Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes: Heaven & Earth (2014)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 15:45
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Well, I'm a Yes fan and the album's received a good reception from me, especially bearing in mind I'd never heard the Heaven & Earth album before today.
Never heard the album. Have tons of current music on the agenda. When I finish them I may give this a listen. I have to say Paul, only you can create a thread about something you are unfamiliar with and get responses. Rock on, man.
Well, I'm familiar with the Heaven & Earth album now, having listened to it once already. Smile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 15:46
I think the issue is that Yes is somehow incapable of realizing who their audience is and who they should be trying to appeal to. They just sound really lightweight, poppy and lack any energy or grit, live and in studio. You got Alan white drumming like hes playing along to a metronome, these overly bright and cheesy synth leads from Geoff Downes, Steve Howe (who criticized the album himself) playing all sloppy and probably yelling at someone in the crowd for having their phone out, and then poor Jon Davison who really gets the brunt of the criticism even though he sounds like hes trying much harder than everyone else. Yes fans don't listen to yes to hear this dated bright steady pop music, they wanna hear something out there that's gonna take them to another planet. It may not be the worst thing ever, but its exactly what you'd expect from this shallow imitation that the current incarnation of Yes is, passionless.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 15:55
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Very well done introduction as usual! Bravo! Clap

Thanks! It's always a fun challenge writing these song and album titles tribute threads. It's like putting an open-ended jigsaw together where there's a million and one different ways to "solve it". It's a case of how many times can I use the same group of Yes album titles to tell a different story. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 16:02
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I think the issue is that Yes is somehow incapable of realizing who their audience is and who they should be trying to appeal to. They just sound really lightweight, poppy and lack any energy or grit, live and in studio. You got Alan white drumming like hes playing along to a metronome, these overly bright and cheesy synth leads from Geoff Downes, Steve Howe (who criticized the album himself) playing all sloppy and probably yelling at someone in the crowd for having their phone out, and then poor Jon Davison who really gets the brunt of the criticism even though he sounds like hes trying much harder than everyone else. Yes fans don't listen to yes to hear this dated bright steady pop music, they wanna hear something out there that's gonna take them to another planet. It may not be the worst thing ever, but its exactly what you'd expect from this shallow imitation that the current incarnation of Yes is, passionless.

That's an interesting point of view. If we all liked the Heaven & Earth album then there wouldn't be much for us to talk about. Smile
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 16:46
Very disappointed when I bought it on release day. Lacked substance and whilst a few tracks are not too bad, several of the others are dire. Left it alone for a while and then returned to it a few months ago in the hope my high expectations affected my judgement unduly and it was actually okay. Wrong..... it really is poor. Such a shame it seems likely to be their last new studio release (as it was Squire's unfortunately) unless Howe and the crew have one last attempt to leave on a high!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 17:05
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Very disappointed when I bought it on release day. Lacked substance and whilst a few tracks are not too bad, several of the others are dire. Left it alone for a while and then returned to it a few months ago in the hope my high expectations affected my judgement unduly and it was actually okay. Wrong..... it really is poor. Such a shame it seems likely to be their last new studio release (as it was Squire's unfortunately) unless Howe and the crew have one last attempt to leave on a high!

My thumbs up for Heaven & Earth appears to be outnumbered by a general thumbs down at the moment. The album had me hooked right from the first listen today, although it doesn't quite reach the heights of The Ladder album for me. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 21:51

My thumbs up for Heaven & Earth appears to be outnumbered by a general thumbs down at the moment. The album had me hooked right from the first listen today, although it doesn't quite reach the heights of The Ladder album for me. Smile

Well after 620 ratings  it ended up at 2.34....what did you expect?
I only own their LP's up to and including Drama. If you take the best tracks from the next 11 albums you'd end up with a decent LP but still not as good as the earlier ones.
People must buy these later albums from once great prog bands to be 'completists'.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 23:12
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well after 620 ratings  it ended up at 2.34....what did you expect?
I only own their LP's up to and including Drama. If you take the best tracks from the next 11 albums you'd end up with a decent LP but still not as good as the earlier ones.
People must buy these later albums from once great prog bands to be 'completists'.
The Ladder album is on the top rung of The Ladder for me when it comes to Yes albums and The Yes Albums from the classic era don't even come Close to the Edge of bettering it in my view, and you know I've never been one to be swayed by the PA ratings of other members when it comes to handing out my own album ratings. Wink

