Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Poll Question: Hey Mister, sing me a story!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.57%]
1 [2.86%]
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.71%]
1 [2.86%]
6 [17.14%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 17:58
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Nickie, concerning the song "Il testamento di Tito", I omitted to mention the album where it appears, and what it is about. The album's title is La buona novella (The Good News, i.e. the Gospel), and is based on the New Testament apocrypha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_buona_novella). The Tito who speaks in the song is the "good thief" who was crucified next to Jesus Christ; he explains the Ten Commandments from his point of view. In 2010, PFM (who toured extensively with De André in the late Seventies) re-recorded the album: https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28768
  Ah yes, I can see that now, looking at the lyrics and thinking of it in this way.  I didn't think it was Josep Broz!  But this is even more moving in light of it's real meaning.  

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 18:19
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Here's me cheating... I'd like to keep my third spot free for whatever still comes to mind, but here's one out of competition. I wanted to play you something German, a supreme live band from my hometown Hamburg. It's actually not 100% acoustic and a band rather than a singer/songwriter, but they are dominated by the singer and songwriter Jochen Distelmeyer, and pretty lyrics-heavy. Unfortunately I can't find an English translation of the lyrics; the German lyrics are easy to find. "Entries into the void, that's us - unrecognised and already forgotten. Entries into the void, tell me - who should miss us?"
Video removed for space
  You are very tricky, indeed! LOL  Perfectly OK, it's nice that people want to share things.  I could easily have done 6 of my first one (Richard Shindell).   I had so many to decide from (since I love this genre) I kind of went with more solo-y open mic kind of entries on the serious side.  This will probably be able to take an encore poll later on down the line.

Edited by Snicolette - July 27 2020 at 18:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 18:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hah.. getting into it.. not choosing it... doesn't quite fit the theme IMO... but playing at extremely high decibel levels while I surf for some songs and videos I think would fit well

good GOD this this one raise the hair on my arms.. this is what music is all about IMO..

Video removed for space

It would certainly have fit the criteria I think....as I think I said elsewhere, also, he's got a great voice and I almost entered his "Solitary Man," song into one of these polls.  And ya never know, you may bring something to the table that I missed along the way (speaking to your earlier post).  Either way, looking foward to your offerings.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 18:53
Ok, I think I got it narrowed down a bit, but I know I'll regret not posting certain others later.  For now, we'll start with something really melancholic, yet beautiful, but woefully short....

Richard Buckner - "Ariel Ramirez"

Next, this is an artist that I discovered when I was living in Arizona.  I had no idea where he was from or anything, I just know I loved his simplicity of style, yet interesting and meaningful lyrics.  Now, I live in Canada and just discovered that he is actually from the same area I'm currently living in.  That was never intentional, but it's kind of cool that everyone knows who he is up here.

Fred Eaglesmith - "Soda Machine"

Finally, one of my all time favorite singer/songwriters, and one most of you will already know possibly.  This song requires a box of tissue.

Ryan Adams - "I Love You But I Don't Know What to Say"

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 19:00
Thumbs Up I'll leave him out. .that would have been a no brainer choice on my part. The fun part will be for me to decide which of these to choose for the poll.

sure most might have heard this done by others.. but I think he did it best.. he wrote it... and truly is btw.. one of the most fascinating men in all music.  His back story.. life story.. amazing.

oh I loved the more famous version of this (yes..banjo rules) but Allen is a southern institution.. and his version of his own song is truly great

oh this one hits the soul..  grew up listening to him.. one of my dear ol' moms biggest favs..

oh wait.. what was the category... can't have it without having the hands down greatest American singer songwriter ever..  and what a masterpiece of an album this was..

speaking of favorites from dear old mom that were severely imprinted on my DNA

last and not least.. a recent discovery of mine.. a couple of years ago I went on a major Aretha tear when she passed and traced back a big favorite of hers back to the original songwriter..  and Spooner rules..

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 20:53
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Ok, I think I got it narrowed down a bit, but I know I'll regret not posting certain others later.  For now, we'll start with something really melancholic, yet beautiful, but woefully short....

Richard Buckner - "Ariel Ramirez"

Next, this is an artist that I discovered when I was living in Arizona.  I had no idea where he was from or anything, I just know I loved his simplicity of style, yet interesting and meaningful lyrics.  Now, I live in Canada and just discovered that he is actually from the same area I'm currently living in.  That was never intentional, but it's kind of cool that everyone knows who he is up here.

