Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Poll Question: Hey Mister, sing me a story!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.57%]
1 [2.86%]
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.71%]
1 [2.86%]
6 [17.14%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 12:41
I want to apologize to everyone, but I think this time I am not going to nominate anything. Unfortunately, this kind of style is not my cup of tea, and after a while when I was listening everything started to blur together. I also believe that anything not in English is not of real interest here, even with a translation available. Additionally, I have been feeling down on the forum (and most other things) in the past few weeks. There are some people who annoy me, and I always have the impression that what I have to say doesn't interest anyone.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 13:28
I am sorry you feel that way, I have found your nominees of interest and your discussions thoughtful throughout these polls.  However I do understand the need to break from things like this.  I certainly would never have heard some of these non-English songs and find them of interest (even though sometimes the translations are tricky).  On the other hand, some genres just don't work for some people and I understand that as well.  I do hope you'll join in again at some point, I've enjoyed getting to know you better through these.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 15:02
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I want to apologize to everyone, but I think this time I am not going to nominate anything. Unfortunately, this kind of style is not my cup of tea, and after a while when I was listening everything started to blur together. I also believe that anything not in English is not of real interest here, even with a translation available. Additionally, I have been feeling down on the forum (and most other things) in the past few weeks. There are some people who annoy me, and I always have the impression that what I have to say doesn't interest anyone.

I'm very sorry to read this. Of course it's your decision, but I value your contributions very highly. As I wrote, for me this is (as the others) about the magic in the music, and the one that has given me most magic up to now was one that *you* of all people have nominated!
Also what you have to say definitely does interest me.

Here's a thought. As a lecturer I sometimes get frustrated when I see what some students do in their exams, and I feel that either they don't listen to me, don't engage with the material, or that it's me, I don't explain things well enough, and therefore they don't get it. But of course that's a terrible generalisation. Many students actually learn something from what I teach, and sometimes, maybe one in a hundred students gets something very special from me. I once taught a mathematics student in a statistics course. He wasn't probably the best mathematician and was maybe starting to get frustrated by his studies. But he was good in statistics, and not only that, he did some things that I found very insightful and special for a student of the second year. So I told him, I'm impressed by what you did here; I believe you have some proper insight and talent for this. Years later he told me that this was the moment when he decided to take on a career as a statistician, and he has never looked back.

The baseline is, if one in one hundred people gets something really worthwhile out of what you are saying, it isn't wasted, it is something really valuable. There are always many who aren't interested, but at the end of the day that's not what counts. What counts is the special moments. (I have at least three albums that I value highly because you recommended them at some point!)

OK, now you do what you want, but don't say nobody listens!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 18:59
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As promised, I have chosen only Italian singer-songwriters - which obviously removes any issues of glam acoustic jamsWink. However, not all the songs I have selected are acoustic, though the electric component is not overwhelming. I am sure Lorenzo will approve of my choicesSmile. They are all old songs, released in the Seventies, and genuine classics of Italian singer-songwriter music ("cantautori"). As an added bonus, I have found a website that has both the original lyrics and the English translations, so you will be able to know what these people are singing about.

The first song is the only one that is completely acoustic, and comes from the debut album of Roman cantautore Francesco De Gregori:

The next one is by our old friend Francesco Guccini, from what is probably his "proggiest" albumLOL, Radici:

The third in line is from the debut album by Antonello Venditti, another Roman cantautore, and a close friend and collaborator of De Gregori:

Last but not least, a song by someone who is on PA under Prog-Related, the late, great Fabrizio De André, recorded with the earliest incarnation of PFM (I Quelli) as a backing band:

Interestingly, both the Guccini and the Venditti song feature Ares Tavolazzi (of Area fame) and Vince Tempera (Il Volo). These are the links to the lyrics; unfortunately, the Venditti lyrics are only in Italian, but they are short, and Google Translate is your friend Wink:

Well, here there is the cream of Italian singer-sonwriters.

De Andrè and Guccini are the fathers, 

Antonello Venditti and Francesco De Gregori are the sons, two of the most appreciated sons.

Ok, everybody know my passion for Guccini, but I love De André with the same intensity.

Last year I have seen in concert PFM, they sang the songs by De André, especially the songs taken from La Buona Novella. But Franz Di Cioccio isn't as charismatic as Fabrizio De Andrè.

Anyway, there two jewels here: Il testamento di Tito and La canzone dei dodici mesi.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - August 02 2020 at 09:10
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 19:06
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

raff: That Francesco Guccini one is outstanding, what an original arrangement! Probably the best I have heard until now.

