Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Audience with AUDIENCE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Audience with AUDIENCE
    Posted: July 30 2020 at 09:30
Friends, prog fans and countrymen, lend me your ears for an audience with AUDIENCE, one of the finest Jazz-Rock bands ever to emerge from this green and pleasant land of England. AUDIENCE are a band who deserve to be heard by a wider audience. Tell all of your friends about them and tell your FRIEND'S FRIEND'S FRIEND too. If you've ever wanted to admire the view from THE HOUSE ON THE HILL, then look no further than the rousing and uplifting music of AUDIENCE. This early 1970's band are still ALIVE & KICKIN' & SCREAMIN' & SHOUTIN' well into the 21st century with their marvellous UNCHAINED melodies. AUDIENCE are a much-under-appreciated band who deserve to be legends in their lifetime, unlike some of today's modern bands, who only deserve to be legends in their own LUNCH-time. Their four rare studio albums are worthy of being passed down through the generations to your children, and to your children's children's children too, and if you don't already have a son or daughter, then now might be as good a time as any to take your wife upstairs and make one. Wink

AUDIENCE ALBUMS

1969: Audience
1971: The House on the Hill
1972: Lunch

1973: You Can't Beat 'em (Compilation)
1992: Unchained (Compilation) 
2005: Alive & Kickin' & Screamin' & Shoutin' (Live)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 19 2020 at 12:17
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 09:42
AUDIENCE - Audience (1969) - Side One

1. Banquet

2. Poet

3. Waverley Stage Coach

4. River Boat Queen

5. Harlequin

6. Heaven Was an Island

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:09
AUDIENCE - Audience (1969) - Side Two

7. Too Late I'm Gone

8. Maidens Cry

9. Pleasant Convalescence

10. Leave It Unsaid

11. Man on Box

12. House on the Hill

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:13
AUDIENCE - Audience (1969) - Bonus Tracks

13. Paper Round

14. The Going Song

15. Troubles

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:43
Great... worthy of a larger audience!!!
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 13:55
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Great... worthy of a larger audience!!!

Haa! Good one, and I hope this thread helps win Audience some more admirers, and that they'll tell their friends and their Friend's Friend's Friend all about them and shout it from the rooftop of The House on the Hill. The videos for the second Audience album are on their way, just as soon as I've had my Lunch. Wink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 14:40
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

1970: Friend's Friend's Friend

two excellent albums, but TBH, the rest is generally best forgotten.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 16:05
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

1970: Friend's Friend's Friend

two excellent albums, but TBH, the rest is generally best forgotten.
Yes, those two particular albums are definitely the best audience to my ears. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 21:10
I also like the first one.....Lunch was a bit stale and unappetizing.  Wink
I also have the vinyl You Can't beat Them which is a fair compilation...deserves more than 3 stars imho.
I bought House On The Hill in 1972 (came out in 71) at college when I lived alone in a studio apt, and played it quite a bit. I started buying quite a bit of unusual prog and prog related bands in that year.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 21:19
I've heard some songs on youtube and maybe on online radio. I remember them sounding quite a bit like VDGG(mainly because of the sax). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 23:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I also like the first one.....Lunch was a bit stale and unappetizing.  Wink

Yes, the first album had a good Audience and I've heard they serve a good Lunch at The House on the Hill, after my Friend's Friend's Friend told me about it. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 23:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I've heard some songs on youtube and maybe on online radio. I remember them sounding quite a bit like VDGG(mainly because of the sax). 

I like Audience FAR more than VDGG. Van der Graaf Generator have never had much of a spark for me. Smile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:41
OK, I shouldn't be too cruel with their debut album... it's OK, but pales in comparison with their next two.

And yes, I still have the If You Can't compilation vinyl as wellClap (wish I still had FFF & HotH, though)

BTW, I always thought it was Hugh Hopper (Soft Machine) that was carried out by the butler in the House on the Hill back cover. LOL

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I like Audience FAR more than VDGG. Van der Graaf Generator have never had much of a spark for me. Smile

It's a combination of Werth's vocals and Gemmel's sax, IMHO

FTM, when Jaxon got the boot from VDGG in 2007, many expected the remaining trio to fetck Keith Gemmel

Edited by Sean Trane - July 31 2020 at 02:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:19
AUDIENCE - Friend's Friend's Friend (1970)

1. Nothing You Do

2. Belladonna Moonshine

3. It Brings a Tear

4. Raid

5. Right on Their Side

6. Ebony Variations

7. Priestess

8. Friend's Friend's Friend

9. The Big Spell

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 07:07
Still great, but I don't think I'm a huge fan.The problem is that there are just too many great bands out there to get into them all. I reckon I discovered that on my "bands that could have been successful but weren't" thread...
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 07:45
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Still great, but I don't think I'm a huge fan.The problem is that there are just too many great bands out there to get into them all. I reckon I discovered that on my "bands that could have been successful but weren't" thread...

Audience were one of the first bands I discovered when I first went online in 2010 and they're still the highest House on the Hill for me amongst British Jazz-Rock bands. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 20:47
AUDIENCE - The House on the Hill (1971)

1. Jackdaw

2. You're Not Smiling

3. I Had a Dream

4. Raviole

5. Nancy

6. Eye to Eye

7. I Put a Spell on You

8. The House on the Hill

9. Indian Summer

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:23
AUDIENCE - Lunch (1972) - Side One

1. Stand by the Door

2. Seven Sore Bruises ( YouTube video unavailable)

3. Hula Girl

4. Ain't the Man You Need

5. In Accord

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:43
AUDIENCE - Lunch (1972)

6. Barracuda Dan

7. Thunder & Lightning

8. Party Games

9. Trombone Gulch

10. Buy Me an Island

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 14:14
There was a rumour that after Jim Morrison died, the rest of the Doors were keen to have Howard Werth as a replacement! Don't know if its true or if he did indeed have a 'try out' for them!! Blimey, can you imagine!!?

I love Audience too.. I don't think Werth's Voice is everyones cup of tea but I really like it and the fact that he only ever played an amplified nylon string guitar and never succumbed to steel strings or electric guitars.. well not in Audience, anyway..

I quite dig the Howard Werth and the Moonbeams lp 'King brilliant'!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>