Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes: Heaven & Earth (2014)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 06:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

If you wonder why I like Heaven & Earth much more than the classic Relayer album, I just find Heaven & Earth to be more melodic and easy to listen to than Relayer. Smile

is that it?
 Evil Smile
Do you want me to write a 1000 word essay on why I love the Heaven & Earth album? Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 07:02

If you wonder why I like Heaven & Earth much more than the classic Relayer album, I just find Heaven & Earth to be more melodic and easy to listen to than Relayer. Smile

is that it?
I've heard cheesy AOR more interesting than H&E. Evil Smile
Well, that's "Your Prerogative", and you'll be relieved to see I haven't posted the Britney Spears video again. Smile

that's your argument? 
BTW, I don't find Relayer to be a difficult listen. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 07:04

is that it?
 Evil Smile
Do you want me to write a 1000 word essay on why I love the Heaven & Earth album? Smile
No thanks. LOL

There's only way to settle this - FIGHT!!!

Seriously, Relayer is probably Yes' most challenging album, particularly Soundchaser. Paul obviously prefers the "poppier" side of Yes as evidenced on The Ladder, Fly From Here and HaE. That's perfectly fine but he's always going to be in a minority as far as Yes albums are concerned. I suspect in a poll of Yes fans, HaE is going to be battling with Open Your Eyes for the wooden spoon.

Personally I don't dislike HaE, I just find it uninspired and lifeless compared to the 70s classics. Each to his own.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 07:08

is that it?
 Evil Smile

You still have not done it with one sentence. LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 07:16
Chopper has summed up my thoughts on Yes perfectly:- Relayer for me is challenging and difficult to listen to, whereas Heaven & Earth is "poppier" and much more approachable and easy to listen to. I'm sorry it's not a 1000 word dissertation on the subject, but that sums up my thoughts on the two opposing Yes albums in a nutshell. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 07:40

Chopper has summed up my thoughts on Yes perfectly:- Relayer for me is challenging and difficult to listen to, whereas Heaven & Earth is "poppier" and much more approachable and easy to listen to. I'm sorry it's not a 1000 word dissertation on the subject, but that sums up my thoughts on the two opposing Yes albums in a nutshell. Smile

he also said the album is "uninspired and lifeless". You forgot about that... LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 07:46

he also said the album is "uninspired and lifeless". You forgot about that... LOL
Yes, Chopper said "I just find it uninspired and lifeless" which is his own personal view of Heaven & Earth, which is fair enough, but I have a different view. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 07:48

Yes, Chopper said "I just find it uninspired and lifeless" which is his own personal view of Heaven & Earth, which is fair enough, but I have a different view. Smile

you twisted his words as to make his comments positive. Not cool, man, not cool. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 08:29
^ That makes no sense whatsoever. I haven't "twisted" Chopper's words at all because I copied and pasted them straight from his text. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 08:36

you twisted his words as to make his comments positive. Not cool, man, not cool. LOL
No he didn't really, I was trying to explain why Paul prefers HaE to Relayer and he has quoted that. Now it so happens that my opinion differs and I think it's kind of a shame that he prefers the insipid HaE to the wondrousness of Relayer LOL but it's his opinion and I respect that.
It might be better if you did the same so you two can stop arguing.

Edited by chopper - August 26 2020 at 08:36
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 08:43
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

No he didn't really, I was trying to explain why Paul prefers HaE to Relayer and he has quoted that. Now it so happens that my opinion differs and I think it's kind of a shame that he prefers the insipid HaE to the wondrousness of Relayer LOL but it's his opinion and I respect that.

He sometimes brings out the worst of me LOL
He picks on me, I pick on him, sometimes I just can't help it. (Especially when he says recent albums from Yes are better than classic Yes.)