I am very glad to read this words... as you can see, a singer-songwriter with talent can produce excellent lyrics accompanied with an excellent music.

I am very happy that now, thanks to my and raff's contribution, Francesco Guccini is no longer an author unknown to the members of Pa, but an appreciated singer-songwriter.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 19:10
@Micky

I like especially 
- Kris Kristofferson's song
- John Denver's song.

@Nicky

Excellent songs.
I like especially Shindell's song.

@Logan
hmmm I suspect you are a fan of Nick Drake and Cat Stevens...!
Excellent songs. Trouble is the second time you propose it, and in fact it is very well done, fragile, vulnerable, then it grows and in my opinion it has the only flaw that ends too quickly on a musical level, but he had said everything about the lyrics.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 29 2020 at 19:17
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 19:28
I prefer Boudewijn de Groot, very good.

But... why the Dutch singer of this group reminds me of Dave Cousins of the Strawbs?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 19:45

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 19:49
Ooooh, 3 new ones for people!  Thank you for contributing!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 19:54
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I prefer Boudewijn de Groot, very good.

But... why the Dutch singer of this group reminds me of Dave Cousins of the Strawbs?
  I think I hear also a similarity in the sound of the guitar also, to Cousins, in both the production and the way he strums it.  It is not quite as "ringing" of a tone, but still similar.  

Also glad you enjoyed Richard Shindell.  That entire LP is outstanding, several of the songs on it and also a few from other recordings all wanted to be nominated.  But I settled for something most people have experienced and his thoughtful treatment of the subject.  Quite the poet, he often has double meanings to his lyrics.

Edited by Snicolette - July 29 2020 at 19:56
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 20:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hah.. getting into it.. not choosing it... doesn't quite fit the theme IMO... but playing at extremely high decibel levels while I surf for some songs and videos I think would fit well

good GOD this this one raise the hair on my arms.. this is what music is all about IMO..

you got that right. This song rules. I remember requesting it at the roller skating rink in the late 70s. Everyone but me left the rink (they’d rather hear Peter Frampton sing the Beatles). But I skated my ass off to that song.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 20:41
I’ll nominate my left-field hero Jandek

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 20:51
Thank you for contributing....I always love to read your "what you listened to," lists.  Smile
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 21:24
@Raff: I am sorry you feel this way, but I do understand. I am not so much into the singer songwriter genre, and as I was going through the selections, I was also feeling a certain degree of sameness. That said, I enjoyed your selections, particularly the Guccini song without having read a translation. And in general, there is a different vibe with most of the non-English songs. Much of my enjoyment in music is just the sounds and I generally don't pay much attention to lyrics. Currently, most of my listening is in the background as it is because I have been busy with work, so lyrics tend to be a distractions. For me, lyrics work best as 'impressions' so usually full stories don't necessarily work for me. I do wonder if I can fairly evaluate a selection on how it is in the singer songwriter genre, or I would most likely evaluate the song from the music and sounds, so not so much the lyrical content. 

In a somewhat related note, many of these selections seem quite introspective or serious. I guess that is what should be expected though Nickie welcomed humor and novelty. To that end, breaking the rules in having already put up three songs, I am tossing out a few more selections, but with humor and novelty. Of course, the irony is that lyrics is key in humorous selections.

First up, is Tom Lehrer. I think his two best known songs are"Masochism Tango" and "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park", so I'll skip those two. And go with something more appropriate with my occupation and forum moniker, "New Math". The first part is a spoken intro, but he does get into some singing with an accurate solution to a subtraction problem (both in base ten in the New Math style and then in base 8!).

Then, I should add, its hard to find some of favorites without some off color language. But, I am keeping this clean. Usually, not clean, is Tim Minchin. Some of his stuff would fit in with the Do You Believe in the Afterlife thread. In particular, "Ten Foot Cock and 100 Virgins".  So, here is his love song "You Grew on Me".

Finally, Steve Martin. I think most here would know he's a very talented banjo player and he has won a Grammy for best bluegrass. This one is fun.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 21:32
Tom Lehrer! Awesome!
New Math is an old favorite.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 21:43
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

@Raff: I am sorry you feel this way, but I do understand. I am not so much into the singer songwriter genre, and as I was going through the selections, I was also feeling a certain degree of sameness. That said, I enjoyed your selections, particularly the Guccini song without having read a translation. And in general, there is a different vibe with most of the non-English songs. Much of my enjoyment in music is just the sounds and I generally don't pay much attention to lyrics. Currently, most of my listening is in the background as it is because I have been busy with work, so lyrics tend to be a distractions. For me, lyrics work best as 'impressions' so usually full stories don't necessarily work for me. I do wonder if I can fairly evaluate a selection on how it is in the singer songwriter genre, or I would most likely evaluate the song from the music and sounds, so not so much the lyrical content. 