Fred Eaglesmith - "Soda Machine"

Finally, one of my all time favorite singer/songwriters, and one most of you will already know possibly.  This song requires a box of tissue.

Ryan Adams - "I Love You But I Don't Know What to Say"

Videos removed for space....Can't wait to hear, Mike.  I was hoping you'd be able to join in on this one, since you've got great singer/songwriter taste, from what I've seen.  I can't remember who I knew that loved Fred Eaglesmith, but I will love hearing him again (don't know this one).  And I'm sure your other choices will be stellar.  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 21:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Thumbs Up I'll leave him out. .that would have been a no brainer choice on my part. The fun part will be for me to decide which of these to choose for the poll.

sure most might have heard this done by others.. but I think he did it best.. he wrote it... and truly is btw.. one of the most fascinating men in all music.  His back story.. life story.. amazing.

oh I loved the more famous version of this (yes..banjo rules) but Allen is a southern institution.. and his version of his own song is truly great

oh this one hits the soul..  grew up listening to him.. one of my dear ol' moms biggest favs..

oh wait.. what was the category... can't have it without having the hands down greatest American singer songwriter ever..  and what a masterpiece of an album this was..

speaking of favorites from dear old mom that were severely imprinted on my DNA

last and not least.. a recent discovery of mine.. a couple of years ago I went on a major Aretha tear when she passed and traced back a big favorite of hers back to the original songwriter..  and Spooner rules..

You rule-breaker, you!  You are forgiven.  Looking forward to hearing the ones I don't know. Kris and Rita wrote one of my favourite love songs, ever.  Here ya go.  I can find ways to break rules too.  Wink
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 05:01
Very nice, all this! It almost shows us where music comes from...
Haven't listened to everything yet, but that will come.

My turn now, and I thought I'd bother you with some foreign languages. Starting with one most of you won't be able to decipher, and to honour my origins: Dutch.

He was by some considered being the Dutch Bob Dylan: Boudewijn de Groot, with one of his major hits in the 70s, Jimmy (de eenzame fietser / the lonely cyclist), about a father who is thinking of a possible futur for his little boy.
Their is some electric guitar setting in at the moment he sings "I hope he won't become a football player - they might kick him half dead" and then from 2'20" on he repeats "But rather that than a plate in his head of the business man - it would only make him worse".
You can find a mediocre translation of the lyrics here, and I found a YT with the Dutch lyrics in it so you can all sing along:

Second option: A French one, and much more recent one, from Raphael, Caravane. Was quite a hit here (in 2005, or about) and it is a very nice song. This is the official clip, but imo does not fit the stance and poetics the text, but they translated the lyrics underneath the video (on the yt-page):

Last but not least: I lived for a while in what some call North Catalonia, a small part of the South of France near the Spanish (Catalan) border. Impossible not to get to know one of the most popular Catalan singer/songwriters: Lluis Llach.
Impossible not to propose L'Estaca (The Stake), which he wrote in 1968. It passed censorship at first (remember, we are in Franco's Spain), but forbidden in 1969 when it became a very popular song and they started to understand that "the stake" could be a metaphor for the franquist regime ("let's unite to make it fall").  But, during a concert in Madrid that year, where Llach could thus not sing this song, they played a few chords on the piano and the whole audience started to sing it. Llach listened to them, silently (otherwise he would be arrested).
There are many different arrangements of this song. Llach sometimes accompanies himself on the acoustic guitar, sometimes on piano, and other times with an ensemble or even an orchestra.
This link leads you to the original album version, but I give you the video of his first perfomance, after returning from exile in Paris, given in Barcelona in January 1976, two months after Franco's death (English translation of the lyrics here):

And, as a bonus, if you really want the shivers going down your spine, listen to his beautiful composition, written during the night following the "events" in Vitoria Gasteiz in March 1976 during which armed police teargassed and shot on hundreds of people who had sought refuge in a church (five dead and about a hundred with bullet wounds...): "Campanades a morts". This is from a beautiful documentary La revolta permanent, about these events and the coming into being of this composition.

Unfortunately, L'Estaca and Campanades a morts are still very necessary and urgent songs, today...

