Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Dire Straits Count as Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Dire Straits Count as Prog?
    Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:53
Do Dire Straits Count as Prog? They did do some very progressive stuff, like their 14 minute song Telegraph Road, but is that just a sort of weird, jazz fusion/roots rock stuff?
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 08:08
No. Not in my opinion at least.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 08:11
No.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 08:16
No
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 08:28
My definition of prog is more extended than most others', but I would draw a line at Dire Straits. I must admit I am only familiar with two of their albums though, their self-titled debut album and "Brothers in Arms".

Their debut left my elder brother (ten years my senior) cold; there was so much music that he considered to be much more interesting at that time. And I was only nine years old at the time and heard music mostly because he heard it; he was my babysitter back then (some babysitter he was; my parents would have freaked out had they known what he was doing while babysitting me). My taste was very much influenced by him, and so I didn't warm up to them either.

"Brothers in Arms" came out when I was sixteen and MTV was in its prime, and of course I saw the video for "Money for Nothing". I liked the heaviness of that song, so I got the album for myself. But I found the rest of the album rather disappointing. I never heard their other albums.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 08:40
No, DS are not prog but it's easy to see why prog fans would like a sophisticated album like Love Over Gold or Making Movies. Good stuff.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 08:59
Love over Gold is quite good, but I find a lot of their music fairly dull.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 09:04
some of their songs have been overplayed, I mean I don't want to hear Money For Nothing any time soon. Or Romeo & Juliet, Walk of Life. 

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 09:04
In one word, No, but in more than word, Yes, I've always liked Dire Straits, (even though I wouldn't want to be in dire straits myself), but I don't really think they have a place in ProgArchives - not even in the  Prog-Related section, before anyone asks. Even so, I'll never tire of hearing their weird, jazz fusion/roots rock stuff. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 30 2020 at 09:09
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 09:21
The real question is ... does Dire Straits count as prog to you?

To my ears, there were definitely progressive in combining country, blues, jazz, and even classical elements with rock. If you haven't heard Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins' album entitled "Neck and Neck", it is fun. Also, Money For Nothing off of Brothers in Arms showcases an extremely creative (and, dare I say progressive) way of playing electric guitar using country fingerstyle. The introduction leading into the guitar riff gives me goosebumps every time. The lyrics were meant to be satirical but are often criticized these days as being offensive. At the time Mark Knopfler was often dubbed the King of Tone. When you listen to the song Brothers in Arms, just tell people you have sand in your eyes. But, would I call them a Progressive Rock band?

Probably, I would not classify them in that way. But, I'd think twice about it, and they are definitely a band that many people who enjoy Prog Rock have on their playlists ... like Big Country (rah!) and shy people who like Kajagoogoo.

Edited by Jaketejas - June 30 2020 at 09:32
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 09:36
No......but Knopfler is a killer guitarist.

...and Pick Withers the drummer in DS used to be in the prog band 'Spring'.
Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - June 30 2020 at 09:37
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 09:48
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink

Good catch doc. Clap

Edited by SteveG - June 30 2020 at 09:48
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 10:56
Nah....there is no progressive rock music in their albums.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 11:07
No. Their music was originally based in pub and club blues, but they were certainly a damned fine band.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 11:46
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink

Good catch doc. Clap
and their later drummer, Terry Williams, was in Welsh band Man.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 11:46
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No, DS are not prog but it's easy to see why prog fans would like a sophisticated album like Love Over Gold or Making Movies. Good stuff.

If DS had made three stupendous albums ala Love Over Gold, I'd say that they could have a shot at PA, but otherwise no.

While I still love their debutClapStar, their next two albums bore me to death. Sleepy

And TBH, at first, I almost didn't pay attention to LOG because all you heard was Industrial Disease (musically the weakest on that album) over the radio, and at the time, I was diving into 60's psych and 70's JR/F and soon afterwards 60's jazz. But that was one hell of an album.StarClapClapStar; but, I could've easily missed it altogether.

I was expecting very much out of their next release , which turned out to be awful Twisting EP, which was a complete turn off. I wasn't impressed at BIA either at first, because if I didn't mind MFN, I hated the other hits out of it, and by that time, I was almost completely out of the "rock thing". Then I heard at a GF's place the second side of the BIA album, and I found it rather nice (much more in the LOG mood) with strong stuff

One of DS' facet is the roots thing, and this is a gigantic turn off for me, with tracks like Walk Of Life and stuff like that. Very irritating, to the point that if it comes on the radio, I will switch stations.
BTW, I never really warmed to Alchemy Live, though most people rave about it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 11:52
^ You were bored to death by Making Movies? Confused
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 12:12
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Nah....there is no progressive rock music in their albums.

There is no "prog" music in their albums. I think they have their "progressive" moments, but wouldn't consider them overall as progressive rock, nor should they have an entry on PA. Though maybe we need a database for bands that many prog fans enjoy that are not prog or qualify for prog-related. "If you like prog, you might like these bands/artists."
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 12:20
As far as I am concerned, Dire Straits are very much like The Police - wonderful band whose albums get regular spins here, but with very flimsy connections to prog. As the Interactive Polls we are enjoying in this same section of the forum have amply demonstrated, there is a whole lot of great music around that is not prog, or only very tenuously related. On the other hand, there is a lot of very bad music whose prog "credentials" cannot be questioned. I'll keep on enjoying what I like whether it's on PA or not.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 13:02
The Love Over Gold album does perhaps (and "Telegraph Road" in particular). Apart from that, not really. I really like them nonetheless.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>