Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 90125 vs Invisible Touch: Which is more proggy?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90125 vs Invisible Touch: Which is more proggy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which album is more proggy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [36.17%]
30 [63.83%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 10:52
90125 - Invisible Touch is probably the most pop thing Genesis ever did. 
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 10:57
We Can't Dance?
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 11:08
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

We Can't Dance?
Right, said Fred.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 11:51
Neither album interests me. I would rather listen to 90125 more than Invisible Touch, but to answer the original poster's question: Invisible Touch is more "proggy" for the Domino suite, The Brazilian, and the middle section of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight. It's not great prog and electronic drums haven't aged well to my ears, but it is what it is.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 00:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

So Yes and Genesis should have continued to make prog in the eighties while they went to soup kitchens during the day and worked at mcdonalds at night and recorded albums in between? Tongue

Clearly PA would have preferred that scenario.......I have said many times before that all bands should be paid for their efforts, in both these cases it took Yes and Genesis to change with the times and the cash was growing on trees for them. Progressive rock was DEAD people in the mid 80's to 90's. It was a dying formula, the good thing is that both of these excellent albums kept a lot of the prog flavor of the 70's.

It was about time these bands got the pay and recognition they deserved, the prog community was not going to make them millionaires.

I love both albums, matter of fact just the other day I spun both 90125 and IT and as much as I love 90125, I give the nod to Genesis as I think it is more proggy. Invisible Touch album cover art is more proggy too, especially the embossed feel of the jacket.

I do give the Beatles credit for not going 100% progressive/prog as they knew they would lose the girl factor in their popularity....and lose a lot of money.
The point though is that Genesis and Yes don't do good pop. If I wanted good pop in the eighties I would've gone Talking Heads, U2, Crowded House, Kate Bush and a few other bands before going to Genesis and Yes and stuck to Neo Prog bands like Marillion for my Prog addition. Don't decry Genesis and Yes making good money in the eighties via the pop route though. Good luck to them.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 02:06
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

We Can't Dance?
Right, said Fred.

Who were arguably better than Genesis in the 80's
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 02:21
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So Yes and Genesis should have continued to make prog in the eighties while they went to soup kitchens during the day and worked at mcdonalds at night and recorded albums in between? Tongue

Clearly PA would have preferred that scenario.......I have said many times before that all bands should be paid for their efforts, in both these cases it took Yes and Genesis to change with the times and the cash was growing on trees for them. Progressive rock was DEAD people in the mid 80's to 90's. It was a dying formula, the good thing is that both of these excellent albums kept a lot of the prog flavor of the 70's.

It was about time these bands got the pay and recognition they deserved, the prog community was not going to make them millionaires.

I love both albums, matter of fact just the other day I spun both 90125 and IT and as much as I love 90125, I give the nod to Genesis as I think it is more proggy. Invisible Touch album cover art is more proggy too, especially the embossed feel of the jacket.

I do give the Beatles credit for not going 100% progressive/prog as they knew they would lose the girl factor in their popularity....and lose a lot of money.
The point though is that Genesis and Yes don't do good pop. 

Tell that to the millions of pop fans who bought Land Of Confusion, Owner Of A Lonely Heart, In Too Deep, and Leave It in droves. Imo Yes and especially Genesis were excellent at making pop music in the 80s.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 03:09
I think Genesis s/t and 90125 could be good rivals.
I haven’t listened to the IT album for many years, though I flogged it to death during the late-80’s. Loved it almost as much as Nursery Cryme !!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 03:25
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I haven’t listened to the IT album for many years, though I flogged it to death during the late-80’s. Loved it almost as much as Nursery Cryme !!

I didn't hate IT when I first heard it. I was pleased to see my favourite band having such success. These days, I think the album is an abberation.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 06:43
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Neither album interests me. I would rather listen to 90125 more than Invisible Touch, but to answer the original poster's question: Invisible Touch is more "proggy" for the Domino suite, The Brazilian, and the middle section of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight. It's not great prog and electronic drums haven't aged well to my ears, but it is what it is.

Exactly.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 07:02

To be honest, I agree. I like everything Genesis has done, but I prefer the proggier moments.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 09:04

To be honest, I agree. I like everything Genesis has done, but I prefer the proggier moments.

Me too. It's too bad Genesis were never very popular. Wink
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 09:49
Both aren’t the best studio albums by ever band but on a personal level it’s 90125 takes the vote
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 15:17

I never looked at Genesis ‘selling out’ - I believe the guys made a compromise - they were in the ‘big league’ - it was the 80’s, not many folks could bother listening to songs in 13/8 so Genesis made solid Pop songs and threw in occasional Prog pieces, albeit, accessible 80’s Prog (not Neo-Prog).
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 18:13
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

We Can't Dance?
Right, said Fred.

I'll buy that argument. Since Right, said Fred was a 90's thing, the sound of nothing they made in the 80's was so much more enjoyable than 80's Genesis. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 19:48

I never looked at Genesis ‘selling out’ - I believe the guys made a compromise - they were in the ‘big league’ - it was the 80’s, not many folks could bother listening to songs in 13/8 so Genesis made solid Pop songs and threw in occasional Prog pieces, albeit, accessible 80’s Prog (not Neo-Prog).

I know. That was supposed to be a little "in joke" between myself and Father Christmas who seemed to suggest Rush were never that popular in another thread. I was just trying to have a little fun with that comment. But yeah I don't think they were deliberately selling out I just think they got caught up in the pop thing. It happens. The 80's wasn't exactly the most friendly era for prog and so pop was just the genre they fell into and became comfortable with. I can't really blame them for that. It didn't work for Gentle Giant but Genesis embraced it. Good for them.

And no we shouldn't forget that even after Steve left or after and then there were three or after Duke or whenever you want to say they turned mostly pop they still did throw in the occasional prog song or have the occasional prog moment. However, it usually felt like they were just throwing a bone to their older fans. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it's pretty clear that starting with Duke in particular or maybe even Abacab prog was no longer their main focus. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 30 2020 at 19:53
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 00:02
I voted for IT although I would rather listen to 90125.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 00:03
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

yep my thoughts exactly
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 01:07
90125 got my vote here. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 01:36
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

We Can't Dance?
Right, said Fred.

I'll buy that argument. Since Right, said Fred was a 90's thing, the sound of nothing they made in the 80's was so much more enjoyable than 80's Genesis. 

Yes fair shout, although I didn't say RSF made any music in the 80's, I was merely suggesting what they did do was better than Genesis in the 80's. I was of course not being entirely serious..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>