Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mellotron and Moog synthesizer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 13:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

@cstack3: I know that you are a bass player but you're still an expert on the 'tron. Cheers.

Thank you, my friend!  I first laid hands upon an actual Mellotron about 1975, at a music store in Champaign, Illinois USA where Gary Strater (late bassist of Starcastle) used to work.  I put headphones on, and it was true love! 

Nasty, mechanical, temperamental beasts, but so are grand pianos, and church pipe organs etc.  

No one has discussed Patrick Moraz' contributions to keyboards yet.  When I saw the Yes "Relayer" show (16 November, 1974), I was quite stunned by the sounds coming out of the PA during songs like "Sound Chaser"....my instinctual reference was to lead guitar, but Steve was calmly playing rhythm.  I then focused upon Moraz, who was working on his Mini-Moog synths with BOTH hands, manipulating the oscillators and filters very aggressively!!  

In an ancient interview in "Keyboard" magazine, I recall that Moraz said "I've invented a new way of playing the synthesizer.  I'm much more aggressive with how I use the oscillators...." (paraphrasing from 40 years ago!). 

Moraz was also frustrated with the mechanical limitations of the Mellotron, and so he was an early adapter of a very unique instrument called the "Orchestron."  Instead of tapes, this used spinning optical discs that contained the sound samples, and was played with laser beams.  It was reputed to be much more stable than the Mellotron, but I don't know how many were ever made/sold....I myself only saw one, in a music store near Chicago.  Sadly, I didn't get to play it! 

"Moraz brought more to Sound Chaser than just the opening. The strings sound different than those used previously on Yes records, as Moraz had a vast array of keyboards in his arsenal. He was one of the early adopters of the Orchestron, a somewhat obscure synth made by Vako. The instrument was not unlike the Mellotron in principle but used optical disks instead of tapes as the source of sounds. While typically a single keyboard instrument, Patrick Moraz had a three manual custom model created for him. He used it to a good measure on Relayer, and you can hear it right after Steve Howe’s solo, around the 3:30 mark on Sound Chaser. Moraz’s jazz fusion influences show well on his Mini Moog solo towards the end of the piece at the 7:45 mark. It reminds me more of Chick Corea or Jan Hammer than a Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson solo, adding to the Fusion-influenced adventure that Yes took with the Relayer album."

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 14:12
For my money, nobody beats Jan Hammer on the MiniMoog when it comes to expressive soloing. His pitch bends should be registered as lethal weapons! (I also love Jan's near-ubiquitous Rhodes playing in the '70s).

Exhibit A: "No Fear" from Like Children (Goodman isn't on this piece, this is all Jan, soloing over an Oberheim sequencer).

Exhibit B: "Power" from Stanley Clarke (Jan's solo is at the 2:00 mark).

Exhibit C: "Eris" from The Joy of Flying (this track is played entirely by the late Tony Williams and Jan, no other personnel).

And then we have this cool upload, which features a bunch of different solos by Jan from his Mahavishnu days! (And I didn't even get to his work with John Abercrombie, David Earle Johnson, Jeff Beck, Al Di Meola, etc.)

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 14:29
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

@cstack3: I know that you are a bass player but you're still an expert on the 'tron. Cheers.

Thank you, my friend!  I first laid hands upon an actual Mellotron about 1975, at a music store in Champaign, Illinois USA where Gary Strater (late bassist of Starcastle) used to work.  I put headphones on, and it was true love! 

Nasty, mechanical, temperamental beasts, but so are grand pianos, and church pipe organs etc.  

No one has discussed Patrick Moraz' contributions to keyboards yet.  When I saw the Yes "Relayer" show (16 November, 1974), I was quite stunned by the sounds coming out of the PA during songs like "Sound Chaser"....my instinctual reference was to lead guitar, but Steve was calmly playing rhythm.  I then focused upon Moraz, who was working on his Mini-Moog synths with BOTH hands, manipulating the oscillators and filters very aggressively!!  

In an ancient interview in "Keyboard" magazine, I recall that Moraz said "I've invented a new way of playing the synthesizer.  I'm much more aggressive with how I use the oscillators...." (paraphrasing from 40 years ago!). 

Moraz was also frustrated with the mechanical limitations of the Mellotron, and so he was an early adapter of a very unique instrument called the "Orchestron."  Instead of tapes, this used spinning optical discs that contained the sound samples, and was played with laser beams.  It was reputed to be much more stable than the Mellotron, but I don't know how many were ever made/sold....I myself only saw one, in a music store near Chicago.  Sadly, I didn't get to play it! 

"Moraz brought more to Sound Chaser than just the opening. The strings sound different than those used previously on Yes records, as Moraz had a vast array of keyboards in his arsenal. He was one of the early adopters of the Orchestron, a somewhat obscure synth made by Vako. The instrument was not unlike the Mellotron in principle but used optical disks instead of tapes as the source of sounds. While typically a single keyboard instrument, Patrick Moraz had a three manual custom model created for him. He used it to a good measure on Relayer, and you can hear it right after Steve Howe’s solo, around the 3:30 mark on Sound Chaser. Moraz’s jazz fusion influences show well on his Mini Moog solo towards the end of the piece at the 7:45 mark. It reminds me more of Chick Corea or Jan Hammer than a Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson solo, adding to the Fusion-influenced adventure that Yes took with the Relayer album."

