Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Outlandish Prog Suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 09:43
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^Sara Lee also played on the second Summers/Fripp collaboration called "bewitched." 
Excellent album, along with I Advance Masked ! I just listened to that one the other day as I was cataloguing my CD's.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 11:33
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

We also had Police coming up, and somebody even lobbied for Abba! (I don't think Abba ever was an official suggestion but I do remember one or two users stating at all fitting and unfitting occasions that Abba are prog for them.)

I've said that I find this ABBA song Proggy, as has at least one more person, but I wouldn't claim that ABBA is a Prog band.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 11:42
The Visitors by ABBA is a slightly proggy song as well but I'd never say they were (in general) anywhere prog. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 12:24
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

The Visitors by ABBA is a slightly proggy song as well but I'd never say they were (in general) anywhere prog. 

Agreed. I never noticed anyone seriously suggesting that ABBA was a prog band, but merely that the notion that ABBA has nothing to do with Prog is not as straight-forward as some have claimed.That's often been my argument when people have suggested acts that have been ridiculed by others -- Parliament/ Funkadelic comes to mind. I think Parliamant's debut Osmium has prog-relatedness as does music in various albums by Funkadelic. I think a lot of suggestions have more merit than some give, sometimes because they don't know enough of the music and are drawing different associations (our Prog categories do cover a lot of musical ground). It doesn't mean that such stuff should be added, however. I commonly take issue with absolutist type thinking, and commonly prefer an agnostic and non binary, non-black and white way of thinking about things.

The most ridiculous addition to PA was William Hung, but that was done on April 1, 2007. It is still the best April Fools Day joke at PA in my time here -- in fact it's the only one that I can recall. I wrote a review for a Willam Hung album I made up called Hung Like a Horse based on his Hung For the Holidays album.

Edited by Logan - July 01 2020 at 12:27
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 14:22
the key changes and odd time signatures combination alone make this one prog:

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 14:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Agreed. I never noticed anyone seriously suggesting that ABBA was a prog band, but merely that the notion that ABBA has nothing to do with Prog is not as straight-forward as some have claimed.

A Dutch guy claimed that, Kinglake or something, and I think he got one other person agreeing.
Anyway, I like all three mentioned or linked Abba songs; actually on my Vortexbox I have a collection of Abba songs that I love, and the number has grown surprisingly big over the years. I wrote earlier that the word prog and the borderline prog/non-prog doesn't mean much to me. I should add that I believe genre delimitations are often as much about the culture and positioning of the fans as about the music itself, for which reason Abba as prog feels very very outlandish to me, much more than could be justified by the music alone. Well, and then it's hard to find any major seventies band that has not in one way or another used any prog element/influence, so if that was a criterion, PA would explode.

Edited by Lewian - July 01 2020 at 14:48
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:38
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Anyway, I get it. I think we are just coming at it from different angles. I don't take the term progressive literally like some people do or think it has to always live up to it's name. I think it's just an unfortunate term that stuck that many fans think has to always live up to it's name. In that sense Prog might be better but ultimately I see it as all the same thing. Or maybe just call the non "progressive" stuff art rock. At this point I just prefer to call it all prog though. I'll leave it up to this site to sort out all the particulars(subgenres).

The "progressive" in the prog rock name is not an accident though. When what we call prog rock started, quite a bit of it was pretty progressive indeed. Arguably, if you go by the attitude behind the music, much of what is experimental or "arty" after 1980 up to these days is closer to the prog spirit than neo-prog. (But as I said, personally I don't mind much; it's just words and I expect some chaos when dealing with language.)  

Yeah that's kind of the point I was trying to make. The styles that many people associate with prog were progressive starting in the late 60s or so, but maybe not as much by the late 70s. So arguably, something that was really experimental, like the stuff, say, Univers Zero was doing in the 80s, could be considered more "progressive" than, say, IQ maybe. Certainly more than Spock's Beard. But we would all (or most of us) would consider them "prog." So that's kind of why it makes more sense to me to delineate. But whatever, I don't really want to get too hung up on it. Personal preferences will prevail.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234