Heaven & Earth is a good solid 4-star album for me, even  though it only has a lowly PA rating of 2.34.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 30 2020 at 23:13
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 23:44
It's a real shame that there has been such an unnecessary backlash against this album. Personally I like it a lot more than the dreadfully dull Fly From Here , the only remotely recent studio album that it can be compared to. Everything else is nearly 10 years earlier. Quite obviously Jon Davison had to carry the weight of writing pretty much all of it because Squire and Howe were totally clapped out at this point.
Admittedly though its not as good as the Jon Davison trilogy in Glass Hammer (If, Cor Cordium and Perilous) . Perhaps it would have been best if he had stayed put rather than trying to resurrect a band that was half way to the grave anyway.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 00:13
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It's a real shame that there has been such an unnecessary backlash against this album. Personally I like it a lot more than the dreadfully dull Fly From Here , the only remotely recent studio album that it can be compared to. Everything else is nearly 10 years earlier. Quite obviously Jon Davison had to carry the weight of writing pretty much all of it because Squire and Howe were totally clapped out at this point.

It's good to know I'm not the only one here who likes the Heaven & Earth album. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:03
It's okay, but no way is it a four star album nor is it better than Tormato or BG. It might be better than Open Your Eyes but that's about it.
Having said that, I might give it a spin later.Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:12
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It's okay, but no way is it a four star album nor is it better than Tormato or BG. It might be better than Open Your Eyes but that's about it.
Well, Heaven & Earth is easily a 4-star album for me, and life would soon get incredibly dull and boring here if we all agreed on everything. Smile

This was originally planned to be a Big Generator album tribute thread, until I realised Heaven & Earth was a much better album and decided to feature it instead. Wink
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 03:04

Well, Heaven & Earth is easily a 4-star album for me, and life would soon get incredibly dull and boring here if we all agreed on everything. Smile

This was originally planned to be a Big Generator album tribute thread, until I realised Heaven & Earth was a much better album and decided to feature it instead. Wink
Sure, you obviously prefer the "poppier" (for want of a better word) side of Yes judging by your liking of The Ladder and H&E which is fine with me but I suspect you'll be in a minority and H&E would feature near the bottom of most polls on Yes albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 03:15

Sure, you obviously prefer the "poppier" (for want of a better word) side of Yes judging by your liking of The Ladder and H&E which is fine with me but I suspect you'll be in a minority and H&E would feature near the bottom of most polls on Yes albums.
Yes, I think you're right, because I really like the "poppier" sound of the 90125 album too. Smile

Maybe I'll put together a Top 7 Yes albums poll, even though I know the Heaven & Earth album won't even be Close to the Edge of making it into the overall Top 7.  Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 03:31
Glass Hammer does whip Heaven and Earth, but I still enjoy it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 03:37
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

The best thing about it is the cover art (one of Roger Dean's best)

Not so sure about the music. It left me very underwhelmed.

Underwhelmed is how I felt. too. And I did not even expect much from this line-up. 

4 stars means essential and H&E is so far from being essential Yes listening for me. 

Someone mentioned Big Generator. At least BG was entertaining which H&E never was for me. It lacks any kind of oomph, got no punch whatsoever (if I may say so). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 05:17
^ Yes, I was that someone who mentioned Big Generator. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 07:50
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

The best thing about it is the cover art (one of Roger Dean's best)

Not so sure about the music. It left me very underwhelmed.

Underwhelmed is how I felt. too. And I did not even expect much from this line-up. 

4 stars means essential and H&E is so far from being essential Yes listening for me. 

Someone mentioned Big Generator. At least BG was entertaining which H&E never was for me. It lacks any kind of oomph, got no punch whatsoever (if I may say so). 
I think Alan White has health issues but the drumming on H&E is really basic, there are hardly any fills.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 08:02
Light of the Ages and Subway Walls are quality Yes, no matter what. To Ascend is the ‘lesser’ track for me.
And sorry Paul, but Heaven and Earth is above The Ladder for me.
Not much talk about Talk either.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 08:20
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Light of the Ages and Subway Walls are quality Yes, no matter what. To Ascend is the ‘lesser’ track for me.
And sorry Paul, but Heaven and Earth is above The Ladder for me.
Not much talk about Talk either.

Yes, naturally you'd ascend The Ladder between Heaven & Earth to gain the Keys to Ascension, so no need to apologise. Smile

I haven't listened to the Talk album yet, but I'll Talk about it when I've listened to it. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>