Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where Were You When You First Heard These Albums?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where Were You When You First Heard These Albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where Were You When You First Heard These Albums?
    Posted: June 26 2020 at 14:28
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

My older brother went to university and brought home a cassette tape with Fragile and Meddle on it.

More followed (Tarkus, Thick As A Brick, etc.) and my life was never the same.

The 70s were awesome!!!

So he was a prog fan but didn't know it? Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 14:05
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

By the phrasing of this, I'm assuming you're referring to the older generation who were alive when these albums came out..?

I suppose my, "I was sitting at my computer when I first heard all these albums." comment doesn't really compare to the others lol LOL

Hi,

Even though many of us can tell you some stuff that is not exactly worthy of a lot of ... anything! ... in the end, your reaction and appreciation is no different than mine ... well, I wore jeans a lot then, and some Space Pirate Radio T-shirts ... but nothing else is different.

My experience, is not to make ... yours ... seem unimportant ... mine is an example of how the TIME AND PLACE was so important to me, THEN, and it still has a lot of values associated with me that I stand up for here on this board. Your time is here and now ... just take today's music seriously and 30 or 40 years down the line, you will feel pretty much the same as I do, and tell some youngsters, how to appreciate their art of today, not just the stuff of yesterday ... remember that history of the arts is hundreds and hundreds of years old, and seeing things a bit more artistically, engages your inner mind and self a bit more ... it also makes a lot of the new music you hear sound a bit better or worse ... the only difference for me is that the almighty riff goes down the toilet really quick!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 14:42
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Where were you and what were doing when you first heard these albums: 1) Floyd: Meddle, DSotM, WYWH and Animals. 2) Yes: Fragile, CTTE, TFTO, and Relayer. 3) Genesis: SEbtP, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and A Trick Of The Tail. (more Where Were You? questions to follow.)

CTTE?  I was in the audience at the acoustically-perfect Arie Crown Theater, Chicago IL, Sept. 22, 1972.  Yes was on the Yessongs tour, with a new band, The Eagles, opening.  I had never heard one note from CTTE and went expecting to hear "America," a radio single, which they never played that night.  Imagine my surprise when the sparkle ball started!!  Life-changing moment.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 14:33
My older brother went to university and brought home a cassette tape with Fragile and Meddle on it.

More followed (Tarkus, Thick As A Brick, etc.) and my life was never the same.

The 70s were awesome!!!
The Prog Corner
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 00:25
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Stoned. Somewhere. It was the 70s.....

Ummm....what were we talking about again?
Something along these lines, but late-80’s, usually in the lounge room of the home I grew up in, when everyone was out. I used to ride my bike to the 2nd-hand record shop, buy a few albums, come home, stoke up the bong, and away I’d go, sometimes with mates, sometimes not. I do recall getting a heap of cassettes in Bali, where we went for our annual hols, and I first heard most Yes, Genesis and King Crimson with my Walkman. I still have all those tapes.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 00:09
Genesis albums.

Ooh goody, I have specific memories for all three of these!

Selling England By The Pound:
This may not have been absolutely my first listen, but I think it was more than likely. It was summer, I think between my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college. I'd recently gotten into Genesis in earnest, and Supper's Ready had really sold me on what I was picking up off of Nursery Cryme and Wind And Wuthering. I'd checked out Selling England By The Pound from the library, and I guess I kind of had two first listens. I think I had one before the school year ended sitting in my room where the brooding choir synths on the opener paired very well with a storm brewing outside my desk window in my bedroom. But I have another vivid memory from that summer of sitting around a hotel room with my family and my best friend (who my family had agreed to bring along for this couple day trip to a big theme park hours away) and listening to this album along with Tarkus and The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin. All very weird and synth heavy, which was new to me. I can remember sitting there just being absorbed by all the fantastic, warm and cool keyboard work with my best friend while we talked about what coasters to ride the next day. Excellent time.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway:
I was a full fledged Genesis fan by the time I got this, and it was really the last Genesis album with either Phil or Peter singing I got to. I was adamant about buying this on vinyl for my first listen, and at long last the summer before my junior year of college (which I spent abroad in Italy) I found it for about 16 bucks at my local record store. I came home with my slew of records all excited about finding The Lamb, showed off to my parents, sat down at the computer in the living room (hooked up to my record player for Audacity and sitting on top of the stereo where I plugged in my headphones), put the first record on the turntable, set up my recording software, dropped the needle, and started reading along with the lyrics. I sat that way reading and listening and recording for the full duration of The Lamb, only stopping to flip the records. Despite all my excitement and hype I'd built for it over time, it managed to live up to my expectations, and I was thrilled by the fantastic story.

