Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rick wakeman ( no earthy connection )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rick wakeman ( no earthy connection )
    Posted: August 19 2020 at 16:45
I think i reviewed this album awhile ago but since the panademic, this is must for wakeman fans ufos,were a big thing back in the mid 70s ,so rick put together with the english rock ensemble a concept album about ufo,s, or the effect it had on him this album was a pure delight for me, being a yes fan but also a huge wakeman fan this record is great to listen anytime the singer sounds a lot like jon anderson the standouts are as following THE MAKER PART 111, PART V THE REAPER, THE PRISONER thanks for reading grant. * Also i know how rick got that waterfall sound * ugh !
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 19:54
This one was a minor disappointment for me, for it seemed to be well apreciated, and when I got it I found it hard to get into it. There is a recurring theme that I do love, but it doesn't seem to develop fully and it just frustrates me, so I actually prefer the live version of Out of the Blue... I usually dislike Medleys, but in this case it gets all the better parts and they sound even more cohesive than any of them sound in the original. The one song that I do love on the album is The Prisoner, and so the complaint I have with the Out of the Blue version is that I would prefer if the second part included The Realisation instead of The Prisoner. Also, Out There is supposed to be a continuation for No Earthly Connection, but I much prefer the newer one.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2020 at 04:32
Cool album. Strong Melodies with the occasional cheesy moment
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
rdenney View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rdenney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 14:46
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Excellent description. The crowd-talking segues and the overlays of earlier snippets come to mind as the cheesy moments. And, let's face it, the music has the maturity of genius but the philosophical ponderings were more age-appropriate. The "rain" sound effect begs the question: was the juice worth the squeeze?

But the sound structure, with brass, is a whole different concept than his other work, and I'd love to hear it live with the original instrumentation.

Rick "also likes the 'Out Of The Blue' medley" Denney
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 23:05
Originally posted by rdenney rdenney wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">Excellent description. The crowd-talking segues and the overlays of earlier snippets come to mind as the cheesy moments. And, let's face it, the music has the maturity of genius but the philosophical ponderings were more age-appropriate. The "rain" sound effect begs the question: was the juice worth the squeeze?
<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">
<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">But the sound structure, with brass, is a whole different concept than his other work, and I'd love to hear it live with the original instrumentation.
<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">
<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">Rick "also likes the 'Out Of The Blue' medley" Denney

Was it supposed to be a rain sound effect? I thought it was just a faucet running. And about the Out of the Blue medley, even though I usually hate medleys, in this case I think it's much better than the original album (except that I prefer the Prisoner part better on the original album... the only song I actually like as it appears in it).
rdenney View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rdenney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 11:03
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Was it supposed to be a rain sound effect? I thought it was just a faucet running. And about the Out of the Blue medley, even though I usually hate medleys, in this case I think it's much better than the original album (except that I prefer the Prisoner part better on the original album... the only song I actually like as it appears in it).

I think it was several faucets running. LOL

But I like the original arrangements with the brass musicians, which the medley in Out of the Blue didn't have. So, give me that medley but with the original instrumentation. 

Rick is best when he uses electronic keyboards to make electronic keyboard sounds, such as with his Moog solos. He validates those technologies musically when he uses them in that way, even when they sound goofy. Mellotron is an exception--it's supposed to simulate orchestral or choral sounds but it's so uniquely different from real orchestras that it became its own characteristic sound. But when Rick (or, as happens on the later tours I've seen on DVD, Adam) fills in the missing other musicians, it always sounds simulated to me, and loses clarity. (I might grant an exception to that sweeping generalization to the flute sounds on Red Planet, which were more realistic than usual.) It seems to me that No Earthly Connection created quite a different mood from the heroic orchestrations of King Arthur and Journey.

Rick "wishing NEC had better vocalists" Denney
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 11:34
Great album i thought one of vocalists sounded very similiar to jon anderson.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 11:34
Great album i thought one of vocalists sounded very similiar to jon anderson.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 17:22
Originally posted by rdenney rdenney wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I think it was several faucets running. LOL

But I like the original arrangements with the brass musicians, which the medley in Out of the Blue didn't have. So, give me that medley but with the original instrumentation. 

Rick is best when he uses electronic keyboards to make electronic keyboard sounds, such as with his Moog solos. He validates those technologies musically when he uses them in that way, even when they sound goofy. Mellotron is an exception--it's supposed to simulate orchestral or choral sounds but it's so uniquely different from real orchestras that it became its own characteristic sound. But when Rick (or, as happens on the later tours I've seen on DVD, Adam) fills in the missing other musicians, it always sounds simulated to me, and loses clarity. (I might grant an exception to that sweeping generalization to the flute sounds on Red Planet, which were more realistic than usual.) It seems to me that No Earthly Connection created quite a different mood from the heroic orchestrations of King Arthur and Journey.

