Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 Barclay James Harvest Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 11:01
Hi,

Sadly, I do not listen to songs ... I listen to MUSIC and in this case ... ALBUMS ... and BJH holds a special spot in my heart all the way back to the original Mockingbird! It was one of the very first HARVEST albums I ever got.

I can not help feel that their complete history and canon of music is magnificent, and how sad it was that some folks think they are a "poor man's Moody Blues", when that band started poetic and ended up being a farcical copy of its supposed poetic notions ... which were dropped because the record company wanted more hits!

I'll buy more BHJ albums before any of MB's albums ... in fact I only have one ... the only album of theirs that matters. The rest is crap! And over  rated and smelly crap!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 16:11
Medicine Man (7'' B side 72 version or version on 'Live' or 'Rock n Roll star live EP, not the orchestrated version on 'Other short stories')
Dark now my sky (BJH S/T )
Negative Earth/ She Said (BJH Live two tracks as one)
Summer Soldier (BJH Live version)
One Night (Time Honoured Ghosts)
Beyond the Grave ( THG)
Ra (Octoberon)
Suicide
Child of the universe (Live tapes version)

I know that's 9 (well 10) rather than 7 but its off the top of my head; could be different tomorrow- there's some great early demo, B side and non lp tracks I love..

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 10:45
This is how the Top 7 looks so far after the first three sets of votes:-

1. Medicine Man (16 points)
1. Dark Now, My Sky (16 points)
3. Ra (13 points)
4. Suicide (12 points)
5. She Said (9 points)
6. Mocking Bird (8 points)
6. Poor Man's Moody Blues (8 points)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 05 2020 at 01:26
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:00
Back in the 1970s BJH were considered prog where I came from, and that makes it all the sadder that progheads today look down their noses at them, especially when they idolize the likes of Supertramp But I digress.  BJH are partly to blame for their being regarded as harmless today because after 1979 they didn't do much of note, but then that's true for a lot of prog bands.  And BJH was huge in Germany in the 1980s so they were playing to their audience.

It's very hard to pick 7 tracks let alone the order, not to mention that some live versions blow the studio versions sky high.  But I'll leave out the odd great track post 1979 and focus on the 2 Golden Eras, Harvest and Polygram, until Woolly Wolstenholme left, and at most 1 track per album

1.  Mayday
2.  Child of the Universe
3.  Hymn
4.  Mockingbird
5.  Nova Lepidoptera
6.  Medicine Man
7.  Hymn for the Children

honourable mention to their very first single "Early Morning"

Edited by kenethlevine - July 04 2020 at 13:05
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:05
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

\
I'm with you on the Live Tapes version of "Child". It's interesting that the song wasn't even included on "Live", which was an indication of how popular it became in the ensuing years.

Just curious what you think of the live version of "One Night".  Lees performs a magnificent solo the last few minutes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:50
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

\
I'm with you on the Live Tapes version of "Child". It's interesting that the song wasn't even included on "Live", which was an indication of how popular it became in the ensuing years.

Just curious what you think of the live version of "One Night".  Lees performs a magnificent solo the last few minutes

I love the Live Tapes version of One Night but was, a bit like you, trying to pick one track per album.. but I got rather side-trackedConfused. I have a very special attachment to BJH (for all sorts of reasons I wont go into now) and specifically the Woolly Era (1979 & before- I saw them on the last tour with Woolly) and find it very, very hard to pick specific tracks. I do tend to enjoy their lps as an entity even though there are a few duffers on just about every album..

Its funny, when I was at secondary school in the mid 70's studying German, my pen-pal was mad on BJH!!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 14:02

\

Its an odd one with 'Child'.. I know BJH had a bit of a problem at the end of the Harvest era where they played in South Africa.. I think they were duped by their management and were not in a financial position to do much about it.. I know the college and polytechnic circuit turned their back on them for a while due to it. I think they were genuinely innocent and at most just made a poorly informed decision to go. Anyway, I think it haunted them for a bit and 'Child' (with its references to South Africa) was in part a reaction to that.. John Lees also did a version on his Solo lp 'A Major fancy' and a more stripped down version was released as a single in the States. I think that, slightly later on, it re-invigorated them as a band that could & did write lyrics with a social conscience...

