Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Poll Question: Hey Mister, sing me a story!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.57%]
1 [2.86%]
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.71%]
1 [2.86%]
6 [17.14%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 21:59
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I may change my mind, but if I don't post again by poll opening, put in Mark Eitzel as my choice.

Nickie: Of the three artists, Richard Shindell I liked the most.
And of his three songs, Transit. His voice reminded me a bit of James Maynard Keenan of Tool. The song itself was quite vivid and I paid attention to the lyrics in a second lesson. I imagined this as something that could be animated done in a hand-drawn in colored pencil style.

Your selection duly entered, George.  And edited to add that I can change that tomorrow, should you change your mind.

Glad you like Richard Shindell.  That "Transit," piece is the first one I heard from him, I think it's stunning, but I wasn't sure if in this category, it wasn't maybe too long.  D'oh!  This is a prog site.  I am going to stick with "Wisteria," but glad to have brought his music to some attention here.  Smile

Edited by Snicolette - July 31 2020 at 22:15
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 02:49
i aologize for the delay, 

my nomination is

FRANCESCO DE GREGORI: RUMORE DI NIENTE
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 06:11
In my original post I wrote, "So here are my three choices: Nick Drake's "Fruit Tree" (my nomination), Cat Stevens' "Trouble" (which I wish I could also nominate) and Serge Gainsbourg's "L'hôtel particulier"...", and Nick Drake's "Fruit Tree" remains my nomination in case it was felt that it needed further confirmation.

By the way, since it was asked, I do prefer to be called Greg in conversation (I like that personal touch), but since, say, The Dark Elf is also Greg, Logan works better in some instances to differentiate me from other Gregs. Logan is both a Logan's Run reference and a corruption on Log-in name.

Edited by Logan - August 01 2020 at 06:12
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 07:47
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

i aologize for the delay, 

my nomination is

FRANCESCO DE GREGORI: RUMORE DI NIENTE
  No need to apologize!  All updated.  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 07:49
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

In my original post I wrote, "So here are my three choices: Nick Drake's "Fruit Tree" (my nomination), Cat Stevens' "Trouble" (which I wish I could also nominate) and Serge Gainsbourg's "L'hôtel particulier"...", and Nick Drake's "Fruit Tree" remains my nomination in case it was felt that it needed further confirmation.

By the way, since it was asked, I do prefer to be called Greg in conversation (I like that personal touch), but since, say, The Dark Elf is also Greg, Logan works better in some instances to differentiate me from other Gregs. Logan is both a Logan's Run reference and a corruption on Log-in name.
  Hello Greg (although I may still call you Logan, for the reason you mentioned).  All updated.  

Just waiting on a few more to open the voting, will be checking in if I can before I leave, but will certainly be back in afternoon my time.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 09:29
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Hello Greg (although I may still call you Logan, for the reason you mentioned).  All updated.  

Just waiting on a few more to open the voting, will be checking in if I can before I leave, but will certainly be back in afternoon my time.

Speaking of other Gregs, the other Greg with Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle and Don McLean's Vincent were with the Cat Stevens and Drake choices the first four that sprang to mind. I had written a longer post knowing what your subject would be the day before you put up the poll, but knew it would be unfair to mention so many heavy-hitters, and I knew Greg liked that Nick Drake. Neil Young, Leonard Cohen (brilliant wordsmith), John Denver and Donovan were some others I considered. I didn't want to shy away from some bigger names this round even if familiarity meant that my choice might get less votes. I almost wet with Cat Stevens' "Father and Son" as an alternate, but "Trouble" means so very much to me because of how it used in Harold & Maude (which I first saw as a child). I so love that film and the closing sequence is very powerful to me. I've always wanted that Jag before it became a hearse. My mother's neighbour has a car like it. Cool that you met Bud Cort.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 09:38

Speaking of other Gregs, the other Greg with Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle and Don McLean's Vincent were with the Cat Stevens and Drake choices the first four that sprang to mind. I had written a longer post knowing what your subject would be the day before you put up the poll, but knew it would be unfair to mention so many heavy-hitters, and I knew Greg liked that Nick Drake. Neil Young, Leonard Cohen (brilliant wordsmith), John Denver and Donovan were some others I considered. I didn't want to shy away from some bigger names this round even if familiarity meant that my choice might get less votes. I almost wet with Cat Stevens' "Father and Son" as an alternate, but "Trouble" means so very much to me because of how it used in Harold & Maude (which I first saw as a child). I so love that film and the closing sequence is very powerful to me. I've always wanted that Jag before it became a hearse. My mother's neighbour has a car like it. Cool that you met Bud Cort.

I think we ALL wanted that Jag, even with it being the hearse (or maybe especially?  Wonder if someone has it stored somewhere)!  Remember the iconic story of Neil Young arriving in Hollywood driving a hearse?  Just because someone was more known, shouldn't really be a deterrent in this one, it will keep my personal vote away, as it has for the others.  I like to elevate the lesser knowns no matter what, but there are many here who probably haven't been exposed to this style anyway, or, in my case, the Italian and German contenders.  
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 09:43

I've always loved this from Cat Steven. Splendid story telling...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 09:53
^ I love that Cat Stevens song.

^^ Yep, the hearse with Ontario (Canada) license plates in Hollywood. America could have paid tribute to the incident with "A Hearse with No Name", except that Young's hearse was named Mort (which is a play on death/dead).

"I've been through the desert on a hearse [sic] with no name..." (America).

Edited by Logan - August 01 2020 at 09:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 09:57

^ I love that Cat Stevens song.

^^ Yep, the hearse with Ontario (Canada) license plates in Hollywood. America could have paid tribute to the incident with "A Hearse with No Name", except that Young's hearse was named Mort (which is a play on death/dead).

"I've been through the desert on a hearse [sic] with no name..." (America).

♪♪♪ Long may Mort run ♪♪♪
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:20
Fred Eaglesmith? I know that guy!
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:49
We're almost ready to get the polls open to vote, waiting on just one or two answers on final selections.  Thank you all for joining in, I've learned of some new music to pursue further, with this and every other one of these that we've done so far.  Clap
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 17:09
If it;s not too late ...one of my favorite acoustic/electric artists who died too young...love his melancholy songs....my choice.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 17:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

If it;s not too late ...one of my favorite acoustic/electric artists who died too young...love his melancholy songs....my choice.

Absolutely not too late, still waiting to hear from a couple, so will add it to the poll now.  Thanks!  I don't think I have heard of him, so looking forward to it.  Smile
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 17:55
The song "Miss Misery" was nominated for an Oscar for Good Will Hunting.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 18:14
My guy by the way is called Sufjan not Surfjan Stevens (not sure whether any of these is a proper name by good old standards...).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 18:19
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

My guy by the way is called Sufjan not Surfjan Stevens (not sure whether any of these is a proper name by good old standards...).
  Thanks for catching my typo, will go and fix it.  LOL
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 18:57

That mistake is more common than you might realize Thumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 19:03
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

That mistake is more common than you might realize Thumbs Up
  Plus, I kept perpetuating it with cutting and pasting.   
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 19:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>