

and definitely did me...

come on... I voted for the damn song.. give us more. That is part of the fun of this... the followups..

Just as a taster, I was just ironing and listening to this:
https://frameworkeditions.bandcamp.com/album/framework250
Now that's field recordings and some would argue it isn't even meant to be music. But I'm listening to it as music and I'm sure i'm not alone. Musical softie that I am, I like the bits more that have some music-like structure, be it rhythm or something else, but my bar for this isn't really very high.  Cool

you know.. I got tied up last night LOLEmbarrassed and didnt' get a chance to listen to this but have been while enjoying a pot of Raff coffee.. and ...

I really dig this..  this wasn't Saturday night sack and pillage music (much as I love that) but Sunday morning birds chirping outside and peace and quite kind of music.  I dig it man... very Battiato like.. and you know how much I love his stuff.

Edited by micky - June 07 2020 at 05:38
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 06:54
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

- Sebastian: Dear friend, this is a true French chansonnier-style singer-songwriter, like Brel or Brassens!

Never thought of that, but I can see what you mean. He actually started as a sort of hippie'ish folk rock artist: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RNX9VYByyBY
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 07:01

and definitely did me...

come on... I voted for the damn song.. give us more. That is part of the fun of this... the followups..

Now that's field recordings and some would argue it isn't even meant to be music. But I'm listening to it as music and I'm sure i'm not alone. Musical softie that I am, I like the bits more that have some music-like structure, be it rhythm or something else, but my bar for this isn't really very high.  Cool

you know.. I got tied up last night LOLEmbarrassed and didnt' get a chance to listen to this but have been while enjoying a pot of Raff coffee.. and ...

I really dig this..  this wasn't Saturday night sack and pillage music (much as I love that) but Sunday morning birds chirping outside and peace and quite kind of music.  I dig it man... very Battiato like.. and you know how much I love his stuff.

Good to hear! I love (and support) Framework Radio and it has 716 shows online, that's 716 hours of field recordings. I never run out of stuff when I feel like I need this!
http://www.frameworkradio.net/
(BTW it was your earlier avatar that turned me to Battiato.)

Edited by Lewian - June 07 2020 at 07:16
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 07:24

Sebastian - Sangen om Vandhjulet (Die Ballade vom Wasserrad, The Ballad of the Millwheel)

This guy must be the twin brother of Edgar Froese!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 07:56
OK, just voted! As I said yesterday, I didn't find it very easy to relate to most of the songs this time around. This doesn't mean they were not good - it's just a question of personal taste. Anyway, I did get to choosing my top 3. Here they are

1. Van Morrison - TB Sheets (the only song besides mine I was already familiar with)
2. Rickie Lee Jones - The Magazine
3. Grizzly Bear - While You Wait...

Jano Brindisi and Jellyfish were also interesting, as was (in its own twisted way) the Holger Hiller number.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 07:59
I'll listen and vote tonight, or else tomorrow. I didn't feel like doing critical listening yesterday.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 08:07

and definitely did me...

Good to hear! I love (and support) Framework Radio and it has 716 shows online, that's 716 hours of field recordings. I never run out of stuff when I feel like I need this!
(BTW it was your earlier avatar that turned me to Battiato.)

dear God..  wow..  I bet you do not Shocked Yeah, I did make it my crusade to try to expose people to him and was quite militant about it. Actually badgered and cajoled many of my fellow collabs to listen and review him. LOL 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>