Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite era of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which era of prog do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [58.73%]
1 [1.59%]
4 [6.35%]
14 [22.22%]
1 [1.59%]
4 [6.35%]
2 [3.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:08
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I can't listen to the same album or band continuously. The last ten years of prog has been superb. 2019 had so many incredible releases and more choices than ever. The 80's were kind of weak, but still great albums from Rush, Holdsworth, Gabriel, Metheny, and KC. So I vote for all three equally.

No offense Mike, but did think the outcome of this poll would would be anything other than option one?

Well, you didn't vote for option one so..........Wink
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:23
^Haha you roasted me. But this will be a landslide for option one.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:32
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^Haha you roasted me. But this will be a landslide for option one.

Probably but these are fun to do anyway. Plus it's not like there are no other options. If I said "only 70's" without the "mostly" I wonder if the results would be that much different. Are there really that many people on here who never left the seventies(aside from Psych Paul that is)?
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 09:35
I'm constantly being amazed by the creativity and talent of the 21st Century artists but I have also loved discovering the music from the "old" ("classic") period and the "middle" period. I am blown away by how much music was out there that I was completely oblivious to (e.g. RPI, Neo, as well as music from Japan, Scandanavia, France, and Kosmische Musik).

Voted "New and Middle" because the bands/albums I'm discovering from there are much more interesting to me; the old stuff was fresh and innovative for its time--analogous to the influences of Scott Joplin, Robert Johnson, Fats Waller, Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, Fletcher Henderson, Duke Ellington, Gershwin brothers, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Schoenberg, Stravinsky, and Shostakovich in the 1920s and 30s--but I enjoy the music that the "classic era" prog artists opened the door for as much if not more: bands like Univers Zero and Art Zoyd, the Post Rock explorers, Anathema and Pendragon, Toby Driver and David Sylvian, Ulver and Ryuichi Sakamoto, Kate Bush and Tirill Mohn, Kscope and AltrOck Productions, Pär Lindh and After Crying, Riccardo Principe and Pagan Folk, operatic metal and atmospheric djent. So much (more) great music since the 70s!  
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 09:52
Definitely the 70's, which were the most creative, original and diversified. So, late 60's to 1979.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 06:54
I Put all because Im newer to prog so I don't want to lock myself into only liking stuff from the seventies 
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 07:05
60s and 70s.
80s - not much to like there for me! Least favorite, prog-wise
90s - nice resurgence, especially Sweden
00s and 10s - every year has at least a few interesting albums, I respect that
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 08:47
All.  There is brilliant stuff across all the decades....
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 09:51
I personally like the old school prog sound no matter the release/recording date. xD I love Yes as much as Transatlantic because they both represet the kind of sound I like. :)

So yeah, I don't have a fave era but there are certain textures/aspects to the overall sound of a band which I like more than the others in prog. I can't stand prog metal with growly vocals for example. Or for example, I absolutely adore the hammond organ.

Edited by Hrychu - July 01 2020 at 09:53
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:48
Surely the first era.

I would say from 1969 to 1973 plus Rock Bottom (1974).

In my opinion, in 1975 begins the decline of prog.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 11:45
First option. But I do enjoy some stuff from the 80's on to the present
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 13:39

I'm unsure of what the basis of my answer should be. Most of the albums I have are from the 70s, but most of the music I currently listen to is from the 21st century. Although my favourite group is Van der Graaf Generator, generally speaking I don't regard the 70s artists quite as highly as many on this site do. Fortunately, AFlowerKingCrimson provided the "Mostly only old and newer" option which seem to be the best choice for me.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 14:32
69-75.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12