A Trick Of The Tail:
I got to this one a bit later as well, though not as late as The Lamb. It was around Easter my sophomore year of college. I'd spent an iTunes gift card on a few new albums, this among them. I believe I sat down for my first listen while having lunch in the dining hall next to my dorm, looking out the window at Spring finally just starting to come around. It was a great listen and I listened more over the following days and weeks as I continued to find this was really one of Genesis' best albums.

Here's how I rate these three:
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
A Trick Of The Tail
Selling England By The Pound

Whereas Pink Floyd was more of a high school band for me, and Yes has split themselves pretty evenly between high school and college, getting into Genesis has been more of a collegiate adventure. Though I'm about finished collecting their albums now (I still don't have And Then There Were Three or that last one, nor have I ever heard the last one), Genesis were really the band that got me to dive seriously into prog. Because of Genesis, I revisited Yes and Floyd a bit more often, gave ELP, Tull, and KC a real chance, and found this website where I've discovered quite a treasure trove of amazing music! :)
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 23:48
Yes albums.

Fragile:
Another CD I would've checked out from the library. Being very into Rush my dad recommended Yes as a logical next step, and I took to them pretty quickly. I don't recall an exact location, but it was probably in a car on the way to or from high school around my junior year. I remember of course being confused and mildly unimpressed with many of the short songs (especially Mood For A Day, which having heard The Yes Album seemed like a lesser sequel to The Clap). However, I immediately loved Roundabout (which I'd heard before), Long Distance Runaround, and especially South Side Of The Sky.

Close To The Edge:
Same story, probably a few months later. Except this one I do vaguely recall hearing for the first time in the car with my mom on the way to school. Both of us were confused at the beginning and it did take a listen or two for it to make sense to me, but it clicked pretty quickly after that.

Tales From Topographic Oceans:
Now this is one I don't think I really explored until somewhere around the end of high school or the start of college. It is actually another one I checked out from the library, though at this point I was no longer downloading them onto my iPod. I probably first played it for myself sitting at my computer at home or maybe even at college in my dorm? But probably before that. I do have a strong memory of playing it for my Dad in a hotel room my freshman year of college when his van broke down and we couldn't drive home from my school's town until the next day. It was just over my tinny laptop speakers, but I remember really enjoying that listen and I think my dad did too.

Relayer:
Relayer is a very interesting album for me, as I didn't approach it until I was well into college (probably sophomore year), and though I did check it out from my library, I barely listened to it and didn't have really any reaction to it at all when I did that. A bit later I found the record for very cheap at my local record store and bought it. However again it didn't leave a very lasting impression on me at first, and I somehow failed to ever rip that record into mp3 tracks for my iPod (via Audacity) before my iPod died a few months ago. It's one that's still growing on me, and the first listen was by far the least important or memorable. It seems every time I put this one on I take to it a bit more and a new melody starts to sink in. The first time I heard it though I was very likely in my living room.

Here's how I rank these four:

1. Close To The Edge
2. Fragile
3. Tales From Topographic Oceans
4. Relayer (but as I alluded, this could rise over time)
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 23:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Where were you and what were doing when you first heard these albums: 1) Floyd: Meddle, DSotM, WYWH and Animals. 2) Yes: Fragile, CTTE, TFTO, and Relayer. 3) Genesis: SEbtP, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and A Trick Of The Tail. (more Where Were You? questions to follow.)

Hi,

In three different apartments with my good friend, the Space Pirate! 

DSOTM had a great fun distinction. In rehearsals for Guy Guden's play, DSOTM many times graced the before and after while I set and reset the lights correctly.

1972, I saw the PF Hollywood Bowl show and that was just before I met my room mate and friend. 

Relayer I bought, but after TFTO I was not exactly excited. TFTO still is, for me, a top 3 album if I had to choose them!

Greatest memory still is, the station not knowing which song to play from TLLDOB and Guy goes on the air at midnight and plays the full album, all 4 sides, in a row, and I don't remember if he played it again right after or if it was 2 AM when he played the full album again. You'll never heard that on a commercial radio station .... !!!!! I believe he said that the number of calls was insane and happy to hear the new album! The station never figured out which song to play because there were no "hits" in the album! Didn't matter ... I think  Guy alone probably burned up a couple of copies by himself! And he also played TOFT senseless!

Wow, I can only imagine tuning into a radio station and hearing a whole album straight, let alone a double, and never mind an awesome prog rock landmark! That must've been incredible!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 23:20
Here are my experiences with the Pink Floyd albums listed.

