Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can anyone identify this song?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontget2close Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can anyone identify this song?
    Posted: June 06 2020 at 21:03
Hi, never posted here before. A post on reddit has me going mad trying to figure out what this song is. Apparently it was recorded from a prog radio station in the 70s. Audio quality is poor, but the lyrics are able to be made out. The song is reminiscent of George Harrison/ELO/America songs. Please help! A lyric search yields nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7hlEF4UIQ

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 21:24
I have no idea. I tried using my shazam app but nothing came up(probably because of the poor sound quality). My guess would be it's a song from between 71 and 74. I have no idea exactly who it might be though.

This kind of reminds me of my failed attempt to figure out a song from the late 80's(sounds like it anyway) or so with the lyrics "call for a revolution.....call for a holiday.....of love." I searched lyrics online asked on various websites and still nothing. If I ever find the cassette that had that on it I will try shazam with that too. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 06 2020 at 21:26
dontget2close View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontget2close Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 21:58
Thanks for the help anyway! Personally, I've never had luck with Shazam for any song! Lol
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 01:13
I don't know. The voice sounds like R.E.M, but I've got an impression of Caravan in the last seconds. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 03:06
I’ve got nothing. Sounds like the first 50 rock bands from the 70s
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 06:10
Hi,

Hmmm ... would have liked to hear some more, but it could be BREAD.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 08:18
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:16
Sounds like Bread or Tom Powers or Andrew Gold ("Lonely Boy").
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:34
It sounds familiar and along the lines of a thousand other songs I have heard from the 70s, but I am not familiar with it. I would like to hear more it, like Moshkito. Bread eventually worked very hard to get out of the soft rock niche that made them so successful, but with limited results.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:48
The voice at the end sounds very much like Harry Nilsson. Nilsson was friends with George Harrison who played slide guitar on at least one of Nilsson's songs that I recall. But I still can't place this exact song.

Definitely not Bread, even though it's a similar style. Not Looking Glass. 

It's obviously not anything related to progressive rock either. 
dontget2close View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontget2close Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 12:04
It definitely is reminiscent of Nilsson! Judging by the lyrics alone (or what I can hear, anyway), I'd venture to guess that the song was called "Part of it All." That my best guess anyway.
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 12:10
I would be very surprised if it weren't titled "Part of It All." There was an obscure early-70s group called Stylus who had an album and track by that name, but they were too jazzy for this to be them.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:16
I have no idea.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 15:31
I know this isn't it but I figured since Bread was mentioned and since this is a prog forum I'm wondering if anyone knows about this proggy track from David Gates(from Bread)? 

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 16:15
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I know this isn't it but I figured since Bread was mentioned and since this is a prog forum I'm wondering if anyone knows about this proggy track from David Gates(from Bread)? 

love that song...the album its on also has another great song, "Do you believe he's coming" with a pretty impressive guitar solo at the end that cleverly reprises the theme of "Suite Clouds and Rain".  Both got a LOT of airplay on the prog oriented station at the time
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 17:59
dear God.. these threads have killed as many brain cells as repeated listens to Genesis albums...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 18:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

dear God.. these threads have killed as many brain cells as repeated listens to Genesis albums...

Hi,

.... and woke you up?

LOL
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply