Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rick Wakeman: The Caped Crusader of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2023 at 10:25
Rick Wakeman's Gas Tank - Episode 4  with special guests Steve Harley, the Strawbs, John Entwistle, Rick Parfitt and Ian Paice. 

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 01:58
Rick Wakeman's Gas Tank - Episode 5  with special guests Alvin Lee, Ian Paice, Howie Casey, Suzy Quatro and Steve Hackett.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 03:03
Rick Wakeman's Gas Tank - Episode 6  with special guests Roy Wood, Frankie Miller, Howie Casey, the Cimarons and Steve Hackett.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 08:00
So. One of my favourite Rick Wakeman albums with the psychedelic ensemble is the 1997 album “Out There.”

It has Damian Wilson on vocals and it kicks ass.

https://youtu.be/Mr2LDzydxms?si=0fnx8XrXW4GMqZFZ
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 08:04
I have enjoyed these 'Gas Tank' episodes.

It is a series I was totally unaware of! 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 09:27
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

So. One of my favourite Rick Wakeman albums with the psychedelic ensemble is the 1997 album “Out There.”

It does kick ass. But how did you get to hear it before Rick composed it? Big smile

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 09:51
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

It does kick ass. But how did you get to hear it before Rick composed it? Big smile

Oh. Ouch. It is 2003.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 10:28
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

I have enjoyed these 'Gas Tank' episodes.

It is a series I was totally unaware of! 
Me neither. I don't remember the series at all when it was first shown on Channel 4 in the early 1980's, but we now have a full Gas Tank of all six episodes to look forward to and I'm all revved up and raring to go. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 11 2023 at 10:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 03:24
5 stars 1999: Rick Wakeman - Return to the Centre of the Earth - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LsTzjhyPoSljWMK5h2ln9ce

I had to dig deep to find this three-part documentary on the making of Return to the Centre of the Earth from Rick Wakeman's official You Tube channel. Smile

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 16:47
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Rick Wakeman's Gas Tank - Episode 5  with special guests Alvin Lee, Ian Paice, Howie Casey, Suzy Quatro and Steve Hackett.

LOL "He's not a Virgo, I'll tell you that!"

Great interview with Suzi. Great episode. Clap
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2023 at 12:40
Hi,

I don't dislike any of his work, but I have not exactly bought a lot of it, as I thought that some of it was ... "mailed in" ... and not as interesting. I do have the first 3 albums, and that was the end of it. For someone that was brought up on classical music, this stuff is nice to listen to ... but in the end, it has way too much of a pop music sensibility than it does "serious" music, in my book.

But he has done some neat things ... none mentioned here. Gas Tank was nice and it showed some nice folks. Roy Wood was an interesting thing, the only sad thing is he played the simplest of stuff and if he had plunked down a thing or two from "MUSTARD" I think it would have been better and more representative of his work.  

Rick narrated the special on Vivaldi, which is FANTASTIC ... and I'm not sure many have ever seen it. He DOES KNOW a lot of music, and I think that it prevents him from being a more serious creative mind than the pop sensibilities he grew up with.

The other series, the one with the interviews is excellent and says a lot more about the music. The one with Ian Anderson is really fine, and in many ways sad. The one with the member from Black Sabbath he went to school with is another really good one. I would have liked to see the other shows ... apparently 5 of them ... because unlike the fun thing in GAS TANK, the other setting was more about the artistry of the guest, than it was about anything else. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2023 at 08:35
^ Judas Iscariot is that 'serious' piece of music (off Criminal Record). Admittedly it's damaged as an album by The Breathalyser although the first 3 tracks where almost a challenge to ELP with Wakeman, White and Squire doing their thing. I love the dynamics.
Also the 'New Age' Airs trilogy is very nice and the album he did with Damian Wilson (Out There) is great. IMO
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2023 at 13:56
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

[QUOTE=Psychedelic Paul]Rick Wakeman's Gas Tank - Episode 5  with special guests Alvin Lee, Ian Paice, Howie Casey, Suzi Quatro and Steve Hackett.

LOL "He's not a Virgo, I'll tell you that!"

Great interview with Suzi. Great episode. Clap
Someone once asked Suzi Quatro why she plays such an outsize bass guitar. She replied it's just a normal sized bass, but she's really small and only 4ft 11ins tall. Tongue 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2023 at 16:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Someone once asked Suzi Quatro why she plays such an outsize bass guitar. She replied it's just a normal sized bass, but she's really small and only 4ft 11ins tall. Tongue 
(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'826b1da10d4e7d6b',t:'MTcwMDA4OTI4Mi44MDQwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: none; visibility: ;">

Correct! Big smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2023 at 23:15
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ Judas Iscariot is that 'serious' piece of music (off Criminal Record). Admittedly it's damaged as an album by The Breathalyser although the first 3 tracks where almost a challenge to ELP with Wakeman, White and Squire doing their thing. I love the dynamics.
Also the 'New Age' Airs trilogy is very nice and the album he did with Damian Wilson (Out There) is great. IMO

I love Out There. And then there's Out of the Blue, a nice live companion to Out There, with the same line-up. That version of No Earthly Connection is great... I like it better than the full original album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819