Edited by Cristi - August 26 2020 at 08:43
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 08:55

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

He sometimes brings out the worst of me LOL
He picks on me, I pick on him, sometimes I just can't help it. (Especially when he says recent albums from Yes are better than classic Yes.)
Well I'm with you on the classic Yes but we can't all like the same thing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:00
^ I'm not picking on you at all.  I don't know why you can't just accept that I prefer most of the recent albums by Yes to the classic Relayer album? Wacko

As Chopper says, we all have our own differing opinions when It comes to the multifaceted world of prog. Smile

I generally find people who agree with me to be very agreeable, but ironically, I also find people who disagree with me to be very agreeable too, and that includes you. I don't know whether you've noticed, but I always thank you for your posts every time, even when you disagree with me, which is most of the time.  Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:06

^ I'm not picking on you at all.  I don't know why you can't just accept that I prefer most of the recent albums by Yes to the classic Relayer album? Wacko

As Chopper says, we all have our own differing opinions when It comes to the multifaceted world of prog. Smile

Its not that I don't accept your opinion, but it feels like you're trying to impose your point of view on me, you said it yourself you want to change people's opinion on new Yes. Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:12
^ It's not about trying to impose a point of view. The whole point of an album tribute thread like this one is to share a favourite album with other PA members and hope that they'll like the album too, but if they don't like the album, then that's okay too. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 00:41
Yes were heavily influenced by the fusion scene when they made Relayer and the reason that Wakeman jumped ship was that he wasn't into it. For me Gates Of Delirium is in the top 3 prog tracks of all time along with Suppers Ready and Karn Evil 9. The problem for me is Sound Chaser . I just find this boring while To Be Over is just very uninspired . GoD still puts it in my top 5 Yes albums.  H&E is okay but then as I said before I have a lot of respect for Jon Davison and it took Glass Hammer a long time to get over his departure (which they have finally done with their brilliant latest album) . I would still have Davison in any current Yes line up because he can write good stuff. Check out If and Cor Cordium for great examples. He is capable of bringing creativity and ideas to Yes.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 01:15
Man, if only this current version of Yes could aspire to write material half as good as Glass Hammer, then it would be worth it.
Perilous, baby !! What Yes should sound like.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 17:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yes were heavily influenced by the fusion scene when they made Relayer and the reason that Wakeman jumped ship was that he wasn't into it. For me Gates Of Delirium is in the top 3 prog tracks of all time along with Suppers Ready and Karn Evil 9. The problem for me is Sound Chaser . I just find this boring while To Be Over is just very uninspired . GoD still puts it in my top 5 Yes albums.  H&E is okay but then as I said before I have a lot of respect for Jon Davison and it took Glass Hammer a long time to get over his departure (which they have finally done with their brilliant latest album) . I would still have Davison in any current Yes line up because he can write good stuff. Check out If and Cor Cordium for great examples. He is capable of bringing creativity and ideas to Yes.

I could actually do without Relayer, because I don't really like Sound Chaser nor To Be Over either, and even though Gates of Delirium is indeed one of the best songs I can think of, I much prefer the live version on Symphonic Live... the band really blends beautifully with the orchestra, and they both really complement each other, unlike some other orchestrated songs that just sound like the band on one side and the orchestra on the other. Sound Chaser actually sounds better of the live versions I have heard, but I still can't get past those cha cha cha's. And To Be Over is one of the most frustrating songs I can think of, because the main melody is actually a really wonderful and special one, but the way they brought about the song just didn't work for me... too long, I think, and perhaps Moraz's keyboards weren't the best to bring that melody to life... I much prefer the instrumental acoustic versions Howe has played... I actually really wish they had played this one with the whole band on the acoustic sets they did in the 00's.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 01:05
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I could actually do without Relayer, because I don't really like Sound Chaser nor To Be Over either, and even though Gates of Delirium is indeed one of the best songs I can think of, I much prefer the live version on Symphonic Live... the band really blends beautifully with the orchestra, and they both really complement each other, unlike some other orchestrated songs that just sound like the band on one side and the orchestra on the other. Sound Chaser actually sounds better of the live versions I have heard, but I still can't get past those cha cha cha's. And To Be Over is one of the most frustrating songs I can think of, because the main melody is actually a really wonderful and special one, but the way they brought about the song just didn't work for me... too long, I think, and perhaps Moraz's keyboards weren't the best to bring that melody to life... I much prefer the instrumental acoustic versions Howe has played... I actually really wish they had played this one with the whole band on the acoustic sets they did in the 00's.

yep that Symphonic version with the orchestra is brilliant , probably one of my favourite DVD's.
The version on YESSHOWS is also really good.
gudbuytjane View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gudbuytjane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 11:13
Although I've made a project of giving the Benoit and Jon D. years another listen, on their own merits, I'm not a fan of HaE (or either flavour of Fly From Here, either). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345