Meddle:
Likely sitting in my bedroom or living room listening intently to my new Pink Floyd record on vinyl after having used some gift money to buy it at Barnes & Noble

Dark Side Of The Moon:
This one I actually remember. I had checked it out on CD from the local library (I had only recently discovered I could do this), loaded it onto my computer (back before I grew a conscience about doing that sort of thing and deleted all of my library music), and sat down to listen to it at the computer on headphones. It was perhaps the first album I was so intrigued by that I immediately played the whole CD again. I still don't do this very often at all, even for records I love. I was probably a sophomore in high school, or about to become one.

Wish You Were Here:
You'll notice a trend here in that I'd also checked this and the following two out from the library the first time I heard them (I've since purchased all 4). I don't have a specific memory of where I was, but it would have probably been around my sophomore or junior year of high school before I deleted my library music, and my first listen either would've been in the car with one of my parents, or via mp3's dowloaded to my iPod at the time. I remember being vaguely ambivalent about Shine On, especially the second half, but I like the other three songs.

Animals:
This was among the first group of CD's I ever checked out form the library. Along with Styx - Crystal Ball and U2 - War. I distinctly remember listening to this during summer gym and health between my freshman and sophomore year of high school, and it was my first Pink Floyd album. I'm not sure of the exact location of my first listen, but you can bet I played it a decent amount in the car to and from school that summer and listened on my iPod during lunch.

The Wall:
This was probably the last Floyd album I checked out from the library and loaded on my iPod. It would have been in the middle of the school year around the same year as the last three. I distinctly remember trying to put it on as background music while I did some math homework in my bedroom. Let's just say the math homework didn't get very far and I had very mixed feelings about how intensely depressing the album was at the time. It was definitely an experience.

And here's my current ranking of them:

1. Animals
2. Dark Side Of The Moon
3. The Wall
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Meddle
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 22:52
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

By the phrasing of this, I'm assuming you're referring to the older generation who were alive when these albums came out..?

I suppose my, "I was sitting at my computer when I first heard all these albums." comment doesn't really compare to the others lol LOL
I wasnīt born when Meddle, Fragile & Close to the Edge came out, I was born in a year when Tales, Selling and Dark Side came, but it was eighties when I heard those all first time. But then computers were really sad and I really havenīt got any kind myself, CD:s were just came, it was from vinyl that I heard these.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 20:38
In my bedroom as a teenager or at college listening with friends.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 20:10

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 16:25
^ Calculus is very additive LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 15:45
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I was doing Math when I first heard those Yes albums Tongue

Is the word "math" a typo? LOL
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 15:27
At home with my headphones on.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 13:42

Hi,

In three different apartments with my good friend, the Space Pirate! 

DSOTM had a great fun distinction. In rehearsals for Guy Guden's play, DSOTM many times graced the before and after while I set and reset the lights correctly.

1972, I saw the PF Hollywood Bowl show and that was just before I met my room mate and friend. 

Relayer I bought, but after TFTO I was not exactly excited. TFTO still is, for me, a top 3 album if I had to choose them!

Greatest memory still is, the station not knowing which song to play from TLLDOB and Guy goes on the air at midnight and plays the full album, all 4 sides, in a row, and I don't remember if he played it again right after or if it was 2 AM when he played the full album again. You'll never heard that on a commercial radio station .... !!!!! I believe he said that the number of calls was insane and happy to hear the new album! The station never figured out which song to play because there were no "hits" in the album! Didn't matter ... I think  Guy alone probably burned up a couple of copies by himself! And he also played TOFT senseless!

Edited by moshkito - June 19 2020 at 13:44
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 13:32
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 13:23
Have to say I am little bored with these comments "if you remember sixties, then you didnīt live it". I am really glad I was sober when I heard these great albums first time and I still remember that!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 13:15
If anyone can truly recall where they first heard those, then they weren't having a good enough time in those days.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 12:54
1: All these Floyd albums I borrowed to my friend and listened in my home in my brothers bedroom, which was also music listening room that time. Really when heard Dark Side first time it was a big change to me!
2. This is more complex. My brother had bought "Relayer" almost same time when he bought his first stereos. I was about 4-5 years old, when listening it first time, it was my brothers room in a different apartment. Really didnīt quite understand it then, but music really brought the same feeling, as the snakes and those riders in that cover. All those other Yes albums I heard first time in that same listening room as Floyd albums when I bought them myself.
3. All these Genesis albums I also borrowed first from different friends and listened also in that same room as those Floyd albums. Except "Selling England" I bought without hearing beforehand anything else than "I Know What I Like". Album really wasnīt disappointment!!

Edited by Mortte - June 19 2020 at 23:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>