6 [17.14%]
1 [2.86%]
6 [17.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 01:38
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Return to Forever and Mahavishnu Orchestra get compared often when talking about fusion groups to listen to.
...and yet they are nothing alike.

Imagine being told this, checking out RTF and thinking “not my cuppa” and never bothering with Mahavishnu
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 02:38
1. Yes/Genesis (especially from 1970 - 1973)
2. Beefheart/Zappa (no brainer IMHO)

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 05:23
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Disclaimer: I don't believe they sound remotely like one another. Many folks seem to think Genesis and Marillion sound similar

Mmmmhhhh!!!!... Marillion only really sounds like Genesis until Script (included)... Nut it's clear that untim Chilhood or Straws, they were looking in that direction

I would compare Genesis with Sock's Beard: frontman lzaving or ousted and drummer comming from behind the drumm to take over.

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

ELP and Triumvirat
Yup...This

original ridicule and cloned ridicule?? TongueEvil SmileClownPig

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Return to Forever and Mahavishnu Orchestra get compared often when talking about fusion groups to listen to.
Imagine being told this, checking out RTF and thinking “not my cuppa” and never bothering with Mahavishnu

Mmmhh!!!!...Unhappy Both bands being lead by a religious Censoreddictator jazzman,Stern Smile Nukepushing his crap beliefs onto his bandmates??Disapprove DeadThumbs Down

Musically, they're not that far apart either. Geek

Eleventh House and Weather Reports are musically much further away, IMHO
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 06:06
Interesting and informative discussion so far man. Right on.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 08:43
Hi,

What a strange poll ... Tongue 

I would think that The Moody Blues would be lumped with Barclay James Harvest, and you can include "Poor Man's Moody Blues" as a title song!

The rest of the choices are ... silly ... for me ... I'm not sure there is a single band that can stand close to GG.

Ohhh .. thought another one ... some KC copies in the earlier days of Anekdotten and that other band at the time. 

But, I, personally, don't like to compare things like that ... the definition of "ART" pretty much means that a band would create their own path and no one else could ... and I stand with AD2, Can, Faust, PFM, Banco,  Ange, FZ, GD ... and the many bands that did not copy anyone because they didn't need to ... they knew what they were doing and sounding like someone else was not what they were interested in!

Edited by moshkito - June 06 2020 at 08:45
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 10:36
Van der Graaf Generator have been compared to King Crimson, particularly for the darkness of their music.
It's worth noting that artists can also be contrasted to each other. For example, I've seen A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers described as the antithesis of Supper's Ready. I've also seen Van der Graaf Generator, in particular Pawn Hearts, described as being for people to whom Gentle Giant is not out-there enough.
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

What a strange poll ... Tongue 

I would think that The Moody Blues would be lumped with Barclay James Harvest, and you can include "Poor Man's Moody Blues" as a title song!

The rest of the choices are ... silly ... for me ... I'm not sure there is a single band that can stand close to GG.

Ohhh .. thought another one ... some KC copies in the earlier days of Anekdotten and that other band at the time. 

But, I, personally, don't like to compare things like that ... the definition of "ART" pretty much means that a band would create their own path and no one else could ... and I stand with AD2, Can, Faust, PFM, Banco,  Ange, FZ, GD ... and the many bands that did not copy anyone because they didn't need to ... they knew what they were doing and sounding like someone else was not what they were interested in!

Hi,

You can think the poll is strange and the choices are silly all you want but it has generated an interesting discussion that I'm actually learning a lot from, so esta bien. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 14:05
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I agree. But they are often "compared" in a discussion of fusion, as are fusion-era Miles Davis and Mwandishi/Headhunters-era Herbie Hancock.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 00:44
Other

Gentle Giant and PFM

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 06:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Other

Gentle Giant and PFM

Hi,

I always thought that PFM's vocals were more "classical" than they were "modern" like GG's vocals were. GG's vocals remind me of a lot of the classical music that was going around, where the idea was strictly odd anything they could get their fingers and mouths on ... however, I really think that GG's biggest point was using these within a rock context, since no one had really done anything remotely as close to it. It could also be said that some of PFM's vocals were also much more lyrical and aligned with strands of pop music, something which was/is huge in Italy.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 06:36
I've never heard people compare Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree, very different bands IMO.

What about The Beatles and the Stones? The mainstream music media even invented some conflicts between the two bands, probably to sell more magazines, rather lame if you ask me. I remember talking about this with my older brother, he preferred the Stones to the Beatles (although he loved Abbey Road a lot) and I preferred the Beatles to the Stones. LOL
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:14
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Other

Gentle Giant and PFM

Hi,

I always thought that PFM's vocals were more "classical" than they were "modern" like GG's vocals were. GG's vocals remind me of a lot of the classical music that was going around, where the idea was strictly odd anything they could get their fingers and mouths on ... however, I really think that GG's biggest point was using these within a rock context, since no one had really done anything remotely as close to it. It could also be said that some of PFM's vocals were also much more lyrical and aligned with strands of pop music, something which was/is huge in Italy.

I would say GG employs more baroque techniques than modern. Especially in those vocal passages. Well, I suppose I hear a lot in GG, maybe some modern and romantic era included :). PFM I mostly hear the romantic influence.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 12:32
Dave Kerzner and pink floyd anybody?
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:08
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I've never heard people compare Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree, very different bands IMO.

What about The Beatles and the Stones? The mainstream music media even invented some conflicts between the two bands, probably to sell more magazines, rather lame if you ask me. I remember talking about this with my older brother, he preferred the Stones to the Beatles (although he loved Abbey Road a lot) and I preferred the Beatles to the Stones. LOL

Well yeah, those are probably the two bands most compared to each other in history I would think. And in that case I'll also mention Journey and Foreigner. They are often compared with each other, and have even often toured together. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:14
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Dave Kerzner and pink floyd anybody?

How about Eloy and Pink Floyd? Or even Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd. I'm actually not very familiar with DK so I can't comment.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:50
No Starcastle comments yet?
The Prog Corner
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 16:26
I think the Prog-Rock band ENGLAND are most often compared to YES, but that's mostly by me. Smile

In the poll, I'd probably go with Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart, as they're both a bit offbeat and off the wall. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 08 2020 at 16:29
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 16:31
I think we're still misinterpreting this. It's what bands are often part of a "which is better" or "is more representative of a quintessential sound" comparison. Starcastle would rarely ever win in that battle against Yes for most people under this scenario. Can their sound be compared based on similarities? Yes, absolutely. But no one would ask "who better represents," say, "symphonic prog better, Yes or SC?" Yes has had more of an impact, has way more albums, and clearly directly influenced SC. You may like SC more, but would you recommend them a newcomer to prog? Would you list them as a band that someone may know when trying to describe the classic prog era? No. Genesis and Yes will come up every time (along with KC, Rush, and usually PF).

At least, that's what I think the prompt was clarified as by the OP later in the thread.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 19:35
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

No Starcastle comments yet?

You beat me to it!!  LOL!! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 06:08

I would say GG employs more baroque techniques than modern. Especially in those vocal passages. Well, I suppose I hear a lot in GG, maybe some modern and romantic era included :). PFM I mostly hear the romantic influence.

Agreed ... for both Banco and PFM the word "romantic" probably fits a lot better than "progressive" ... 

The last album by BANCO is specially good in this area ... it's a shame that Vittorio's version is not heard more and given more attention ... I would almost say it is spectacular!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>