Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes: Heaven & Earth (2014)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 08:27
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Light of the Ages and Subway Walls are quality Yes, no matter what. To Ascend is the ‘lesser’ track for me.
And sorry Paul, but Heaven and Earth is above The Ladder for me.
Not much talk about Talk either.

Yes, naturally you'd ascend The Ladder between Heaven & Earth to gain the Keys to Ascension, so no need to apologise. Smile

I haven't listened to the Talk album yet, but I'll Talk about it when I've listened to it. Smile
I like Talk, "I Am Waiting" is the best Rabin-era song imo. Blows H&E out of the water.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 08:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Light of the Ages and Subway Walls are quality Yes, no matter what. To Ascend is the ‘lesser’ track for me.

Yes, naturally you'd ascend The Ladder between Heaven & Earth to gain the Keys to Ascension, so no need to apologise. Smile

I haven't listened to the Talk album yet, but I'll Talk about it when I've listened to it. Smile
I like Talk, "I Am Waiting" is the best Rabin-era song imo. Blows H&E out of the water.
In that case, I'll make the Talk album my next featured Yes album. Thumbs Up
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 09:55

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

In that case, I'll make the Talk album my next featured Yes album. Thumbs Up
Clap
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 10:29
I HATE "Believe Again". I've thankfully forgotten how any of the other songs sounded as I haven't heard the album since the time of its release and really don't want to refresh my memory; I only remember it being painfully mediocre and seeming twice as long as it actually is (and not in a good way).

Edited by Mirakaze - July 31 2020 at 10:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 10:51
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I HATE "Believe Again". I've thankfully forgotten how any of the other songs sounded as I haven't heard the album since the time of its release and really don't want to refresh my memory; I only remember it being painfully mediocre and seeming twice as long as it actually is (and not in a good way).
The final Yes album moved Heaven & Earth for me, but then again, I'm easily pleased. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 15:03
Heaven and Earth may not be looked favourably upon by the masses, but I find this album brings a bit of balance into my life. Heck, I expected more from Yes, the Dean artwork suggested something really special, but taken for what it is (a plodding slow-paced sap-fest) I enjoy it regardless.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 15:36

Heaven and Earth may not be looked favourably upon by the masses, but I find this album brings a bit of balance into my life. Heck, I expected more from Yes, the Dean artwork suggested something really special, but taken for what it is (a plodding slow-paced sap-fest) I enjoy it regardless.

The Heaven & Earth album IS something special for me, and I liked it even more when I listened to the album for only the second time today. I would rank Heaven & Earth as my eighth favourite Yes album, just behind Tales from Topographic Oceans, and just in front of 90125. I really liked the sound of Jon Davison's voice too on the Heaven & Earth album. I think it's fair to say that Yes have left us with a far worthier final album to remember them by than Genesis did with Calling All Stations. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 31 2020 at 15:37
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 23:22
I wasn't really able to get into it. It just sounds uninspired, and whenever the songs may seem to start somewhat promising, when the vocals come in they drag the song down. I never liked the idea of the Fly from Here return trip thing, nor did I particularly enjoy what I heard of that one compared to the original... but if Trevor Horn were to give Heaven and Earth the same treatment I do believe he could improve it a fair bit (of course, he wouldn't have a reason to do so, since he had nothing to do with these songs to begin with).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 23:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It's a real shame that there has been such an unnecessary backlash against this album. Personally I like it a lot more than the dreadfully dull Fly From Here , the only remotely recent studio album that it can be compared to. Everything else is nearly 10 years earlier. Quite obviously Jon Davison had to carry the weight of writing pretty much all of it because Squire and Howe were totally clapped out at this point.
Admittedly though its not as good as the Jon Davison trilogy in Glass Hammer (If, Cor Cordium and Perilous) . Perhaps it would have been best if he had stayed put rather than trying to resurrect a band that was half way to the grave anyway.

I actually found Fly from Here much better than this one, and I liked Benoit's singing much better too. Though mostly what I liked from that album were songs actually written 20 years earliear.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 00:44
Fly From Here should never have been tampered with. The original is fine as it is.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 17:00
I listened to Union yesterday and it is a stronger album than Heaven and Earth.
But I’ll be there to testify, Saving My Heart is absolute rubbish, one of the worst songs in my collection. Like Nickelback bad
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 17:05

But I’ll be there to testify, Saving My Heart is absolute rubbish, one of the worst songs in my collection. Like Nickelback bad

Still better than anything Nickelback ever did. LOL

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 18:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Still better than anything Nickelback ever did. LOL

Nope. Just as dire. No redeeming anything, just 4 and half minutes of my life I’ll never get back.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 14:23
YES - Heaven & Earth interviews

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:01
^ Thanks for posting this - never knew it existed.
It is something new and different, I agree with their sentiments.
Of course the band will talk up their latest work, and we need to remember that they aren’t 20-something year olds, their getting on, and what they have given us is a perfectly fine album. No Relayer, but still distinctively Yes, and peff to the naysayers, it is a rather special album to me.

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 26 2020 at 03:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:12

^ Thanks for posting this - never knew it existed.
It is something new and different, I agree with their sentiments.
Of course the band will talk up their latest work, and we need to remember that they aren’t 20-something year olds, their getting on, and what they have given us is a perfectly fine album. No Relayer, but still distinctively Yes, and peff to the naysayers, it is a rather special album to me.

I actually prefer the Heaven & Earth album to the Relayer album and the album is a final fitting tribute to Chris Squire and Yes - a band that's now been around six times longer than the Beatles. Thumbs Up Heart
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:20
^ No, sorry, Relayer is better by light years, doesn’t mean Heaven and Earth is bad by any stretch, but different. And Squire still had it. Great bass, as always.
Paul, you need to listen to Squackett ‘A Life within a Day’. Really good album there. Squire and Hackett. We are very lucky projects like this existed.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:21

I actually prefer the Heaven & Earth album to the Relayer album and the album is a final fitting tribute to Chris Squire and Yes - a band that's now been around six times longer than the Beatles. Thumbs Up Heart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:31
^ Yes, it's true. Unbelievable as it may seem, Heaven & Earth and Relayer are both 4-stars albums for me, but Heaven & Earth is the album I'd much rather choose to listen to anytime. Relayer isn't even listed in my Top 10 Yes albums, but Heaven & Earth is #8. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:32

^ No, sorry, Relayer is better by light years, doesn’t mean Heaven and Earth is bad by any stretch, but different. And Squire still had it. Great bass, as always.
Paul, you need to listen to Squackett ‘A Life within a Day’. Really good album there. Squire and Hackett. We are very lucky projects like this existed.

I posted the Squackett album on my Chris Squire tribute thread, and you're right, it's a really good album. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>