Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mike Oldfield's Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 21:54
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Man on the Rocks is awful, Amarok & Return to Ommadawn are excellent.

In that case, I doubt if I'll be adding Man on the Rocks to my Mike Oldfield shopping list. Tongue

I wouldn't say Man on the Rocks is awful... it's a nice pop album, but not more. Yet, I do love a pair of songs on it, the title track and Nuclear... perhaps you could check those ones out... and perhaps even buy the songs you like on ITunes or something.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 21:56

^ I suppose it seemed like a good idea at the time for Mike Oldfield to have John Cleese act as Master of Ceremonies on Tubular Bells 2003, but it's hard to take him seriously when he's best-known for Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. As you say, Tubular Bells 2003 was a pointless remake and you can't beat the original version with Vivian Stanshall. I was expecting Tubular Bells 2003 to be something magnificent like Return to Ommadawn or Tubular Bells II or Tubular Bells III, so that made the album even more disappointing to me. That's one of the great things about the Internet: you can find out which albums to avoid as well as which albums to go out and buy. Smile

I don't think Mike intended people to think the album was anything but a re-recording of his original... thus the 2003 instead of a part 4 thing. Yet, perhaps back then it wasn't so easy for a fan to find out what an artist was about when releasing an album, specially if it's not a top of the charts artist whose new album would be talked all around the radio, TV and magazines beforehand.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Man on the Rocks is awful, Amarok & Return to Ommadawn are excellent.

In that case, I doubt if I'll be adding Man on the Rocks to my Mike Oldfield shopping list. Tongue

I wouldn't say Man on the Rocks is awful... it's a nice pop album, but not more. Yet, I do love a pair of songs on it, the title track and Nuclear... perhaps you could check those ones out... and perhaps even buy the songs you like on ITunes or something.
I listened to Man on the Rocks for the first time yesterday and I really like it. It's a solid 4-star album for me and far preferable to Mike Oldfield's previous album full of songs, Earth Moving. It might not have been an Earth-moving experience listening to Man on the Rocks, but it was a much better album than I expected. It Rocks! Thumbs Up
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 19:43
Man on the Rocks might be the most un Mike-Oldfield album made by Mike Oldfield.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 23:10

Man on the Rocks might be the most un Mike-Oldfield album made by Mike Oldfield.
You're right about that. I doubt if I'd know the "Rocks" songs were by Mike Oldfield if I heard them played on the radio. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 00:19

You're right about that. I doubt if I'd know the "Rocks" songs were by Mike Oldfield if I heard them played on the radio. Smile

The most distinct aspect of Oldfield's playing is that slight 'delay' he achieves on the guitar. He's talked about it in interviews. I don't hear it at all on Man On The Rocks and that really bothers me. It's a bit like when I first heard ELP's In The Hot Seat album. I just thought what the f**k have they done with my favourite band?! There is only one other album I've felt like this about and that was Abacab Ouch
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 01:13
^ I felt the same way about Abacab too, and the Genesis I used to know and love were unrecognisable on Calling All Stations. Geek
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 07:13
Mike Oldfield's Albums

5 stars 1973: Tubular Bells - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzC2bxFjfePB04gxD0zZ38FI

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 16 2021 at 11:12
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 01:04
TB3 is very underrated imo although the best version is he performance from Horseguards Parade(on DVD). I can't listen to TB2 , its just a pale imitation of the original. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 02:46
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

TB3 is very underrated imo although the best version is he performance from Horseguards Parade(on DVD). I can't listen to TB2 , its just a pale imitation of the original. 

I love the trilogy of Tubular Bells albums equally, but Tubular Bells 2003 was a pointless carbon copy of the original album, the only major difference being John Cleese as Master of Ceremonies, who probably wasn't the best choice. Confused
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 07:41

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So many albums and I only own one of them......what a shame.

Which one? Let me guess..... Ommadawn?

The good news is that all of Mike Oldfield's full albums appear to be on YouTube at the moment, so this seemed like the perfect time for a Mike Oldfield albums tribute thread. Smile

I don’t have all of them, but it’s more than one!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 09:09
I only have Five Miles Out. It's...okay.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 10:43
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ It looks like that guy in the second photo has even more albums in his collection than I have, although mine are all on CD. I hope he has them all arranged in alphabetical order, otherwise how would he ever find anything. Smile

I don't organize in any order at all, so by definition no organization. I like it that way so then I just flip thru till I find something catches my eye.
I just built some record storage bins, I need to build 2 more to fit more I have in boxes/crates, each holds about 450-475 records.

Projecting out from your pictured collection, Catcher', is the Earth, Wind, & Fire album. Is it any good (it must be)? I remember an older brother giving me for Christmas That's the Way of the World the year it was released, and I scoffed, asking him to return it to wherever he bought it from. I now lament that attitude and decision and hope to collect 'World sometime in the future.

Edited by Rednight - January 16 2021 at 10:46
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 15:16

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I love the trilogy of Tubular Bells albums equally, but Tubular Bells 2003 was a pointless carbon copy of the original album, the only major difference being John Cleese as Master of Ceremonies, who probably wasn't the best choice. Confused

Yep agreed John Cleese is no Viv Stanshall for certain. TB 2003 was for audiophiles who want the best sound. If you have £25,000 of gear I'm sure it's well worth it. For the rest of us paupers its a pointless exercise.
Have you come across 'Mike Oldfield Boxed' . It was a 1975(or maybe 6) boxed set aimed at vinyl enthusiasts that feature alternative mixes of the first 3 albums plus some rarities but has also been available on CD. I particularly like the alternative mix of Hergest Ridge and I know I'm not alone. But also there is a different version of Sailors Hornpipe featuring Viv Stanshall. It's rather good fun!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 22:15
^ Well, I ended up getting the Tubular Bells 2003 instead of the original, mostly because it was the one available at the store when I was looking for it. I do enjoy it a lot, and have come to enjoy the Master of Ceremonies part... then, I compared the intro piece with the original version (which I had because of some New Age compilation), and thought the new one sounded better... specially, I remember, the bass sounded very clear and beautiful on the new version, while on the original I just couldn't hear it (perhaps that was corrected in one of his remasters or remixes or whatever). It is the Tubular Bells 2 the one I found rather dull too, indeed just a pale imitation of the original (though it does have a few very beautiful moments). And I was pleasantly surprised with #3, specially the Secrets songs and the far above the clouds one (a perfect and powerful way to close his Tubular Bells series).

Edited by Dellinger - January 21 2021 at 22:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456