I wont make any comment about 'Barclay James Harmless'.... obviously not seen or heard what 70's BJH could do Live!!! The fact that Polydor got Rodger Bain (of Black Sabbath production fame) to produce 'Everyone' and 'BJH Live' indicates the sort of Fire-power that the band could and did generate!! 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 14:09
Barclay James Harvest have always been a great band Live for me and their Concert for Berlin in 1982 (mentioned in the intro) is one of their best. Heart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

i will keep out of this. There is a reason why I call them Barclay James Harmless.
I suspect you may be playing the part of the Mocking Bird in mocking Barclay James Harvest. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 16:37
The only time I've seen them live (I believe they never made it to North America until the 2000s) was as headliner for a prog festival in PA, USA some years ago.   It was not that long before Wolstenholme took his own life.  While Lees' was sick as a dog at the show, he was a class act all the way, and they did their name proud.  I'm sure they had more hp in the 1970s but so did most of us!  Woolly was the main MC and was VERY funny.  One of his sadly prescient remarks concerned the average reaction that people get to saying that they are going to see BJH, that being "Barclay James Harvest?  Aren't they dead? "  Woolly said something to the effect of "Give it Time.  We're working on it"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 16:43

\

I love the Live Tapes version of One Night but was, a bit like you, trying to pick one track per album.. but I got rather side-trackedConfused. I have a very special attachment to BJH (for all sorts of reasons I wont go into now) and specifically the Woolly Era (1979 & before- I saw them on the last tour with Woolly) and find it very, very hard to pick specific tracks. I do tend to enjoy their lps as an entity even though there are a few duffers on just about every album..

Its funny, when I was at secondary school in the mid 70's studying German, my pen-pal was mad on BJH!!

they were definitely an album band.  Look at the choices people are making re their top 7.  Some commonality but also a lot of outliers.   And some of their best songs are better because of how they fit on their albums.  Yes most albums even from the 1970s had a duff track or two, but a few of them were pretty close to perfect - Once Again, Everyone is Everybody Else, and Octoberon come to mind in particular.  And the others all have great songs.  I'm really fond of XII where Lees had a certain idea in mind for the theme and Holroyd wasn't playing along.  But it somehow worked quite well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 01:19
Top 7 update, with Keneth Levine's votes added:-

1. Medicine Man (18 points)
2. Dark Now, My Sky (16 points)
3. Ra (13 points)
4. Suicide (12 points)
4. Mayday (12 points)
4. Mocking Bird (12 points)
7. She Said (9 points)

8. Poor Man's Moody Blues (8 points)
8. Hymn (8 points)
8. Child of the Universe (8 points)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 05 2020 at 01:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 13:51

The only time I've seen them live (I believe they never made it to North America until the 2000s) was as headliner for a prog festival in PA, USA some years ago.   It was not that long before Wolstenholme took his own life.  While Lees' was sick as a dog at the show, he was a class act all the way, and they did their name proud.  I'm sure they had more hp in the 1970s but so did most of us!  Woolly was the main MC and was VERY funny.  One of his sadly prescient remarks concerned the average reaction that people get to saying that they are going to see BJH, that being "Barclay James Harvest?  Aren't they dead? "  Woolly said something to the effect of "Give it Time.  We're working on it"

Woolly was a VERY funny man when he was on form, very dry, lots of stories and anecdotes; with his clogs, 'Woolly-back' (Lancashire, particularly around Saddleworth area where the band originated from) accent and warm intelligence, he was someone I think endeared himself to many.. yet he suffered from severe depressions throughout his life in a quiet and dignified manner until he couldn't take it any more. Its very sad and still makes me very upsetCry to think he's gone. His Maestoso albums are excellent, the Uneasy listening compilation is a good place to start.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 13:58

\

they were definitely an album band.  Look at the choices people are making re their top 7.  Some commonality but also a lot of outliers.   And some of their best songs are better because of how they fit on their albums.  Yes most albums even from the 1970s had a duff track or two, but a few of them were pretty close to perfect - Once Again, Everyone is Everybody Else, and Octoberon come to mind in particular.  And the others all have great songs.  I'm really fond of XII where Lees had a certain idea in mind for the theme and Holroyd wasn't playing along.  But it somehow worked quite well.

