Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 Barclay James Harvest Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 14:58
In Memory of the Martyrs is a great song; possibly the last real BJH 'Classic'? In all honesty I stopped listening to their output after the 'Turn of the Tide' lp (saw them on that tour, supposedly Twelfth Night were supposed to be the support as they (briefly) had the same management but it never happened). The 'Turn..' lp brought a slight renaissance in the UK for the band (instrumental part of one of the tracks (Death of a city I think..) was used on the satirical TV show 'Not the Nine o clock news'.. but all in all was only marginally better than 'Eyes of the Universe'... without Woolly in the mix it was just sliding off into the soft rock zone. The next time I saw them was 2002 as 'BJH through the eyes of John Lees and Woolly Wolstenholme'..

Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 15:57
Agree about the "very uneven". At one time I owned a majority of their albums, but have since whittled my collection down to a "core 7":

1. Everyone is Everybody Else (1974)
2. Gone to Earth (1977)
3. Eyes of the Universe (1979)
4. Turn of the Tide (1981) - my personal favorite
5. Ring of Changes (1983)
6. Welcome to the Show (1990)
7. Caught in the Light (1993).
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 16:18
The only BJH album I have on your list is Everyone is Everybody Else. I also have:- Barclay James Harvest & Other Stories; Time Honoured Ghosts; Octoberon; XII; and also a compilation titled "Mocking Bird".

I'd trade ALL of Genesis' post-1970's albums for just one more Barclay James Harvest album. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 15 2020 at 16:18
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 13:44
1. The Poet / After the Day
2. Summer Soldier
3. Ra
4. She Said
5. For No One
6. Medicine Man
7. The World Goes On

For me one of the best symphonic progrockbands out there.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 15:03
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

1. The Poet / After the Day
2. Summer Soldier
3. Ra
4. She Said
5. For No One
6. Medicine Man
7. The World Goes On

For me one of the best symphonic progrockbands out there.

Good to see you! A great list of BJH tracks- i'd be very very happy with that list as a playlist!Clap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234