Rick "wishing NEC had better vocalists" Denney

I have a live album, I think from the tour of No Earthly Connection, with the brass musicians as part of the line-up. I had high hopes for that one, but didn't really satisfy me, something just sounded off. It, of course, had some selections from NEC, but they didn't work as well as I hoped for, either, and still prefer the Out of the Blue version (which, actually, sounds really great along with the album Out There, which has the same line-up as Out of the Blue, and is some sort of continuation to No Earthly Connection, so that they go very nicely together).
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 17:46
This and 6 wives are my fave Wakeman. Yes should have given him more control. The drop off in melody from 72-77 is where I lost some interest in Yes
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 19:35
after several listens it grew on me ,if he would stage it come what may another TOMMY.
Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2020 at 13:02
I love Rick. I have the vintage vinyl with the aluminum foil to roll over the cover. However, I prefer Myths and Legends Of King Arthur to No Earthly Connections which suffers from a few slumps. White Rock is also an excellent album !

Edited by Muskrat - August 30 2020 at 13:03
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2020 at 21:19
No earthly reason why anyone should buy a lot of Wakeman's albums.   
Wink
Getting serious for a moment it's interesting that the only two 4 star lp's he has (based on PA ratings)  is the first and the one just released...The Mars thingy.
A lot of stuff in between.....he obviously likes to record himself.
 I bought a couple of the early ones many years ago but only play the 6 Wives one.....he is certainly a talented keyboard player but most of his albums are simply not very interesting.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rdenney View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdenney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 07:12
Being interesting to any one person is a matter of taste, of course, and everyone has their own.

I recall attending a bluegrass festival with my wife, and Punch Brothers were the headliners (this was about 8 or 10 years ago). I enjoyed it, but it didn't change my world view. I enjoy bluegrass in measured amounts, and appreciate it when it is done well, and they did it well. But one member of our group said, "Yes, but the sheer technique!" Some would say that is enough, and others would not. But for me, prog is about technique. Some prog has words clever enough to make it about the message, but most doesn't. And that doesn't apply to an instrumental album anyway. I want two reactions when I listen to an album: Admiration, and elevation. The elevation comes when the music commands my attention. I can't listen to that stuff at work; I'd never get anything done. Admiration comes from respecting the decisions made by the musician, and the skill with which those decisions were expressed.

But when I listen even to Wakeman's inappropriately categorized "new age" stuff, I don't hear the George Winston version of minimalism revisited, which to me is no more than pleasant background music, I hear Rick Wakeman, playing in a different style. My wife doesn't much like prog but she loves that stuff. And she loves it because it's musical, and the musical message is in no way clouded by any detectable flaws in technique. (She feels exactly the same way when she hears Steve Howe play guitar in the classical or even folk style, which he does at every concert.) Wakeman put out a lot of stuff, and not all of it is great. But a surprising amount of it has a devoted audience, notwithstanding that it may be a different audience, at least in part, from prog fans. I enjoy his piano albums every bit as much as his prog albums, but they suit my taste.

We also have to remember that Wakeman is a musician and early on became accustomed to owning vast stages and audiences. Of course he wants to record. That's his job. All his other side hustles have been sustained by that, and the only way musicians eat these days is by assembling a range of side hustles. Not all my professional work has been world-class (though I think some of it has), but I still did it because, you know, food, shelter, and the welfare of one's family is important. We are not obligated to like it, of course, but if what he's recording suits our taste, he's pretty reliable about delivering it at a high level. The non-prog stuff was something he did because he needed the money and that's what was popular at the time, but doing it because he needed the money doesn't seem to me to undermine the product's value as art.

His rock operas are overblown as narratives, but they are great fun as spectacles while also being musically interesting and compelling. They are not great philosophy. But I'm a musician--I hardly listen to the words. That's where I put No Earthly Connection: musically compelling but no need to read the words on the record liner.

By the way, Wakeman gave a concert on Swedish television in 1980, which is on Youtube. He plays a medley from NEC that I prefer to the medley on Out of the Blue, though it still does not have the same brass-oriented soundscape.

Rick "whose wife will allow Country Airs in the car on long trips, but not Six Wives" Denney
 Post Reply Post Reply