Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Who: progressive band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Philrod View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Who: progressive band
    Posted: November 26 2005 at 01:58
Originally posted by acheron acheron wrote:

Zeppelin is far better than The Who... in every way

but The Who is pretty progressive

HAHAHA nice joke

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 16:28

Originally posted by Franklinstower3 Franklinstower3 wrote:

NO! the who are not progressive they were the standard blues rock band of the era who realeased a few concept albums, get over it. Nobody is saying they are a bad band you can listen to them if they arent prog you know but there is no basis to say they are prog WHATSOEVER.

How many standard blues rok bands had songs featuring influences by avant garde composers?

How many standard blues rock bands made groundbreaking concept albums?

dr_shoganai View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 15:38
they should be added
Air, fire, earth and water
Balance of change
World on the scales
On the scales.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 15:18
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

I have a nice idea, lets include The Who as Prog related, then somebody go to Pete Townsend's house and tell him:

"Hey buddy, congratulations, we tried to include you as a Prog' band, sadly you don't fit in any sub-genre, but we have to honor The Who, so we are considering you as Prog related, this means you are almost Prog'!!!!!.

Of course your band is not good enough to be considered 100% Prog. but you will have the priviledge to be side by side with Rock legends such as STYX, Super Furry Animals, Asia, Be Bop Deluxe, etc. Not many bands achieve this success, hope you're proud, imagine Foreigner and Boston couldn't achieve this honor"

Then run as fast as you can before he breaks his guitar on your head.

Iván

Actually, Townsend was always trying to get recognition as an artist, so he probably wouldn't go postal. Plus, I said he should be proto prog or prog related. Either way, he would among the likes of queen, the moody blues, some of rocks most respected acts.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 01:08

I have a nice idea, lets include The Who as Prog related, then somebody go to Pete Townsend's house and tell him:

"Hey buddy, congratulations, we tried to include you as a Prog' band, sadly you don't fit in any sub-genre, but we have to honor The Who, so we are considering you as Prog related, this means you are almost Prog'!!!!!.

Of course your band is not good enough to be considered 100% Prog. but you will have the priviledge to be side by side with Rock legends such as STYX, Super Furry Animals, Asia, Be Bop Deluxe, etc. Not many bands achieve this success, hope you're proud, imagine Foreigner and Boston couldn't achieve this honor"

Then run as fast as you can before he breaks his guitar on your head.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 23:42

I love The Who, I have all their albums and DVD's but no, they are not a Progressive Rock Band, I could give 10 reasons, but the most important is that they are already an icon of another genre, they are probably among the 5 most representative Classic Rock bands, why should we lump them in a second rate category as Prog related?

They deserve more than that, as a Who fan I would feel insuted to read they are considered related to something, almost Prog' or third class prog' in this case.

The Who must be N° 1 in their category, not N° 1,956 band in Prog Archives. Please, are The Who in the same lvel of Asia and Super Furry Animals? I already feel bad fopr Gabriel, Waters, Gilmour, and Jon Anderson being there, all of them deserve more credit.

Keith Moon and John Entwistle would not rest in peace if this crime is done.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 23:33
God no. Pete Townsend is not a prog rocker, and he's not a proto-prog rocker. He's a great rock artist. Let him alone. Don't bend the definition of prog or proto-prog to fit his stuff. Just because a rock artist creates a concept album that includes a few horns and strings doesn't mean all of a sudden he's done some prog. He just a fantastic rock artist who refuses to always stay within a limited rock context.
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 20:41
NO! the who are not progressive they were the standard blues rock band of the era who realeased a few concept albums, get over it. Nobody is saying they are a bad band you can listen to them if they arent prog you know but there is no basis to say they are prog WHATSOEVER.

Edited by Franklinstower3
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 06:01
Originally posted by Bilek Bilek wrote:

The Who gets my vote, along with, and even more than The Doors. Both bands have strong proggy characteristics, but nevertheless should be included in proto-prog section, with limitation features as Eetu Pellonpää suggested.

I agree with all albums/tracks you suggested, The Wizard. I think younger generation who thinks prog is made up of bands like Sigur Ros, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, or worse, Radiohead needs to have certain information about the roots of the genre. Not to mention the abundant number of The Who tracks covered by many bands, both prog and non-prog.

(totally agreed)

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 05:44

The Who gets my vote, along with, and even more than The Doors. Both bands have strong proggy characteristics, but nevertheless should be included in proto-prog section, with limitation features as Eetu Pellonpää suggested.