In the mid 70s I used to drive two hours to a music store in Dallas that had Mellotrons and one Orchestron. The Orchestron sounded very similar to a Mellotron and was easier to use. I'm not sure why they didn't catch on. They also came with a smal stack of sounds, each ep sized floppy disk contained a different instrument.
A couple other mid 70s favorites included the Univox Organizer, a Hammond B3 imitation, later picked up by the Crumar company, and the Univox Mini Korg, a poor man's Mini Moog that had some unique sounds all its own. I still have a lot of those 70s keyboards.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 14:55
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

If you want to hear what Heaven sounds like, skip ahead to 4:10.

Is it this that was used omn the intro to Elton Johns Funeral for aFriend /Love Lies Bleeding, i know David Henschel played ARP on the intro but which modell?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 15:13
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

If you want to hear what Heaven sounds like, skip ahead to 4:10.
Is it this that was used omn the intro to Elton Johns Funeral for aFriend /Love Lies Bleeding, i know David Henschel played ARP on the intro but which modell?

That was the ARP Odyssey, a smaller version of the 2600 earmarked for the touring keyboardist.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 15:23
^ I have one of those (Odyssey), its not my favorite.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 00:49
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

In the mid 70s I used to drive two hours to a music store in Dallas that had Mellotrons and one Orchestron. The Orchestron sounded very similar to a Mellotron and was easier to use. I'm not sure why they didn't catch on. They also came with a smal stack of sounds, each ep sized floppy disk contained a different instrument.
A couple other mid 70s favorites included the Univox Organizer, a Hammond B3 imitation, later picked up by the Crumar company, and the Univox Mini Korg, a poor man's Mini Moog that had some unique sounds all its own. I still have a lot of those 70s keyboards.

Thank you, that is an excellent contribution!  

As the 70s progressed, various "string synthesizers" came onto the market.  These were not comparable to the rich sampled sounds of the Mellotron, but they were easy to transport and play onstage, and they were a feature of many bands.  Interestingly, disco bands seemed to embrace that sound enthusiastically!  The ARP String Ensemble seemed to be the flagship product, but I know there were knockoffs. 

Eventually, some fairly sophisticated little synths came out at toyshop prices, spurred on by Casio.  These had impressive settings such as pipe organ, piano etc.   I own a tiny Casio sampling synth with mini-keys that I quite love....it is polyphonic, so I can sample my own voice, or guitar chords, screaming cats, anything I want, and THEN play the thing through any form of amplification I want from the output jack!  Much fun through a 100 watt amplifier!!  Have fun with your toys!  This is the Casio that I own:

Edited by cstack3 - September 09 2020 at 00:53
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 05:11

I think that Moraz was one of the first to use extreme manipulation of oscillation to create a lead instrument. Something that New Wave bands like Ultravox would use like crazy in the 80s.

A short mellotron tale. One of my first jobs as a recording engineer (assistant engineer) was to create a tape loop of two string notes of the mellotron in order to make the notes last longer than the 8 second limit of the mellotron playback. I was told that it was to be used for some Three Dog Night song! Never heard it on the radio so I guess it wasn't a hit. LOL!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 06:24

Thank you, that is an excellent contribution!  

As the 70s progressed, various "string synthesizers" came onto the market.  These were not comparable to the rich sampled sounds of the Mellotron, but they were easy to transport and play onstage, and they were a feature of many bands.  Interestingly, disco bands seemed to embrace that sound enthusiastically!  The ARP String Ensemble seemed to be the flagship product, but I know there were knockoffs. 

Eventually, some fairly sophisticated little synths came out at toyshop prices, spurred on by Casio.  These had impressive settings such as pipe organ, piano etc.   I own a tiny Casio sampling synth with mini-keys that I quite love....it is polyphonic, so I can sample my own voice, or guitar chords, screaming cats, anything I want, and THEN play the thing through any form of amplification I want from the output jack!  Much fun through a 100 watt amplifier!!  Have fun with your toys!  This is the Casio that I own:

I own one of those SK1's also. They were sold by Macys of all people. I owned two, but sold one of them. I used to take the SK1 to school and let students say something into it and then turn it into a peice of music, lots of fun. I have a couple of 70s string synthesizers, including the Arp Quartet, Crumar Orchestrator and the Chroma Polaris. I could have bought a Solina used from a store, but I passed on it because all the lettering had wore off.
Bernie Worrell of Funkadelic got a lot of mileage out of the string synthesizer, not just for orchestrations, but also just playing it like others would play a piano or organ.

Edited by Easy Money - September 09 2020 at 06:27
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 09:35
Two friends back in high school owned Casio keyboards.

