1 [25.00%]
1 [25.00%]
1 [25.00%]
1 [25.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Random Swedish Extreme Metal Classics
    Posted: July 02 2020 at 19:01
Pick your favorite.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 19:17
In Flames - The Jester Race. Its first two songs (Moonshield and The Jester's Dance) are one of the finest things that I've listened to irregardless of the genres; and they are also complementary in a mystic way. I think Whoracle is more consistent and better, but those two songs in The Jester Race are incredible. 

I have a deep respect for Dissection, and the album you put here is excellent. I think they are/were one of the most inspiring extreme metal bands. Great melodies and atmosphere. Children of Bodom is one of the bands that are inspired by them. I didn't hear or read that they admitted it, but I heard some "copied" stuff in Bodom's music. If Dissection had had a drummer like Nicholas Barker, they would have surpassed Cradle of Filth as for popularity, I presume; notwithstanding Dani Filth's insane vocals.

I don't like At the Gates and Dark Tranquillity, and I'm not too familiar with Entombed and Dismember's music. I must have heard stuff from their albums, and most probably they didn't interest me, just like most of the other extreme stuff.

After talking about the Swedish ones you put, I wanna share my reflections on extreme metal.

Sentenced is another band that has some interesting albums, like Amok. They veered into a more "radio-friendly" style in time, though.

I also like Obituary and Vader. Especially Obituary's vocals are unmatched. Krisiun is another interesting extreme metal band, with an excellent drummer. I also like Lock-up, and sadly they parted ways with my favourite metal drummer Nicholas Barker.

Normally I don't like extreme metal, but these are my 2 cents...

Edit: Some of the bands you and I mentioned are not seen extreme by the authorities. As far as I know, if a band doesn't use blast beat drums dominantly, they are seen as simply death metal, black metal etc. But I'm with you, if a band has extremity even if only in vocals, I see it proper to call them extreme metal.

Edited by Shadowyzard - July 02 2020 at 19:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 19:33
One final note, I find Swedish music very interesting. I love music from various countries, whilst Swedish music is the most "alien" sounding one to me, in a good way.

If you don't mind my asking, why didn't you put an Opeth album? Because they are also prog?

Edited by Shadowyzard - July 02 2020 at 19:52
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 20:22
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

In Flames - The Jester Race. Its first two songs (Moonshield and The Jester's Dance) are one of the finest things that I've listened to irregardless of the genres; and they are also complementary in a mystic way. I think Whoracle is more consistent and better, but those two songs in The Jester Race are incredible. 

I have a deep respect for Dissection, and the album you put here is excellent. I think they are/were one of the most inspiring extreme metal bands. Great melodies and atmosphere. Children of Bodom is one of the bands that are inspired by them. I didn't hear or read that they admitted it, but I heard some "copied" stuff in Bodom's music. If Dissection had had a drummer like Nicholas Barker, they would have surpassed Cradle of Filth as for popularity, I presume; notwithstanding Dani Filth's insane vocals.

I don't like At the Gates and Dark Tranquillity, and I'm not too familiar with Entombed and Dismember's music. I must have heard stuff from their albums, and most probably they didn't interest me, just like most of the other extreme stuff.

After talking about the Swedish ones you put, I wanna share my reflections on extreme metal.

Sentenced is another band that has some interesting albums, like Amok. They veered into a more "radio-friendly" style in time, though.

I also like Obituary and Vader. Especially Obituary's vocals are unmatched. Krisiun is another interesting extreme metal band, with an excellent drummer. I also like Lock-up, and sadly they parted ways with my favourite metal drummer Nicholas Barker.

Normally I don't like extreme metal, but these are my 2 cents...

Edit: Some of the bands you and I mentioned are not seen extreme by the authorities. As far as I know, if a band doesn't use blast beat drums dominantly, they are seen as simply death metal, black metal etc. But I'm with you, if a band has extremity even if only in vocals, I see it proper to call them extreme metal.

Thank you for your input.

In my case, I largely prefer Dark Tranquillity over In Flames.

As for Dissection, I couldn't agree more with you. To me, Dissection is, next to Bathory, one of my favorite black metal acts (to be honest I don't particularly care very much for norwegian household names such as Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, etc)

In relation to Sweden, I also agree with you. In fact, Sweden occupies the 4th place in my records collection behind the UK, USA and Argentina, which is my birthplace.

Finally, why no Opeth album on this list...I guess it must seem odd considering my nickname. But the truth is that if I included Opeth, specially on this website, they would overshadow all the other bands.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 20:25
Oh, I got it and you're right. Opeth would DOMINATE in this place.  LOL

Thanks. Thumbs Up
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 20:46
Out of these i guess ENTOMBED

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 20:48
At the Gates Slaughter of the Soul was one of the first records I ever bought. Still remains one of my favorite metal records. The In Flames, Entombed and Dark Tranquillity records are up there, but not as loved as Slaughter of the Soul
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 21:19
I ended up voting for the magnificent "Storm Of The Light's Bane". But now I was listening to "Override of the overture" off the Dismember album and it made me wish I had allowed multiple voting
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 06:14
Clayman.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply