Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 Tangerine Dream Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 10:15
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I've never bothered finding out whether the music I hear is actually live or not. I mainly buy live albums by bands that feature original material. That's my main attraction to Ricochet and Encore - apart from them being great, I mean. But
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

[Quichotte (rereleased later as Pergamon) is a document of their 31/1/80 concert in East Berlin that also introduced Johannes Schmoelling, whose wonderful piano chops were unveiled promptly. The initial album was outstanding but the complete concert, remastered and released as CD3/4 of The Official Bootleg Box Volume Two, is even better (yes, that's an understatement).

Its funny how no two Tangerine Dream fans seem to agree with each other all that much. Even those with quite similar tastes (like perhaps Sean and myself) will choose one of the other fan's least favorite after the first five... maybe six first picks.

-Anyway, you're obviously more of a die hard fan than I am. For one I'm quite indifferent to almost 40 years of their recording career. I've only own the Quichotte LP, but it's primarely Johannes Schmoelling and his wonderful piano chops that ruins the experience for me. I found a quote that sums up how I feel about it:

...The five-minute piano solo that opens this up is not an auspicious start for Schmoelling's tenure in the band. It sounds like a cross between a mid-80s Bette Midler tune and a sitcom theme. Things only get good when the synths swallow it whole...

Yep, plus I don't enjoy Froese rocking out on his guitar 1980's style on most of the B-side either. All in all a typical "close, but no cigar" album for me.

I love Quichotte of course and gave it 5 stars LOL

EDIt - oops on checking I only went 4 stars

Edited by richardh - August 18 2022 at 10:20
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 10:57

I've never bothered finding out whether the music I hear is actually live or not. I mainly buy live albums by bands that feature original material. That's my main attraction to Ricochet and Encore - apart from them being great, I mean. But

[Quichotte (rereleased later as Pergamon) is a document of their 31/1/80 concert in East Berlin that also introduced Johannes Schmoelling, whose wonderful piano chops were unveiled promptly. The initial album was outstanding but the complete concert, remastered and released as CD3/4 of The Official Bootleg Box Volume Two, is even better (yes, that's an understatement).

Its funny how no two Tangerine Dream fans seem to agree with each other all that much. Even those with quite similar tastes (like perhaps Sean and myself) will choose one of the other fan's least favorite after the first five... maybe six first picks.

-Anyway, you're obviously more of a die hard fan than I am. For one I'm quite indifferent to almost 40 years of their recording career. I've only own the Quichotte LP, but it's primarely Johannes Schmoelling and his wonderful piano chops that ruins the experience for me. I found a quote that sums up how I feel about it:

...The five-minute piano solo that opens this up is not an auspicious start for Schmoelling's tenure in the band. It sounds like a cross between a mid-80s Bette Midler tune and a sitcom theme. Things only get good when the synths swallow it whole...

LOL That is a positively bizarre quote. (Who wrote it?) A cross "between Bette Midler and a sitcom theme"? I don't get it. Different strokes, as they say. Johannes' piano composition is hypnotic and elegant, and he rerecorded a standalone version ("Palace of Dreams") for his 2009 album A Thousand TimesClap

Johannes Schmoelling - Palace Of Dreams (Quichotte) - YouTube

Yep, plus I don't enjoy Froese rocking out on his guitar 1980's style on most of the B-side either. All in all a typical "close, but no cigar" album for me.

Again, I've never really known anyone to not like when Edgar picks up his guitar! But maybe you'd like to hear the unabridged concert? There's a lot more to it...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 14:24
Hey Rollon, Yes, I am hoping one day to find the missing music on a stand-alone disc.

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

For some reasons, with the notable exception of Ricochet, TD's live albums (usually filled with original tracks) are lamer (this is true for Encore as well).

Ricochet is only partly "live": two eight-minute-long extracts from the 23/10/75 concert at Croydon were remixed and fused with a new effects bridge, while Edgar improvised the piano part which starts Side B. Side A is not live, not one bit. Either way, it's a classic.

Encore is fantastic. Side 4 ("Desert Dream") isn't live (the band even said so), but nobody's complaining. The searing "Monolight" is worth the price of admission. Side 3, "Coldwater Canyon," was only performed in the southwestern USA. How anyone rates Encore down is beyond me.

Yes, I know about the part-live particularities of both Ricochet and Encore.

I wouldn't say I rated the latter low, but it's not nearly as rivetting as Force Majeure.
It it wasn't for FM, I'd say that TD's downwards slide started with Cyclone.

Edited by Sean Trane - August 18 2022 at 14:27
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 15:46

I wouldn't say I rated the latter low, but it's not nearly as rivetting as Force Majeure.

FM was my favorite TD album for a long time. Those two represent different eras. FM has live drums and is the second half of TD's full-on prog rock phase. Encore was the culmination of the FFB line-up. I can't compare the two aside from saying they're both essential.

LOL You must hate '80s synths as much as I love 'em.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2022 at 04:32

FM was my favorite TD album for a long time. Those two represent different eras. FM has live drums and is the second half of TD's full-on prog rock phase. Encore was the culmination of the FFB line-up. I can't compare the two aside from saying they're both essential.

Don't get me wrong, I still include Cyclone & Encore inside the good era, and don't consider Force as a Majeure sonic change. I wouldn't say that FM was a change of era.
It's just that whatever comes after either sounds like déjà-vu (or more like déjà-entendu) LOL or fails to rattle my cojones.LOL

LOL You must hate '80s synths as much as I love 'em.

It's not just the synths... I don't like much the drumming... or even Frouese's guitar intervention in the 80's
Generally , it's the whole TD 80's soundscapes that I started finding boring around the time. It had lost the magic.

It's certainly to do with my dislike of the 80's overall, but not just that.

BTW, I don't know how much their numerous film OST works provoked their sonic changes (contractual obligations to stick more with the musical zeitgeist to be chosen for the job?).
Apparently the Sorcerer thingie didn't really change their musical course, but I don't get Thief and some of their other movie collab (despite  that in Risky Business, I don't fidn't their small participation very different than what they'd done in the 70's)

It's hardly no suprise at all to me that Green Desert is the only "80's" thing I really like, since it actually dates from 10 years earlier.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2022 at 04:56

LOL That is a positively bizarre quote. (Who wrote it?) A cross "between Bette Midler and a sitcom theme"? I don't get it. Different strokes, as they say. Johannes' piano composition is hypnotic and elegant, and he rerecorded a standalone version ("Palace of Dreams") for his 2009 album A Thousand TimesClap

Someone  who goes by the "name" getitinyoursoul in the comment-section for the Quichotte-album at RYM. I fully get it, I'm afraid. Listen to Palace of Dreams from ca. 2:45 and onwards out and tell me that wouldn't make the perfect theme tune for a relatively safe and unfunny early 1980's sitcom.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2022 at 08:00

Someone  who goes by the "name" getitinyoursoul in the comment-section for the Quichotte-album at RYM. I fully get it, I'm afraid. Listen to Palace of Dreams from ca. 2:45 and onwards out and tell me that wouldn't make the perfect theme tune for a relatively safe and unfunny early 1980's sitcom.

It wouldn't. Because I've never heard it, let alone thought of it, in that context. TEHO.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2022 at 05:09
^until now.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2022 at 02:49
Well I love the intro to Quichotte and the whole album for that matter. 

I was never a fan of TD until Force Majeure and its generally the era of 1977-1987 for electronic music that I like most. That includes Neuronium, JM Jarre , Vangelis as well as TD. I never got into the whole Berlin school thing at all I'm afraid to say. Also tend to think that the use of Mellotron in electronic music is a total cop out. Hey ho.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2022 at 04:00
^ Yes I know. Our main attraction to a band like Tangerine Dream are probably very different. Pretty piano melodies such as in the intro on Quichotte is certainly not part of why I was drawn to them. Not rocking guitar solos either, that's for sure. It was mainly the sort of Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares-"journeys in sound" that interested me. I've eventually warmed up to some of their more conventional sounding albums, but much prefer their abstracted soundspaces, trips to space or whatever... over cute little sitcom themes.  

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2022 at 10:39

It was mainly the sort of Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares-"journeys in sound" that interested me.

Don't miss Raum.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 01:18

It was mainly the sort of Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares-"journeys in sound" that interested me.

Don't miss Raum.
Not bad at all. Nothing like Mysterious Semblance... really, but that's ok. No one will ever replicate that sound or feel. But In 256 Zeichen and the title track were about as great as I dared to hope for. None of the five shorter were terrible, but I think there were too many of them. A 7/10, but something like this I'd give an 8/10

A
In 256 Zeichen 19:09
Along the Canal 5:31

B
You're Always on Time 8:10
Raum 14:54

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 03:16
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Wow, surprised at the lack of love for the first four albums - by far my favorite era of the band:

1.  Zeit
2.  Atem
3.  Stratosphere
4. Alpha Centauri 
5. Electronic Meditation
6.  Ricochet
7.  Rubycon

The same but with Encore instead of Electronic Meditation (at least today)
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 16:54
Meditation is a beast.....Froese should've picked the guitar up more often!  I wish they'd have kept this lineup and instrumentation for at least one or two more albums - groovy psych-space Krautrock of the first order.

Encore, Poland and Logos are excellent all outstanding live albums, but ever since I picked up Bootleg Box, Vol. 1, I haven't even looked at another TD album......the official releases are cut-and-paste TD shows - no knocking them, they're wonderful, but the Sheffield jam and the Croydon show from the Boot Box just lay out what the TD were putting down......eye opening stuff - highly recommended.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 19:32

Don't miss Raum.
Not bad at all. Nothing like Mysterious Semblance... really, but that's ok. No one will ever replicate that sound or feel. But In 256 Zeichen and the title track were about as great as I dared to hope for. None of the five shorter were terrible, but I think there were too many of them. A 7/10, but something like this I'd give an 8/10

A
In 256 Zeichen 19:09
Along the Canal 5:31

B
You're Always on Time 8:10
Raum 14:54

It's a double album: Zeit (Time) —> Raum (Space). They're fifty years apart.

It feels more retro than I anticipated (expected) and the music's very good, the best released in a while.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 23:35

It's a double album: Zeit (Time) —> Raum (Space). They're fifty years apart.
Fine, but musically I'm not convinced. Zeit has the feel of a total piece of work, created with a mindset that unified all four sides. Raum is based on several found sketches and compositions made over decades - which must be why it lacks a genuine "concept feel" and doesn't havee the same feel of a complete experience.

-Modern day TD may superficially link Raum to Zeit all they want, I'd still argue it would be a better album with a bit of trimming. They might as well cut it down to the two "epic length" pieces and just one of the shorter ones, name it Beta Centauri - and pretend it was a continuation to Alpha Centauri - also fifty years apart.

Anyway, now I sound more negative than I rally am. I liked most of what I heard, In 256 Zeichen and the title track in particular.

It feels more retro than I anticipated (expected) and the music's very good, the best released in a while.

Yes indeed.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2022 at 10:16

Fine, but musically I'm not convinced. Zeit has the feel of a total piece of work, created with a mindset that unified all four sides. Raum is based on several found sketches and compositions made over decades - which must be why it lacks a genuine "concept feel" and doesn't havee the same feel of a complete experience.

With Edgar gone, that would be impossible to achieve with Raum. Edgar has a credit on three tracks only; on the previous album Quantum Gate, Edgar's credit is absent from only one track.

Additionally, I wouldn't expect anything made now to match what TD accomplished in the '70s.

-Modern day TD may superficially link Raum to Zeit all they want

I'm not sure if they do. That's the way I look at it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 02:00
Does anyone know why the album Particles is not in the database? I assume it's just an error as it's available to download on Bandcamp.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 02:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Does anyone know why the album Particles is not in the database? I assume it's just an error as it's available to download on Bandcamp.

you can add the album yourself 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 02:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

you can add the album yourself 

Thanks, I may do but just wasn't sure if was omitted for a reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>