Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 Barclay James Harvest Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 7 Barclay James Harvest Songs
    Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:16
BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST are the featured artist this time around, as we ONCE AGAIN list our favourite songs and delve into the history of BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST & OTHER SHORT STORIES. Who can forget the cute picture of  BABY JAMES HARVEST poking his head out of a plant pot on their fourth album cover. Here at ProgArchives, EVERYONE IS EVERYBODY ELSE in the progosphere, where the classic albums of BJH appear like TIME HONOURED GHOSTS from time to time. The eighth month of the year was OCTOBER ON the ancient Roman calendar, making it the perfect name for the eighth Barclay James Harvest album. The band took a short break, but weren't GONE TO EARTH for long though before returning  with their best-selling album of all time in 1977. In the XII Kingdoms of Prog, Barclay James Harvest reigned supreme and the EYES OF THE UNIVERSE were upon them in 1982 for their Concert for the People in Berlin. This landmark gig for BJH preceded a TURN OF THE TIDE in the Cold War when a RING OF CHANGES were on the way and the old Soviet leaders became VICTIMS OF CIRCUMSTANCE, following the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991. The world became a safer place with no more FACE TO FACE Cold War confrontations between East and West with the ever-present threat of nuclear armageddon hanging over the world. History didn't end in 1991 though, and in the prophetic words of Messrs Emerson, Lake & Palmer, WELCOME TO THE SHOW that never ends, because there were new threats on the way in a new century. CAUGHT IN THE LIGHT of a beautifully clear morning on 11th September 2001, an airliner flew low over New York City..... The RIVER OF DREAMS would soon be shattered forever!

All Barclay James Harvest albums in BLOCK CAPITALS in chronological order of release.

I've added a couple of extra songs onto the usual Top 5 list to hopefully make it a bit more interesting. Smile Simply list your Top 7 Barclay James Harvest songs in order of preference below and then I'll assign points to your listings as follows:-

1st song - 12 points
2nd song - 8 points
3rd song - 6 points
4th song - 4 points
5th song - 3 points
6th song - 2 points
7th song - 1 point

All of the points divide neatly into the number 24. Cool

Here's my BJH Top 7 to get the poll underway:-

1. Suicide (12 points)
2. Mocking Bird (8 points)
3. Poor Man's Moody Blues (6 points)
4. Medicine Man (4 points)
5. She Said (3 points)
6. Hymn (2 points)
7. Titles (1 point)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 01 2020 at 10:19
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:59
Ra
Dark Now, My Sky
She Said
Crazy (over you)
Rock n Roll Star
Poor Man’s Moody Blues
The Iron Maiden
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 11:31
^^ Your #1 choice "Ra" is a BJH song I'm not familiar with. I'll have to give it a listen.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 14:51
i will keep out of this. There is a reason why I call them Barclay James Harmless.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

i will keep out of this. There is a reason why I call them Barclay James Harmless.

I guessed you weren't a big fan of BJH from one of your comments in a previous blog. Wink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:59
My mother has all my old vinyl in her attic. One of the albums in there somewhere is "everyone is everybody else." On cd the only thing I have is the double cd the live tapes or whatever it's called. I bought it when BJH played at Rosfest one year. That was a great performance but over all I'm not very familiar with them. I do like some of the songs I have heard but I don't really remember titles except for "mockingbird" and "child of the universe." Another band to add to my list I suppose. I hope more people comment though. Being a big Moody Blues fan they really are a band I should explore much more than I have. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 16:19
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I guessed you weren't a big fan of BJH from one of your comments in a previous blog. Wink

Well...they are often called a 'Poor Man's Moody Blues'.....

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 22:52
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

My mother has all my old vinyl in her attic.  

She quite literally has some "Songs in the Attic", just like Billy Joel. Smile
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 03:23

The reason I am not too fond of them is that they are never really challenging; they are always euphonious and dulcet. In other words: They are harmless. That's why I call them "Barclay James Harmless".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 03:47

The reason I am not too fond of them is that they are never really challenging; they are always euphonious and dulcet. In other words: They are harmless. That's why I call them "Barclay James Harmless".
I just happen to like euphonious and dulcet prog. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 04:59
"Once Again" is one of my all-time favourite albums (let alone prog albums) but I've never been able to get into any of their others, they just don't really do anything for me, so I won't vote as my top 7 would be pretty much that album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 05:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

"Once Again" is one of my all-time favourite albums (let alone prog albums) but I've never been able to get into any of their others, they just don't really do anything for me, so I won't vote as my top 7 would be pretty much that album.

You're perfectly welcome to choose a Top 7 all from the same album. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 05:39

^^ Your #1 choice "Ra" is a BJH song I'm not familiar with. I'll have to give it a listen.
Have you listened yet ?? Ra is an amazing song from the Octoberon album. Love the bombastic / mellow contrasts.

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 03 2020 at 05:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 05:55
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Have you listened yet ?? Ra is an amazing song from the Octoberon album. Love the bombastic / mellow contrasts.
At the moment, "Ra" is in joint first place on 12 points with my #1 choice "Suicide", seeing as we're the only two PA members who have voted in the poll so far. Smile

When you mentioned "Ra" is on the Octoberon album, I realised that particular album is already in my collection, so I'll have to give "Ra" another listen. Thanks for the recommendation. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 03 2020 at 05:56
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 06:49

At the moment, "Ra" is in joint first place on 12 points with my #1 choice "Suicide", seeing as we're the only two PA members who have voted in the poll so far. Smile

When you mentioned "Ra" is on the Octoberon album, I realised that particular album is already in my collection, so I'll have to give "Ra" another listen. Thanks for the recommendation. Thumbs Up

You’re very welcome ! There are lots of BJH fans here but most probably can’t be bothered posting their faves for the umpteenth time.......just a hunch.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 07:03
^^ As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been a BJH Top 5, Top 7 or Top 10 songs poll prior to this one. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 07:53

^^ As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been a BJH Top 5, Top 7 or Top 10 songs poll prior to this one. Smile
Fair ‘nuff. Maybe it’s just my prescence.......

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 03 2020 at 07:54
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 08:22
1. Mockingbird
2. She Said
3. Mockingbird
4. She Said
5. Mockingbird
6. She Said
7. Mockingbird
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 08:27
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

1. Mockingbird
2. She Said
3. Mockingbird
4. She Said
5. Mockingbird
6. She Said
7. Mockingbird

Are you a Mockingbird making a mockery of my poll? LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 08:32

Fair ‘nuff. Maybe it’s just my prescence.......

No, it's not you. Maybe BJH are just too Barclay James Harmless (as BaldFriede calls them) for many prog fans, or it could be because they're regarded as a Poor Man's Moody Blues. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>