In a somewhat related note, many of these selections seem quite introspective or serious. I guess that is what should be expected though Nickie welcomed humor and novelty. To that end, breaking the rules in having already put up three songs, I am tossing out a few more selections, but with humor and novelty. Of course, the irony is that lyrics is key in humorous selections.

First up, is Tom Lehrer. I think his two best known songs are"Masochism Tango" and "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park", so I'll skip those two. And go with something more appropriate with my occupation and forum moniker, "New Math". The first part is a spoken intro, but he does get into some singing with an accurate solution to a subtraction problem (both in base ten in the New Math style and then in base 8!).

Then, I should add, its hard to find some of favorites without some off color language. But, I am keeping this clean. Usually, not clean, is Tim Minchin. Some of his stuff would fit in with the Do You Believe in the Afterlife thread. In particular, "Ten Foot Cock and 100 Virgins".  So, here is his love song "You Grew on Me".

Finally, Steve Martin. I think most here would know he's a very talented banjo player and he has won a Grammy for best bluegrass. This one is fun.

Yes, indeed!  Novelty is welcome and thank you for the comic relief!  I do not know Tim Minchin, so looking forward to that.  I do know a lot of Tom Lehrer, he lectured at University of California, Santa Cruz, from 1972 to 2001 on mathematics and musical theater.   I remember the Vatican Rag the best.  LOL
And Steve Martin, yes wonderful musician, author, comedian.  A true Renaissance man.  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 22:06
More thoughts on Lewian's and George's and also new to the fray, The Dark Elf & HolyMoly:

Lewian:  Blumfeld, “Eintragung ins Nichts” (a zen entry, in other words, not an entry, but wanted to share).  Pretty upbeat, despite the fact that it’s sort of about there’s nothing we can really do about our existence, in some ways (other than enjoy it, hopefully).  Good mover, as I would say, catchy.

George:  Tom Lehrer “New Math”  He was so hilarious!   And right on, too.  😊  Tim Minchin “You Grew On Me”  I love funny songs!  And so relatable, falling for the wrong person.  We’ve all done it, most likely.  I know I have.  Steve Martin “Late for School” We carried him on our buses, thanks to our lead driver, Jack Lapp.  Class act on all levels.  Loved hearing the dogs barking in the song.  Sounds like one of those nightmares about school.   

The Dark Elf: John Prine “Paradise”  Wonderful song by a true American original.  Jim Croce “Time In A Bottle,” such a sad story with him, he was poised so perfectly in those times and died so young.  Prescient, that he wrote this beautiful song.  Son McLean “Vincent.”  Another gorgeous song, telling the story of Vincent Van Gogh.  I know all three of these, but I’m old!  I hope that others discover these gems because you posted them here.

Holy Moly:  Jandek “Down In A Mirror”  Wow!  A spooky song!  The guitar kind of almost off key and so fitting for the ambience this guy is creating.  Great atmosphere, well done.  

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 08:01
Here's another one I love. Martyn Bates: First and Last of February.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 08:18
Additional music added by
Lewian:  .  Martyn Bates “First and Last of February” Very different feel to this one, the production has a sort of psych wash of sound going on, will be looking into more of his music.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 08:25
A reminder to all that I will craft the poll for voting tomorrow, please get any new nominees in today if you can and also make your final selection of your choice for the poll and let me know.
List of Contributors So Far (if I only use your forum name and you'd like me to use your real name, let me know for certain what that name is, sorry, my brain only seems capable of learning one or two a day from the aliases).  You may want to just quote this post and add your nominee when you are ready, I'll add in to here from regular posts with final nominees if that is easier for you, as well.

Nickie Richard Shindell "Wisteria"

Logan (Greg): Nick Drake “Fruit Tree”  

Scott: Bob Seger “Glenn Song”  

George: Mark Eitzel “If You Have to Ask”  

Meltdowner (Sam)   "Jorge Palma - Estrela do Mar"

Lewian  Surfjan Stevens “Should Have Known Better”  

Lorenzo: Francesco De Gregori “Rumore di niente” 

Mike: Fred Eaglesmith “Soda Machine” 

Suitkees: Lluis Llach's L'Estaca

The Dark Elf (Greg): 

Holy Moly

Cristi: Frankie Miller “With You In Mind”