XII is a great lp (better than Gone to Earth in my opinion) and I saw them on that tour (one of my first concerts, I was about 16) and it was great but i'm sure there was tension there. I think Les Holroyd always wanted more of a 'Rock star' lifestyle and was more interested in American (particularly West Coast) music and lifestyle whereas the rest found the experience of recording 'Time honoured ghosts' in San Francisco a rather harrowing and alienating experience and all they wanted to do was go back to blighty and hide in their favourite pub in Saddleworth!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 14:35
^ Thanks for the Woolly information.  Only after he passed had I learned of his lifelong depression.
The song "On Leave" from "North" is dedicated to him and is truly beautiful, with a haunting middle section.

I also think XII better than "Gone to Earth".  The first side of GTE is incredible - even Holroyd's Eagles ish tune somehow works.  But they seem to run out of steam on side 2.   XII has a couple of weak numbers - "Tale of Two Sixties" and "Turning in Circles" - but programming them out still leaves a great full length LP

Yes Holroyd liked the rock and roll style more than Lees but sometimes he would really hit the spot, particularly when combining that style with tron, as in "Rock n Roll Star", "Giving it Up", or "Believe in Me".  Interestingly, there was a DJ on the Carleton University station in Ottawa in 1978/79 who began every show with "Song for me" (which now that I think of it is right up there as a favourite from BJH).  When they did a feature on XII at the time of release, they commented on how, even then, BJH seemed to be the subject of undue hatred by critics and indifference by the North American audience.  At this point one of them piped up and said something to the effect that he always loves to listen to and talk about BJH because they are a great progressive rock band.   Prog rock does not have to be complex, dissonant, unstructured, and edgy to be great.

I also remember in college in the early 1980s, meeting a guy who was a British new wave fan through and through, and he knew and loved "Hymn".  I suppose if he had spent any time in Germany in the late 70s he would have known it.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 23:36
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Top 7 update, with Keneth Levine's votes added:-

1. Medicine Man (18 points)
2. Dark Now, My Sky (16 points)
3. Ra (13 points)
4. Suicide (12 points)
4. Mayday (12 points)
4. Mocking Bird (12 points)
7. She Said (9 points)

8. Poor Man's Moody Blues (8 points)
8. Hymn (8 points)
8. Child of the Universe (8 points)

Am I the only one who likes Galadriel?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 23:50
I like Galadriel too, but it didn't make it into my Top 7. If you vote for Galadriel as your #1 song though, that'll place it straight into the overall Top 7. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:29
I’m currently spinning Birth Control - Operation (which has nothing to do with anything in this thread) but after this awesome platter, I have the BJH Live dbl LP ready to indulge in. So much to enjoy on this one, I can’t wait.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 15:23
Well, I listened to BJH Live - outstanding for sure. Woolly’s Mellotron work really put me in the zone. So many tremendous tracks performed here. Thanks, Paul, for creating this thread and rekindling my interest in BJH - the handful of albums I have just don’t get the attention they need here (much of my time spent on Tech /Extreme bands mostly). Ye olde faithfuls never fail to deliver !
Oh, After the Day and Medicine Man are just 2 more classics to add.......

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 06 2020 at 15:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Well, I listened to BJH Live - outstanding for sure. Woolly’s Mellotron work really put me in the zone. So many tremendous tracks performed here. Thanks, Paul, for creating this thread and rekindling my interest in BJH - the handful of albums I have just don’t get the attention they need here (much of my time spent on Tech /Extreme bands mostly). Ye olde faithfuls never fail to deliver !
Oh, After the Day and Medicine Man are just 2 more classics to add.......

Thanks for your kind words, Tom. This is the classic BJH anthology concert, celebrating 25 years of Barclay James Harvest, and demonstrating why they've always been a great live act. Heart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>