Edited by suitkees - July 28 2020 at 06:51

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 10:55
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Meltdowner: Jorge Palma “Estrela Do Mar” Oooh, very pretty song of being enchanted by a pretty starfish lover.  First one going to a sort of mythological place.  Beautiful piano, too.  Like how it sometimes deliberately wobbles off, into kind of a starfish gait.  Also Jorge Palma “Ja chega de ilusoes”  I could see why this would grab your attention.  If that is him on the keys, I really enjoy his playing.  The electric dressing is OK, I think you were mainly using this to illustrate how you can to know him and it’s not a candidate?
Indeed! I'd say that song is his take on impressionism and I find that stripped down version better than the original.
Yes, the second isn't a candidate for this poll although it surprise me more than the song I picked for the surprise poll. He plays keys but also guitars and bass on that song.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:48
Continuing on with the nominees thus far:

Mike:  Richard Buckner “Ariel Ramirez” Sweet contemplative piece.  The understated production is lovely and goes with his almost kind of lazy, drawly voice.  This one gave me chills.  Good sign!  Fred Eaglesmith “Soda Machine” I remembered who liked this guy, my eccentric friend, Charlie Tweddle.  He and his beautiful wife, Barbra.  He makes amazing country hats and sings a little, too.  Back to Fred. Such a sad tale of so much emptiness in his life!  Cry Even the soda machine is empty.  I’m surprised he didn’t break his foot on it!  Ryan Adams “I Love You But I Don’t Know What to Say”  Beautiful love song, sensitively sung.  I know of him, but hadn’t heard this.

Micky:  OK, I won’t discuss Mr Diamond, since I kinda did already and he’s not going to be included in this.  Which brings us to Kris Kristofferson “Sunday Morning Coming Down”  Nothing speaks like experience.  You know he lived this.  Truly genuine song and performance.  As you probably guess, I know this one.  😊  Alain Toussaint “Southern Nights” Just gorgeous.  A real master at work, here.  And yeah, I know it.  Don’t think I’ve heard this live version before though.  David Gates “Diary”  Big hit song when I was a teenager.  Kind of a golden age for singer/songwriters, as well as progressive, for contrast.  Sensitive story, sung sweetly.  Willie Nelson “Red Headed Stranger”  Classic tune, telling a cowboy tale.  He finally sold his ranch in Evergreen, CO, but man, what a gorgeous property that was, we drove by it often.  Another study in being genuine and true to your self to becoming a well-deserved success over many decades.  John Denver “Season Suite”  Another of the 70’s era sensitive singer/songwriter types.  My sister, Pam, brought Poems, Prayers and Promises home.  Loved the sound of that ringing 12-string and his versatile voice.  Another well-done song in the passing seasons traditions. Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham “Do Right Woman, Do Right Man”  Here, it’s performed by one of the orginal songwriters, I knew the Aretha Franklin version back in the 60’s  It’s kind of an answer to James Brown’s “It’s A Man’s World.”  Cool to hear the guy who wrote it, perform it.

Suitkees:  Very happy to listen to your songs, the intro you wrote got me very intrigued about them.  😊Boudewijn de Groot “Jimmy” A sort of more upbeat sound than I was expecting from the description….however, it is about the simple joy of having a child who is not yet facing the problems of the world, and wanting to protect him from it.  Raphael “Caravane”  Moody song about facing one’s mortality, simple production, one of the grand musings of life.  LLuis Llach “L’estaca” I llove 😉 this kind of song.  Topical tale-telling, songs to be sung to not forget an event and it’s significance.  I’ve sent myself a note to look at the documentary during a more down time.   Thank you!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:50
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Meltdowner: Jorge Palma “Estrela Do Mar” Oooh, very pretty song of being enchanted by a pretty starfish lover.  First one going to a sort of mythological place.  Beautiful piano, too.  Like how it sometimes deliberately wobbles off, into kind of a starfish gait.  Also Jorge Palma “Ja chega de ilusoes”  I could see why this would grab your attention.  If that is him on the keys, I really enjoy his playing.  The electric dressing is OK, I think you were mainly using this to illustrate how you can to know him and it’s not a candidate?
Indeed! I'd say that song is his take on impressionism and I find that stripped down version better than the original.
Yes, the second isn't a candidate for this poll although it surprise me more than the song I picked for the surprise poll. He plays keys but also guitars and bass on that song.
  Thank you for the clarification.  Again, by saying the electric dressing is OK, I only meant that it is acceptable here, should you want to use it, I was trying to stay away from artists that are really more rock or metal bands in their entirety.  
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 16:42
Nickie: I get "video unavailable" for John Gorka.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 16:57

Nickie: I get "video unavailable" for John Gorka.
  Meltdowner found this one:  , let me know if it works for you.

I'd added this in my thanks to him:  Thank you so much!  I see now that his original label was a subsidiary of Windham Hill.  Hope that doesn't scare anyone off, it's not a typical "Windham Hill" recording.

