Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 70s Bands Like Illusion, Curved Air, Earth Fire?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70s Bands Like Illusion, Curved Air, Earth Fire?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70s Bands Like Illusion, Curved Air, Earth Fire?
    Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:57
I've loved Illusion (I like Renaissance, too) for years, and only this year have really appreciated Curved Air and Earth Fire, and was wondering if you know of other 1970s bands similar.

Please post your favorite songs.. I'll do the same once I check out all the YouTube watch-list I have.

THANKS!

Edited by MortSahlFan - August 01 2020 at 12:58
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 13:05
I love all three of those bands you mentioned, so we obviously have similar tastes in great music. If you love those three bands, then I think you'll love the music of Mostly Autumn too, even though they're not a 1970's band. Smile

MOSTLY AUTUMN - Porcupine Rain

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 01 2020 at 13:05
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 13:06
Mellow Candle might interest you:

Trees:

Not my favourite Brainticket, but this might be of some interest to you:

Edited by Logan - August 01 2020 at 13:12
Just a fanboy passin' through.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 14:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Mellow Candle might interest you:

Trees:

Not my favourite Brainticket, but this might be of some interest to you:

I like them, despite only knowing a handful of their stuff.... I especially love "Silver Song"

I have a few songs by Trees, too..

You guys might like a Florida band called "Fantasy"

Edited by MortSahlFan - August 01 2020 at 14:16

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 14:20
If you like Logan's excellent choices of Mellow Candle and Trees, then you may also like the music of Spirogyra - the English Psych-Folk band, not the similarly-named American Jazz Fusion band. Smile

SPIROGYRA - Bells, Boots & Shambles (1973)

I'm glad you mentioned  the American band Fantasy. I like them too and I posted their 1970 album on my "Return to Fantasy" thread. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 01 2020 at 14:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 14:54
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

If you like Logan's excellent choices of Mellow Candle and Trees, then you may also like the music of Spirogyra - the English Psych-Folk band, not the similarly-named American Jazz Fusion band. Smile

SPIROGYRA - Bells, Boots & Shambles (1973)

I'm glad you mentioned  the American band Fantasy. I like them too and I posted their 1970 album on my "Return to Fantasy" thread. Smile

I've been a fan of Spirogyra for a while, too.. Lots of fine songs. Maybe you guys would like

Sandrose - To Take Him Away

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 15:19
Thanks for introducing me to the wonderful music of Sandrose. I'd vaguely heard of the bandname before, but this is the first time I've actually heard them in your above video, and I love it! Heart

You might like the English band Fantasy too on my "Return to Fantasy" thread. Smile

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:56
Not a 70's band but you might like White Willow, from the very first one:

Also..no female vocals but this is one of my favorite mellow things from 1975,,,,very nice...

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 17:54
I've posted this on the Renaissance fan thread, but will play it here too.  Not really "like Renaissance/Illusion", but something that a Renaissance/Illusion fan might like

Back in the lean early 1990s, this group was also recommended to fans of those classic bands.  They aren't really very prog (though they are on PA).  This one is one of my favourite by them

Edited by kenethlevine - August 01 2020 at 17:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 20:53
^ Four great selections from DrWu23 and KenethLevine. Thumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 08:46
Hi,

(sorry) dupe

Edited by moshkito - August 04 2020 at 08:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 08:49
Hi,

EARTH AND FIRE ... 

Their first 5 albums, although the earlier stuff seemed to be more centered towards the hit radio I think ... I have it all the way to GATE TO INFINITY ... 

TO THE WORLD OF THE FUTURE ... is a magnificent album ... all the way through!

I loved CURVED AIR and have everything all the way to AIRBORNE ... and love all of it ... after that I got Darryl Way's Wolf and a couple of Monkman albums ... 

I have the original RENAISSANCE (all of a sudden the names are changed!) with Keith and Jane.

And a lot of the later RENAISSANCE with Annie.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 07:06
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I've posted this on the Renaissance fan thread, but will play it here too.  Not really "like Renaissance/Illusion", but something that a Renaissance/Illusion fan might like

Back in the lean early 1990s, this group was also recommended to fans of those classic bands.  They aren't really very prog (though they are on PA).  This one is one of my favourite by them

I love Carol Harvest, especially that song.. I have a handful of mp3s, but should probably look for more.

On Jane Relf's YouTube page, there's her featuring Stairway... Some good stuff. I went through all of it yesterday.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 07:29
^ oh yeah good call on Stairway
Also, though there is little or no female vocal, have you heard any of Jim McCarty's works?  He has 3 solo albums, the first, "Out of the Dark", being wonderful.  He also did a Renaissance Illusion album called "Through the Fire which is really nice, and, in addition to Stairway, did several albums in a project called "Pilgrim" that reprised a Yardbirds song called "A Dream within a Dream" that makes you realize how ahead of their time were the Yardbirds
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 13:15

^ oh yeah good call on Stairway
Also, though there is little or no female vocal, have you heard any of Jim McCarty's works?  He has 3 solo albums, the first, "Out of the Dark", being wonderful.  He also did a Renaissance Illusion album called "Through the Fire which is really nice, and, in addition to Stairway, did several albums in a project called "Pilgrim" that reprised a Yardbirds song called "A Dream within a Dream" that makes you realize how ahead of their time were the Yardbirds

I never heard of his solo stuff when he wasn't working with a band, but I'll check some stuff out. Thanks!

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 17:56
how about Lily & Maria? their only album is from 1968, but you might love it. here the track "There'll be no Clowns tonight":

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 07:50
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

how about Lily & Maria? their only album is from 1968, but you might love it. here the track "There'll be no Clowns tonight":

Never heard of them, but I liked it very much. I'll check out some more stuff later. Thanks!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 08:55
we added Lily and Maria to prog folk fairly recently thanks to Jean (or maybe it was Friede  :))
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:30

we added Lily and Maria to prog folk fairly recently thanks to Jean (or maybe it was Friede  :))

Jean and I discovered the album by chance and loved it. It was I who suggested them.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2020 at 19:49
Mother Superior - "Just One Look" (1975)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>