Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES - 90125 (1983)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 04:51
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

90125 is a brilliant Yes album and a genuine progression in style. Better than anything Genesis made post Duke, anything Floyd produced post The Wall and anything Tull made post Broadsword.

As for the two Yes albums that preceded it, it's much better than Tormato and at least on a par with Drama.

90125 is also much better than the album that came after it too. Smile

I agree. Big Generator, although not absolutely terrible, was a significant step down in quality. It could have been much better had they not stopped with working with Trevor Horn. IMO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 06:50
90125 is one of their worst records IMO. Thankfully the first Yes album I listened to was Fragile, if it had been 90125 there's no doubt that Yes would never have become my favourite group lol

I think the only Yes albums I rank lower are BG, Union, and OYE. BG I think is actually on par with 90125, but as mentioned above, suffers from terrible production. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:59
Comparing 90125 and Big Generator is sort of like comparing Presto with Roll The Bones. Presto has the catchier songs but isn't necessarily better. Same thing with 90125. It has catchier songs but Big Generator goes deeper and is more reminiscent of classic Yes so it gets the nod for me personally. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:27
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

You're right, Mortte. I was actually waiting a BG-thread. For me, a song like Shoot High Aim Low easily tops most of the songs on 90125, but it is the only (very) good song on Side A. On side B Final Eyes and I'm Running are quite pleasurable.
All the other songs, I find them at best average, and I have a problem with the drumming (and the sound quality of it); it really doesn't get me. Made me think of a Duracell TV-ad where toy rabbits are drumming and the duracell ones last the longest - that plastic sound...

90125 is a much more consistent high quality album. But, as always, this is about personal appreciation: yours is as valid as mine!
Thanx about great answer!! Commonly I donīt like typical eighties productions and really I am much bigger Yes seventies as any of their later albums -fan. But when forgetting the production I think in 90125 & BG hasnīt got any really bad songs. My fav in BG is Iīm Running which I think as a song is really close Yes great seventies songs. But like quite much also title song, Shoot High, Final Eyes & Holy Lamb. I think the reason why I like these two after seventies albums more than any other later Yes albums is, that I heard those in the eighties and started to like them immediately. After those I lost my interest to Yes (got punk & alternative music period then), I have listened their later albums first time in last decade. So itīs possible some other album will rise over BG, on the other hand I have really good memories from those two albums, so itīs possible it doesnīt happen.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:28
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Comparing 90125 and Big Generator is sort of like comparing Presto with Roll The Bones. Presto has the catchier songs but isn't necessarily better. Same thing with 90125. It has catchier songs but Big Generator goes deeper and is more reminiscent of classic Yes so it gets the nod for me personally. 
That's one of the few positive comments I've read about the Big Generator album. It's certainly been a Big Generator of controversy amongst die-hard Yes fans. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:42
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

That's one of the few positive comments I've read about the Big Generator album. It's certainly been a Big Generator of controversy amongst die-hard Yes fans. Smile

I'll probably never say much negative about it unlike most on here. Maybe part of the reason I have a soft spot for it is the sentimental value it has for me. It was the first tour I saw Yes on and I even attended a Yes convention a couple of months before it was released. Also, I like the eclectic nature of the album. Some of the songs on 90125 are rather similar. Pretty much everything on BG is quite different from the others. It's obvious they took more chances on it and because of that some people don't like it. Having been there at the time I will say that it took too long for it to come out. It should have been released at least a full year before it was. So because of that the timing was off. There were just too many problems with making it and so that might be why some people complain about the production. It never really bothered me though. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 23 2020 at 11:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 02:56
I just read today that there's an asteroid named 90125 by the International Astronomical Union in honour of Chris Squire's memory, so I've just added that little titbit of info to my intro. Smile Heart
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:00
I don't know if anyone's seen the video for "Owner of a Lonely Heart",  but it's a very strange video indeed. The video suddenly stops in its tracks halfway through the song and then restarts again with a completely different music video. They should have stuck with the original version though in my opinion. See what YOU think..... Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 14:25
^That's the long version, which IIRC MTV might have aired ONCE. They always played the short version.

Tony Kaye is not in that video. You can pause it in a few places and see Eddie Jobson:

0:19 That's Ed back behind his keyboards, doing the fist pump.

0:32 Another glimpse of Ed as the camera pans back to Jon.

5:52 He's off to Jon's right, second nearest to the camera.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 14:39
^ Thanks for the info. I just found the original video for Owner of a Lonely Heart.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 20:33
City of Love is a kickbutt song.
Love all the (many) hits off this album too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 02:36
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

City of Love is a kickbutt song.
Love all the (many) hits off this album too.

Yes, I remember City of Love features the unmistakable sound of Chris Squire's powerful window-rattling bassline in the opening.....

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 02:42
^Chris Squire FTW!

I personally enjoy "Leave It" quite a bit,

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:17
I call it 90210.  I was on board with the new direction of Yes when this one came out.  I then moved on from Yes to other artists to the point that I didn't come back for a while after.  Still haven't added this one to my Yes CD collection.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:45
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I call it 90210.  I was on board with the new direction of Yes when this one came out.  I then moved on from Yes to other artists to the point that I didn't come back for a while after.  Still haven't added this one to my Yes CD collection.

When this album first came out I wasn't yet into prog nor did I know what it was so I didn't bat an eyelash about it. At the time I was listening to Def Leppard(pyromania), Styx and Journey (things like that) so this didn't really sound too out of place. I think in that context and with those goggles on it's fine but once you go down the prog rabbit hole you tend to get spoiled and think everything in terms of progginess and so that can be a problem. It's something to be aware of because it can potentially prevent you(if you have the prog snob attitude)from enjoying it(same thing with the first Asia album and Genesis "shapes"). 

I do have it on cd but not the version with bonus tracks(which I should get). 

Somehow it caught on as 90210 as a joke. Probably because of the tv show. Wink As a result a lot of people call it that. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there are some prog fans who don't even know Yes very well and think that's the actual name of the album. LOL

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 03 2020 at 15:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 23:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

90125 should have been recorded in Beverley Hills. Smile

90125 is the only Yes studio album I ever bought on the original vinyl, although I now have about a dozen Yes albums on CD.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 00:27
I remember it was funny when Van Halen put out OU812 and many didn't get the joke!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 01:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I remember it was funny when Van Halen put out OU812 and many didn't get the joke!

I didn't get the joke either until I just Googled "OU812" and it said "Oh, you ate one too."

It's a bit like the abbreviation "F.U.N.E.X"  which roughly translates as "Have you any eggs?" Smile 

The Two Ronnies - Swedish Made Simple

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 04 2020 at 01:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 11:04
YES - 90125 Live: Access All Areas - A documentary by Steven Soderbergh

grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 11:23
heaven and earth compared to 90125 has better production values i find love the song subway walls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>