0 [0.00%]
4 [4.82%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 07:53
Many people dislike Minstrel for several reasons. It's my favorite JT album. There's the strangely underrated One White Duck/Nothing at All, the epic Baker Street Muse, and the absolutely Prog title track...
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:09
A Passion Play is a masterpiece and my favourite JT album.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:38
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

Many people dislike Minstrel for several reasons. It's my favorite JT album. There's the strangely underrated One White Duck/Nothing at All, the epic Baker Street Muse, and the absolutely Prog title track...

I agree about One White Duck but not a fan of the album at all

However, Benefit is underrated IMO.  It's a rendering of JETHRO TULL as a singer songwriter album.  The song "Inside" could have been done by Gordon Lightfoot at the time.  And I do mean that as a compliment
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:44
I've always liked Crest of A Knave a lot. Some great stuff on that album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:47
Aqualung got a vote.
I don't get it, how is that underrated? 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:50
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Aqualung got a vote.
Probably because it's some fan's favorite Tull album and it's not rated as high as TAAB in PA.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:53
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Aqualung got a vote.
Probably because it's some fan's favorite Tull album and it's not rated as high as TAAB in PA.

Well, for me an underrated album is one that deserves more praise than it's got, is underappreciated (for some reason). Simple as that... Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 09:00
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Aqualung.
It's rated below TAAB but I think it's better. In fact, it's their best album and the only one I would give 5* to.

I don't think Aqualung is underrated. I think it's rated highly by most Tullfans.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 09:02
Originally posted by Libor10 Libor10 wrote:

The Broadsword and the Beast - I've always loved this one and it seems to me some JT fans unnecessarily resent it. Well, the sound is quite different (more keyboards and synthesizers), but it's the 80's, isn't it? Look how Yes or Genesis changed they're sound and compositions. So JT was not the only one. IMO this album is very good and with Crest of Knave the best JT did in 80's.

In total agreement with everything you said! Clap 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 09:16
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Aqualung.
It's rated below TAAB but I think it's better. In fact, it's their best album and the only one I would give 5* to.

I don't think Aqualung is underrated. I think it's rated highly by most Tullfans.
Again, it's not as highly rated as TAAB and that just makes some people a little precious.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 11:04
Definitely Minstrel in the Gallery
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 15:20
If by 'rated' we mean PA numbers, it's gotta be War Child .   A misunderstood record, but with the extra cuts added back and the sound cleaned up, it was restored to its original brilliance.   Plus it has flashes of early prog metal.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 15:37
Stormwatch is great, I def think better than this sites rating
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 18:18
Definitely A. I have loved it ever since it was released in 1980. Not a dud track and it was refreshing after the prog folk trilogy. I'd had enough of that stuff and A was a breath of fresh air. Currently rated at 3.20 on PA; I have always given it a 5!

As for Broadsword and The Beast, I think it is overrated (even with a 3.28 rating on PA)....Tull took a backward step on that one IMHO.

I don't think Minstrel has ever been underrated.....it sits exactly where it should be on PA i.e. 4.03 rating.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 18:48
Based on ratings at PA...it would be War Child and/or Stormwatch...both very good albums.

Personally I think Benefit should be over 4 stars ,but it has a solid 3.91..almost 4.
Minstrel has over 4 stars and A is simply not a 4 star lp.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 01:54
I voted for Stormwatch which for a 1979 release is damn good. I wasn't aware that Minstrel was underrated . That's the one I go for if I get bored with TAAB.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 02:44
I can only echo the sentiments toward A. Such an outstanding album - I think it ranks up there with U.K. (thanks Eddie).
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:08
A Passion Play is, IMO, their best album and easily in the top 10 best prog records of all time.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:12
Minstrel In The Gallery is kicking butt! No surprise really as who doesn't love One White Duck and Baker St. Muse? Cold Wind To Valhalla gives me chills and Black Satin Dancer is sublime. The title track? Pass. LOL Thank god for the raved up coda.

Edited by SteveG - June 30 2020 at 07:14
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:30
Let's approach this mathematically...
                                         My rating  PA rating Difference
Passion Play                           4.5          4.02          0.48
Heavy Horses                          4.7          4.04          0.66
Stormwatch                              4.1          3.46          0.64
Broadsword and the Beast         3.6          3.28          0.32
Under Wraps                            3.3          2.24          1.06

All the others have a lower if not negative difference.
So Under Wraps it is, who'd have thought?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>