I agree with all albums/tracks you suggested, The Wizard. I think younger generation who thinks prog is made up of bands like Sigur Ros, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, or worse, Radiohead needs to have certain information about the roots of the genre. Not to mention the abundant number of The Who tracks covered by many bands, both prog and non-prog.

Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 22:08

Of course the Who will be cited more often, they were more popular and Tommy was released at the perfect time and received rave reviews, so more often than not prog bands (name a few, besides Rush) influenced by the Who will state Tommy as a bigger influence.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 18:52
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

not proto-prog as the who has not inspired any progressive bands...anyways the who got some albums that is progressive but the rest is standard rock

Any band that released a concept album or made a song longer than 10 minutes was inspired by The Who. How many prog bands have made concept albums or songs longer than 10 minutes? Exactly. The Who in a influenced the genre itself, meaning every prog band. It may sound radical, but you in a way have to admit its true.

oh please the who was not the first to release something above 10 minutes nor was they the first to release a concept album...i would only belivied that the who had an influence on some bands if they said that the who was influencal to their music becoming prog...the only ones that i have seen that have been influenced by the who  have been rock bands and punk bands

Name one rock group before The Who that made a 10 minute long suite. I challenge you. If you can I will be suprised. Sure, there were other genres that made long songs, but a rock band? As far as concept albums, the first concept album was Pet Sounds (The Beach Boys). What the Who did was bring the concept albums to new levels with storytelling and form. Before The Who concept albums just albums with ideas like linking songs (Pet Sounds) and posing as a fake band (Seargent Peppers). The Who changed this.

SF Sorrow anyone?

Yes, it is true that S.F. Sorrow by the Pretty Things was the first rock opera. But it wasn't nearly as muture or developed as Tommy.

Tommy may be more mature, but Pete Townshend will always regard SF Sorrow as the first Rock Opera.

But it all comes down to this: do prog bands cite S.F. Sorrow or Tommy as influences?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 22:55

not proto-prog as the who has not inspired any progressive bands...anyways the who got some albums that is progressive but the rest is standard rock

Any band that released a concept album or made a song longer than 10 minutes was inspired by The Who. How many prog bands have made concept albums or songs longer than 10 minutes? Exactly. The Who in a influenced the genre itself, meaning every prog band. It may sound radical, but you in a way have to admit its true.

oh please the who was not the first to release something above 10 minutes nor was they the first to release a concept album...i would only belivied that the who had an influence on some bands if they said that the who was influencal to their music becoming prog...the only ones that i have seen that have been influenced by the who  have been rock bands and punk bands

Name one rock group before The Who that made a 10 minute long suite. I challenge you. If you can I will be suprised. Sure, there were other genres that made long songs, but a rock band? As far as concept albums, the first concept album was Pet Sounds (The Beach Boys). What the Who did was bring the concept albums to new levels with storytelling and form. Before The Who concept albums just albums with ideas like linking songs (Pet Sounds) and posing as a fake band (Seargent Peppers). The Who changed this.

SF Sorrow anyone?

Yes, it is true that S.F. Sorrow by the Pretty Things was the first rock opera. But it wasn't nearly as muture or developed as Tommy.

Tommy may be more mature, but Pete Townshend will always regard SF Sorrow as the first Rock Opera.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 22:43

SF Sorrow anyone?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2005 at 23:31
Originally posted by stebo32 stebo32 wrote:

oh look... beethoven made songs over 10 minutes.. why not put HIM on prog archives!

and i strongly disagree. many bands in 1969 played songs over 10 minutes... you just dont know them

He's referring to A Quick one from 1966.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2005 at 23:29

SF Sorrow anyone?

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2005 at 20:53

oh look... beethoven made songs over 10 minutes.. why not put HIM on prog archives!

and i strongly disagree. many bands in 1969 played songs over 10 minutes... you just dont know them

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 10:35

the first rock n roll band that released a long song was really the rolling stones wich released a b-side for a single in 1964 that was pushing 9 minutes...but regardless on how long the songs are they are not prog at all...take for example wont get fooled again wich is about 8 and half minutes...you cant say it is prog just because it is a long song

Can you tell me more about this Stones song? Whats it called and were can I find it? I'm quite intrested in how it works, and if it is a suite like A Quick One.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 10:33

the first rock n roll band that released a long song was really the rolling stones wich released a b-side for a single in 1964 that was pushing 9 minutes...but regardless on how long the songs are they are not prog at all...take for example wont get fooled again wich is about 8 and half minutes...you cant say it is prog just because it is a long song

I'm not saying that any long song is prog. I'm saying that the Who revolutioized the idea longer songs with different movements aka the rock suite. This was essential for the development of art rock, thus giving the Who credit in the development of art rock.

Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 15:50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>