Edited by Snicolette - July 28 2020 at 16:58
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 17:08
Yes, great! Thanks!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 17:14
I have a hard time commenting on these, because if it's about melodies and voices, for me it's just about whether the magic happens or not, but I can hardly ever explain how it works (not a magician myself, unlike my avatar guy). So I can just give some selection help telling you what I liked most.

Snicolette: Quite important to have that video; John Gorka is my clear winner among your three from page 1.
Logan: Nick Drake is really hard to beat and those other two certainly don't do it. 
rushfan4: I really like that Bob Seger one. Puts me in wistful mood.
raff: That Francesco Guccini one is outstanding, what an original arrangement! Probably the best I have heard until now.

Edited by Lewian - July 28 2020 at 17:28
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 17:21
I will skip this one due to lack of time, and then come back for the next poll.

By the way, the composer behind the Matador theme (in the TV series theme poll), Bent Fabricius-Bjerre, just passed away. In the US he may be known as Bent Fabric, and if I am not mistaken, he won a Grammy for the song "Alley Cat".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 17:40

I have a hard time commenting on these, because if it's about melodies and voices, for me it's just about whether the magic happens or not, but I can hardly ever explain how it works (not a magician myself, unlike my avatar guy). So I can just give some selection help telling you what I liked most.

Snicolette: Quite important to have that video; John Gorka is my clear winner among your three from page 1.
Logan: Nick Drake is really hard to beat and those other two certainly don't do it. 
raff: That Francesco Guccini one is outstanding, what an original arrangement! Probably the best I have heard until now.
  Happy you enjoyed him.  I love that whole LP, there's some funny stuff and some serious stuff and he's got the kind of voice I enjoy.  I understand, also, of how this is harder to comment on, in some ways than where the music and vocals matter, but here, if the words don't speak to you, they just don't.  And sometimes in translation, they don't work as well as native language, perhaps.  

In some ways, I find I have to listen harder to these, because there is a lot of the meat in the lyrics, as there should be....longer to digest, lol.  Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 17:42
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I will skip this one due to lack of time, and then come back for the next poll.

By the way, the composer behind the Matador theme (in the TV series theme poll), Bent Fabricius-Bjerre, just passed away. In the US he may be known as Bent Fabric, and if I am not mistaken, he won a Grammy for the song "Alley Cat".
Thank you for the info on the Matador theme.  May he rest in peace.  

And yes, we all have varying amounts of time and even interest in the various topics, I am sure.  Looking forward to your return.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 18:14

Happy you enjoyed him.  I love that whole LP, there's some funny stuff and some serious stuff and he's got the kind of voice I enjoy.  I understand, also, of how this is harder to comment on, in some ways than where the music and vocals matter, but here, if the words don't speak to you, they just don't.  And sometimes in translation, they don't work as well as native language, perhaps.  

In some ways, I find I have to listen harder to these, because there is a lot of the meat in the lyrics, as there should be....longer to digest, lol.  Smile

I don't think it has much to do with the language. It's rather my kind of music listening. Music is music and words are words. Totally different parts of my brain and heart seem to process one and the other. So when I listen for the music experience, I hardly ever note the lyrics. It's all sound. Very occasionally it can happen that lyrics get me, but even if that happens, it may be only the fifth or tenth time I listen to something.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 18:51

Nickie: Happy you enjoyed him.  I love that whole LP, there's some funny stuff and some serious stuff and he's got the kind of voice I enjoy.  I understand, also, of how this is harder to comment on, in some ways than where the music and vocals matter, but here, if the words don't speak to you, they just don't.  And sometimes in translation, they don't work as well as native language, perhaps.  

Lewian: I don't think it has much to do with the language. It's rather my kind of music listening. Music is music and words are words. Totally different parts of my brain and heart seem to process one and the other. So when I listen for the music experience, I hardly ever note the lyrics. It's all sound. Very occasionally it can happen that lyrics get me, but even if that happens, it may be only the fifth or tenth time I listen to something.
[/QUOTE] Nickie: I see....I am ever torn between the world of music and the world of words, being a voracious reader and also listener.  In most of these kinds of pieces, there is often a less mastery of the music side, it's to be supportive of the words, of which there must be a sort of mastery or it is not effective in it's presentation. Perhaps why I love instrumentals so much, I can create whatever story I want....in these, I must be taken BY the story.

Edited by Snicolette - July 28 2020 at 18:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>