Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Electric Ladyland vs The Beatles (The White Album)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Ladyland vs The Beatles (The White Album)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [45.83%]
26 [54.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 02:16
I can't decide; both are great and definitely my favorite albums from these artists

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 03:04
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Two more albums I’ve never heard !!

+1LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 06:14
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

two words.

Revolution #9

Hi,

+1

I like Jimi a lot, however, I think that asking him to do "blues" and not letting him branch out as it was likely that he would and wildly so, was a shame. And still is ... the family won't release anything that is not blues related or closer to the single/hit material.

(Updated and the rest removed ... not intended to create friction or bad comments.)

Edited by moshkito - June 11 2020 at 07:50
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 06:33
White album. But if you put it up against Are You Experienced it would have been all Jimi.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 08:42
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Although a double album, it's pretty hard for Jimi to compete against three Beatles solo albums (McCartney, Lennon and Harrison) in the fractured White Album. Actually I'll take Electric Ladyland over the Paul McCartney solo album in the White Album, but have the John Lennon and George Harrison solo albums contained in the White Album ahead of Electric Ladyland.

Uh?? Confused

Never heard this before... but I'm curious

Could you break down the White Album tracks according "the solo artistes albums" please?

============================

here below in bold are the songs I really like and the rest are the ones that I just like.
  • A1 Back in the U.S.S.R. 2:45
  • A2 Dear Prudence 4:00
  • A4 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da 3:10
  • A7 While My Guitar Gently Weeps 4:46
  • A8 Happiness Is a Warm Gun 2:47
  • B5 Rocky Raccoon 3:33
  • C2 Yer Blues 4:01
  • C6 Helter Skelter 4:30
  • D1 Revolution 1 4:13

Even Noel Redding's track (he sings on it too) is great, IMHO.

Edited by Sean Trane - June 09 2020 at 08:43
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 11:57
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Although a double album, it's pretty hard for Jimi to compete against three Beatles solo albums (McCartney, Lennon and Harrison) in the fractured White Album. Actually I'll take Electric Ladyland over the Paul McCartney solo album in the White Album, but have the John Lennon and George Harrison solo albums contained in the White Album ahead of Electric Ladyland.

Uh?? Confused

Never heard this before... but I'm curious

Could you break down the White Album tracks according "the solo artistes albums" please?

============================

here below in bold are the songs I really like and the rest are the ones that I just like.
  • A1 Back in the U.S.S.R. 2:45
  • A2 Dear Prudence 4:00
  • A4 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da 3:10
  • A7 While My Guitar Gently Weeps 4:46
  • A8 Happiness Is a Warm Gun 2:47
  • B5 Rocky Raccoon 3:33
  • C2 Yer Blues 4:01
  • C6 Helter Skelter 4:30
  • D1 Revolution 1 4:13

Even Noel Redding's track (he sings on it too) is great, IMHO.

you don't like a wonderful song like "Julia"? my favorite from this album

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 13:07
The Beatles is a compendium of contemporary pop and rock and avant-garde music.

Electric Ladyland is a very good album of hard - rockblues music. More serious and more homogeneous the the White Album but less universal, less historical.

So, The Beatles
"Happiness is real only when shared"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 13:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

two words.

Revolution #9

Hi,

+1

I like Jimi a lot, however, I think that someone forcing him to do "blues" and not letting him branch out as it was likely that he would and wildly so, was a shame. And still is ... the family won't release anything that is not blues related or closer to the single/hit material.

Just as an example of how good he could be, there is in one of the Beatles bootlegs a song with Jimi ... and let me tell you, that if he had been able to get more music like that, he would have made Steve Howe, and any of the other "gueetar" folks in "progressive" look like school kids! Maybe not RF, but who knows ... 

Things like the National Anthem, eventually gave way to the likes of Terje Rypdal and his experiments with jazzy stuff, and then chamber music ... not a single person here has EVER heard EOS and commented on the prettiest "chamber music" that Jimi would have done with his eyes closed ... augmented by a real bass player (David Darling) instead of another cookie crumbleer rock'n'roller! Electric Guitar doing CHAMBER MUSIC ... the kind of thing that PA doesn't have ears for sometimes!

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 14:52
Gimme Hendrix!!

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da ruins absolutely everything, its a Horrendous piece and i enjoy a lot Helter Skelter and Revolution
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 00:23
No need to make another poll of these artists whose people like the most. I believe voting would have come like this:
1. The Beatles
2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3. The Who.

Although Who won the first album poll Hendrix vs the Who, difference between votes is much smaller than in those live albums. Anyway to me order is upside down although at the moment really hard to say which is better, Hendrix or the Who.

Edited by Mortte - June 10 2020 at 00:24
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 02:24
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

you don't like a wonderful song like "Julia"? my favorite from this album

hey JeanSmile,

I much prefer Pavolv's Dog's version TongueWinkLOL

This said, I was always taken a bit aback by the rough state of some of these songs on White Album, as if they were still demo tapes (Birthday for ex)

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 02:37

I like Jimi a lot, however, I think that someone forcing him to do "blues" and not letting him branch out as it was likely that he would and wildly so, was a shame. And still is ... the family won't release anything that is not blues related or closer to the single/hit material.

Confused

This has got to be one of the strangest comments I've ever heard...
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 02:40
The White Album has a few stinkers in it but the rest is pure gold. I don't know... a tie maybe?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 03:37

Well, Harrison only has enough songs for half a solo album and Starr can't even muster up a solo single.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 04:26
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well, Harrison only has enough songs for half a solo album and Starr can't even muster up a solo single.

Harry Georgeson (one of his alias) had two solo albums during The Beatles' tenure and released a triple album straight out of the solo starting blocks. Which means he had a lot of them stacked up.

But yeah, I agree with you in general and posted so that I'd like to see the poster's breakdown of The White Album to justify his post.

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 04:32

Yeah, but what a half: While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Piggies, Long, Long , Long and Savoy Truffle. He would have had more if only Paul McCartney wasn't hogging the album.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 05:48

Yeah, but what a half: While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Piggies, Long, Long , Long and Savoy Truffle. He would have had more if only Paul McCartney wasn't hogging the album.
Yes, and as Sean says, he had enough material stacked up to release a solo triple album that eclipsed those from Lennon and McCartney imo.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 09:26
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I like Jimi a lot, however, I think that asking him to do "blues" and not letting him branch out as it was likely that he would and wildly so, was a shame. And still is ... the family won't release anything that is not blues related or closer to the single/hit material.

Confused

Hi,

Of course it is ... and intended to be so!

(Updated and cleaned as it was not clear what I wanted to say)

Tongue

Edited by moshkito - June 11 2020 at 07:51
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 10:31
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Confused

It's Mosh...he has absolutely no clue what he is talking about. In fact, he is completely wrong. Jimi wanted to do more blues, jazz and R&B, and was going into full-fledged funk with a blues base as well (as anyone listening to Band of Gypsys will tell you). What Hendrix did not want to do any longer is white psychedelia and hits like Purple Haze. Hendrix considered Rock too limiting, and he particularly hated the label “psychedelic rock" attached to his work. He was heading into a realm of Afrocentric blues-funk, and blues-jazz. As Miles Davis wrote in his autobiography, “Jimi Hendrix came from the blues, like me."

So Mosh is clueless.

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 10 2020 at 10:33
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 12:10
^ Yes it's actually widely known but not to Mosh...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>