One guy had the SK-1, which really is a toy, though it does create loops on the fly. Fun to goof off with.

The other friend, who I met much later, had the CZ-101, a legit entry-level synth. This machine sounded pretty cool, if similar to Yamaha's DX series, and it had some good bass sounds. Also a good synth if you were into electronic new age stuff.

VintageSynth's breakdown:
Quote It's small, it's cheap, and it's good! This is the pea-size version of the CZ-1000 with a mini-keyboard. The CZ-101 is a digital synth and although the programming is somewhat limited there are plenty of analog-like traits and sounds to interest most anybody. It has a good 8-stage envelope design and uses Phase Distortion (PD) synthesis which gives it some pretty great sounds. The sounds are very similar to the Yamaha DX synthesizers, and they're much more affordable. PD is Casio's own take on digital synthesis from the mid-eighties and is found in all of their CZ series. You basically modify digital waveforms (it has eight basic wave types, e.g. sine waves) to create various sounds. It can create wild new sounds, notably percussive sounds. But it's not too easy to program if you don't know much about waveform theory and design.

Edited by verslibre - September 09 2020 at 09:41
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 10:21

What is it about it that you don't like? Or is it that you have many better synths? 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 11:07

What is it about it that you don't like? Or is it that you have many better synths? 
A little bit of both of those. I don't like the layout, its confusing to me, and the sounds are just not that strong, at least with me at the controls.
Its kind of unstable as well. Now lets compare it to two from the 70s that I like. The Korg MS 20 has a very logical layout and it has powerful sounds. Its also a very stable synth.

Another favorite is the Univox Mini Korg, a very limited synth, but it has some of the very best solo sounds I've ever used, and it is extremely stable.
The only 70s Moog i have is the little Radio Shack one, and it is also surprisingly stable and nice sounding.
The Odyssey has always been a disappointment to me, it just seems weak in every area, but that may just be my fault at not getting the best out of it.

Edited by Easy Money - September 09 2020 at 11:08
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 11:39

A little bit of both of those. I don't like the layout, its confusing to me, and the sounds are just not that strong, at least with me at the controls.
Its kind of unstable as well. Now lets compare it to two from the 70s that I like. The Korg MS 20 has a very logical layout and it has powerful sounds. Its also a very stable synth.

Another favorite is the Univox Mini Korg, a very limited synth, but it has some of the very best solo sounds I've ever used, and it is extremely stable.
The only 70s Moog i have is the little Radio Shack one, and it is also surprisingly stable and nice sounding.
The Odyssey has always been a disappointment to me, it just seems weak in every area, but that may just be my fault at not getting the best out of it.

It may have more bulk, but I've always had the impression that the 2600 > Odyssey.

The Korg MS-20 is cool. Do you remember a short-lived band called Yeti, and their excellent album Things to Come? Their late keyboardist Doug Ferguson used the MS-20.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 12:31
Let me know when you guys get up to the Prophet 5. It's the only real synth I've owned so it's a sentimental favorite. (Aside from some cheap Casios. 😬)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 12:48

It may have more bulk, but I've always had the impression that the 2600 > Odyssey.

The Korg MS-20 is cool. Do you remember a short-lived band called Yeti, and their excellent album Things to Come? Their late keyboardist Doug Ferguson used the MS-20.

I just listened to them on youtube. Great band and a good match for the MS 20. Korg products always have a big massive bass sound.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 13:15

Let me know when you guys get up to the Prophet 5. It's the only real synth I've owned so it's a sentimental favorite. (Aside from some cheap Casios. 😬)

I'd love to have one...

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 01:35

I'd love to have one...

I could listen to those sweet tones all day.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 02:28

Ahhh...the lovely Prophet 5!!  Many bands in Chicago had those onstage back in the day, they had a lovely, rich sound!!  It was my favorite synth for many years and still might be!  
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 10:08
I like what the Mellotron did for Spring.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 02:22
Got a soft spot for the Korg MS series. I had an original MS-10 back in the early 80's, and I've got the reissue MS-20 Mini. 

A friend of mine overhauls analogue synths, he's just working on an original MS-20 at the moment. The Korg uses a different set of input voltages, compared to the 1V/Oct standard on most synths, so it was always going to be a dead end. 

I've built several variations of the Korg's filter: there's not a lot to them from an electronics viewpoint, ditto the Polivoks, Minimoog etc. 

Here's my MS, add on wood sides. Incidentally, the bass is not as full as mythology would have it. 

I'd actually have an Odyssey, but the prices are frankly ludicrous for the Korg one, and it was always a synth you "nearly liked" back in the early 80's. Walked past tons of them in music shops then. 

Incidentally, if my memory serves, I did see a second hand (at least) Melotron in a music/junk shop in Manchester in the early 80's. No one wanted it, given the reputation they had for reliability and problems in changing the tapes. I think I'd still walk past one now, even at 80's junk shop prices. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - September 13 2020 at 02:30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>